12 Circulated Lincoln Cents Still Being Found In Pocket Change

CoinHELP!

Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a large group on Facebook and help admin a couple more plus a member of several others. During the course of last year I saw several members find rare coins in their change. It's like winning the lottery, odds and all, but they did make some good finds and shared in our groups. One was a 1969-S Lincoln Doubled Die and PCGS graded is AU and another found the first "Mule" counter die clash on a modern coin and had it graded, just to mention the top two.

The reason they found these coins was education and listening to experienced group members on what to look for. So I created a video with some of the top coins to look for and hopefully this will help someone find a valuable coin. If I didn't think it was possible then I wouldn't bother, but there has to be more of these coins out there.

Upvote 0

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the end what happens is people watch these videos without an inkling of coin knowledge. Then they show up 3 times a week on coin forums proud of the "1982D small date copper cent that's worth a million dollars! Then they spend the next two days calling knowledgeable people haters because they tell the ignorant people that it's either copper plated zinc or it's a large date. Knowledgeable people don't have to be told what to look for. Ignorant people don't pay enough attention to said video to know all of the facts. They only hear they will be rich and go from there. I can't count the times people show up on other forums I frequent and want to know where to sell their 1969 "double die" cent, the one that's ALWAYS a coin with md. Go to any video on YouTube and read the comments from those people. That will tell you all you need to know!
I'm just saying,
Enamel7

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's an example. A member on this forum does said videos. Just today someone on another forum listed his videos as one of the top ones giving misleading and inaccurate information. I smiled when I read it!

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are examples from your video. You call them "double dies". The correct terminology is "doubled" die. Second example is calling a coin "no mint mark". The correct way to describe it is "Philadelphia issue".

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You also show a 1983 cent and list it as a counterclash. The picture is of a coin with a cud. And of course you listed the 1982 D small date! To my knowledge only one has been found. Same ole videos, just different people producing them.

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I completely agree enamel. In fact, I'm struggling to figure out what audience this is meant for.

Can't be for the newbies because they'll think everything is valuable, become frustrated when their "discoveries" are proven to be fool's gold, and then forget about the hobby.

Can't be for collecting vets since, as you said, we know better.

I think it's just a platform for armchair experts to self-broadcast. The OP means well I suppose, but not only is his terminology off, the editing is really rough (some coins get close-ups, some don't) and it could've benefited from an actual script. The ad-libbed dialogue is awfully clumsy ("Now, the thing about that is...it's just the '99...the one that's worth the most" That adds nothing to what you already said.).

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I completely agree enamel. In fact, I'm struggling to figure out what audience this is meant for.

Can't be for the newbies because they'll think everything is valuable, become frustrated when their "discoveries" are proven to be fool's gold, and then forget about the hobby.

Can't be for collecting vets since, as you said, we know better.

I think it's just a platform for armchair experts to self-broadcast. The OP means well I suppose, but not only is his terminology off, the editing is really rough (some coins get close-ups, some don't) and it could've benefited from an actual script. The ad-libbed dialogue is awfully clumsy ("Now, the thing about that is...it's just the '99...the one that's worth the most" That adds nothing to what you already said.).

its just a ploy to get people excited...but more importantly get views on the videos.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You also show a 1983 cent and list it as a counterclash. The picture is of a coin with a cud. And of course you listed the 1982 D small date! To my knowledge only one has been found. Same ole videos, just different people producing them.

had to check my "lot" of '82 P&D/Lg/Sm/copper/Zincolns-- YUP.... only bottle that's empty???--- '82-D small copper --- GO FIGGER :BangHead:---- remembered a booklet I read in the 1960's--- with the '43 copper penny worth a million bucks.....:censored::BangHead:---- still lookin'_____:laughing9:

Coincrazed

Aug 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
In the end what happens is people watch these videos without an inkling of coin knowledge. Then they show up 3 times a week on coin forums proud of the "1982D small date copper cent that's worth a million dollars! Then they spend the next two days calling knowledgeable people haters because they tell the ignorant people that it's either copper plated zinc or it's a large date. Knowledgeable people don't have to be told what to look for. Ignorant people don't pay enough attention to said video to know all of the facts. They only hear they will be rich and go from there. I can't count the times people show up on other forums I frequent and want to know where to sell their 1969 "double die" cent, the one that's ALWAYS a coin with md. Go to any video on YouTube and read the comments from those people. That will tell you all you need to know!
I'm just saying,
Enamel7

No further comment required.

OP
OP
CoinHELP!

CoinHELP!

Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I most certainly am trying to reach the newbie since I want people to look at their change and find decent coins. I mention that it's like winning the lottery (it's still cheaper than buying a ticket). I have a forum on my website, Facebook group with over 4,500 members, and a brick and mortar coin shop. I have people bringing in coins and sending and post messages all the time. It's called patience and wanting to help people.

We had one member find a 1969-S DDO and another found a multi-dimensional die clash or mule die clash, according to who you talk to, Ken Potter or Wexler. Also several doubled dies have been found by members of my group and website community. Most don't think they will get rich they just enjoy searching coins for varieties and errors. You let the few define the whole.

I know there's more good coins out there and I want to let as many know as possible so they're found. It is exciting for me.

I actually appreciate the criticism more than the views because I want to do better videos. I am my own editor, producer and "writer" since I do ad-lib most of the video. I want it that way, almost live experience and not too stiff.

However, let the criticism be accurate.

1. I do say "doubled" die in the video but where I came from I run them together a bit. I have a habit of running some words together when I speak. I most certainly know doubled die are doubled dies.

2. The 1983 is a counter clash FS-401 listed in the cherry pickers. I should have pointed out the areas above the date and around LIBERTY that shows clash marks. CCL(T2)-1c-1983-01 : Mad Die Clashes

3. The it is true the cents without a mint mark are struck at the Philadelphia Mint but I was highlighting the fact that there's also a D (Denver Mint) version that is not worth as much, so this is the version without the mint mark. That is just nit-picking. I wasn't misleading people that the no mint mark was the error or variety.

It is not a ploy but an attempt to show people what to look for. In my groups and forum we get all types of minor damage and errors and I source some of my videos to show them what to look for instead of wasting time on minor errors that don't add any value.

I would also like a link to the forum that list my video as misleading information.

Thanks for all the comments.

Last edited:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wasn't talking about you, it's another member that does this.

NoThisIsPatrick

Jan 8, 2015
Washington
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Enamel is coin god. I’m on Enamel’s side with anything coin related.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On another youtube channel, apparently not yours, the feigned excitement is nauseating. I watch funny animals on youtube.

Coincrazed

Aug 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Enamel is coin god. I’m on Enamel’s side with anything coin related.

I agree 100%. Enamel7, while I used to troll him incessantly when I was younger, has been involved with serious Numismatics for years; even more than I have. He is the most knowledgeable person regarding Numismatics that we have on this board. I will say I'm the second most knowledgeable here in regards to Numismatics on this forum, after him. Perhaps I sound cocky, but I have been buying and selling coins for a decade now, and I have an advanced grasp of the field. Niether I nor Enamel feel the need to post videos on YouTube just to hear ourselves talk. Between the two of us, we possess greater depth regarding coins than the average hobbyist roll hunter.

Last edited:

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Perhaps I sound cocky, but I have been buying and selling coins for a decade now, and I have an advanced grasp of the field.... Between the two of us, we possess greater depth regarding coins than the average hobbyist roll hunter.

Yeah, you sound incredibly cocky! 🙄

Dude, many if not most of the members here have multiple decades of experience buying and selling coins, and many also have brick and mortar stores like the OP, and have had those for decades.

No argument with your last statement, but chill out!

Coincrazed

Aug 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, you sound incredibly cocky! ��

Dude, many if not most of the members here have multiple decades of experience buying and selling coins, and many also have brick and mortar stores like the OP, and have had those for decades.

No argument with your last statement, but chill out!

"Many if not most"?? Where are these folks you speak of, and how come they are not chiming in and offering their insight regarding Numismatics like Enamel and I have been??

I'm not asking about those who slap videos of self promotion on the board from time to time and then disappear either.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been collecting since the 60's, and only wish this web site was avail back then, very informative & educational in the hobby. Thanks guys, the pros & cons. DozerD

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone that has chimed in on this thread has experience and we've all probably posted comments that were quickly constructed and taken the wrong way. It's understandable that we tend to defend those we have known for a long time.

I've known both Daniel and Enamel since getting back into the hobby 6 years ago. Both are very experienced, knowledgeable and interested in helping correct misinformation in the hobby. There always seems a better way to do everything but I commend anyone willing to put themselves out there and share their knowledge and experience. I spend a lot of time on respective sites thanking them both, because they deserve it and I try to show my appreciation.

I don't think any of us get it right 100% of the time but I want to thank everyone here for sharing their experience to help me learn.
(BTW- If anyone noticed they are both right about the 1983p Lincoln cent: it is a Counter clash with an very large cud on the reverse. Love those '83 LMC)

Thanks again to all that help and contribute (especially Enamel and Daniel), Cliff/Petespockets55

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread