Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: 12 Circulated Lincoln Cents Still Being Found In Pocket Change

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    I love to help people learn about the coins they find or collect.

Aug 2009
    Ohio
    Whites
    64 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

12 Circulated Lincoln Cents Still Being Found In Pocket Change

I have a large group on Facebook and help admin a couple more plus a member of several others. During the course of last year I saw several members find rare coins in their change. It's like winning the lottery, odds and all, but they did make some good finds and shared in our groups. One was a 1969-S Lincoln Doubled Die and PCGS graded is AU and another found the first "Mule" counter die clash on a modern coin and had it graded, just to mention the top two.

The reason they found these coins was education and listening to experienced group members on what to look for. So I created a video with some of the top coins to look for and hopefully this will help someone find a valuable coin. If I didn't think it was possible then I wouldn't bother, but there has to be more of these coins out there.

us
    Coincrazed

Aug 2013
    150 times
    Coin Roll Hunting and Numismatics
    Here we go again........
    "Here's the smell of the blood still: All the perfumes of Arabia will not sweeten this little hand." - William Shakespeare, 'Macbeth'

us
    Apr 2005
    North Carolina
    Garrett GTI 2500 Garrett AT Gold
    2265 times
    In the end what happens is people watch these videos without an inkling of coin knowledge. Then they show up 3 times a week on coin forums proud of the "1982D small date copper cent that's worth a million dollars! Then they spend the next two days calling knowledgeable people haters because they tell the ignorant people that it's either copper plated zinc or it's a large date. Knowledgeable people don't have to be told what to look for. Ignorant people don't pay enough attention to said video to know all of the facts. They only hear they will be rich and go from there. I can't count the times people show up on other forums I frequent and want to know where to sell their 1969 "double die" cent, the one that's ALWAYS a coin with md. Go to any video on YouTube and read the comments from those people. That will tell you all you need to know!
    I'm just saying,
    Enamel7
    2019 COIN ROLL HUNTING TOTALS!

Wheats..7
    Buffalos..0
    war nickels.0
    Silv Dimes...-0
    Silv Quarters-0/0
    Barbers-0/0
    Walker 0
    Bens- 0
    Kenn. 90%- 0
    Kenn. 40%- 0
    Proof- 0
    Silv. Proof -0
    Commemorative-0/0

us
    Apr 2005
    North Carolina
    2265 times
    Here's an example. A member on this forum does said videos. Just today someone on another forum listed his videos as one of the top ones giving misleading and inaccurate information. I smiled when I read it!

Wheats..7
    Buffalos..0
    war nickels.0
    Silv Dimes...-0
    Silv Quarters-0/0
    Barbers-0/0
    Walker 0
    Bens- 0
    Kenn. 90%- 0
    Kenn. 40%- 0
    Proof- 0
    Silv. Proof -0
    Commemorative-0/0

us
    Apr 2005
    North Carolina
    2265 times
    Here are examples from your video. You call them "double dies". The correct terminology is "doubled" die. Second example is calling a coin "no mint mark". The correct way to describe it is "Philadelphia issue".

Wheats..7
    Buffalos..0
    war nickels.0
    Silv Dimes...-0
    Silv Quarters-0/0
    Barbers-0/0
    Walker 0
    Bens- 0
    Kenn. 90%- 0
    Kenn. 40%- 0
    Proof- 0
    Silv. Proof -0
    Commemorative-0/0

us
    Apr 2005
    North Carolina
    2265 times
    You also show a 1983 cent and list it as a counterclash. The picture is of a coin with a cud. And of course you listed the 1982 D small date! To my knowledge only one has been found. Same ole videos, just different people producing them.

Wheats..7
    Buffalos..0
    war nickels.0
    Silv Dimes...-0
    Silv Quarters-0/0
    Barbers-0/0
    Walker 0
    Bens- 0
    Kenn. 90%- 0
    Kenn. 40%- 0
    Proof- 0
    Silv. Proof -0
    Commemorative-0/0

us
    Mar 2005
    Vegas
    183 times
    I completely agree enamel. In fact, I'm struggling to figure out what audience this is meant for.

Can't be for the newbies because they'll think everything is valuable, become frustrated when their "discoveries" are proven to be fool's gold, and then forget about the hobby.

Can't be for collecting vets since, as you said, we know better.

I think it's just a platform for armchair experts to self-broadcast. The OP means well I suppose, but not only is his terminology off, the editing is really rough (some coins get close-ups, some don't) and it could've benefited from an actual script. The ad-libbed dialogue is awfully clumsy ("Now, the thing about that is...it's just the '99...the one that's worth the most" That adds nothing to what you already said.).
    Diggin-N-Dumps, lairmo and enamel7 like this.
    Last appearance in pocket change:

Wheat penny: 1940 (10/12/18)
    Silver: 1964 quarter (12/20/18)

Charter Member
    us
    Diggin up TEXAS!

Sep 2009
    Fort Worth,Texas
    CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
    3445 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Immy View Post
    I completely agree enamel. In fact, I'm struggling to figure out what audience this is meant for.

Can't be for the newbies because they'll think everything is valuable, become frustrated when their "discoveries" are proven to be fool's gold, and then forget about the hobby.

Can't be for collecting vets since, as you said, we know better.

I think it's just a platform for armchair experts to self-broadcast. The OP means well I suppose, but not only is his terminology off, the editing is really rough (some coins get close-ups, some don't) and it could've benefited from an actual script. The ad-libbed dialogue is awfully clumsy ("Now, the thing about that is...it's just the '99...the one that's worth the most" That adds nothing to what you already said.).
    its just a ploy to get people excited...but more importantly get views on the videos.

us
    ebay "ulster-relic"

Dec 2012
    port ewen ny
    AT-PRO
    6315 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by enamel7 View Post
    You also show a 1983 cent and list it as a counterclash. The picture is of a coin with a cud. And of course you listed the 1982 D small date! To my knowledge only one has been found. Same ole videos, just different people producing them.
    had to check my "lot" of '82 P&D/Lg/Sm/copper/Zincolns-- YUP.... only bottle that's empty--- '82-D small copper --- GO FIGGER ---- remembered a booklet I read in the 1960's--- with the '43 copper penny worth a million bucks.....---- still lookin'_____
    enamel7 likes this.

us
    Coincrazed

Aug 2013
    150 times
    Quote Originally Posted by enamel7 View Post
    In the end what happens is people watch these videos without an inkling of coin knowledge. Then they show up 3 times a week on coin forums proud of the "1982D small date copper cent that's worth a million dollars! Then they spend the next two days calling knowledgeable people haters because they tell the ignorant people that it's either copper plated zinc or it's a large date. Knowledgeable people don't have to be told what to look for. Ignorant people don't pay enough attention to said video to know all of the facts. They only hear they will be rich and go from there. I can't count the times people show up on other forums I frequent and want to know where to sell their 1969 "double die" cent, the one that's ALWAYS a coin with md. Go to any video on YouTube and read the comments from those people. That will tell you all you need to know!
    I'm just saying,
    Enamel7
    No further comment required.
    enamel7 and GlenDronach like this.
    "Here's the smell of the blood still: All the perfumes of Arabia will not sweeten this little hand." - William Shakespeare, 'Macbeth'

us
    I love to help people learn about the coins they find or collect.

Aug 2009
    Ohio
    Whites
    64 times
    I most certainly am trying to reach the newbie since I want people to look at their change and find decent coins. I mention that it's like winning the lottery (it's still cheaper than buying a ticket). I have a forum on my website, Facebook group with over 4,500 members, and a brick and mortar coin shop. I have people bringing in coins and sending and post messages all the time. It's called patience and wanting to help people.

We had one member find a 1969-S DDO and another found a multi-dimensional die clash or mule die clash, according to who you talk to, Ken Potter or Wexler. Also several doubled dies have been found by members of my group and website community. Most don't think they will get rich they just enjoy searching coins for varieties and errors. You let the few define the whole.

I know there's more good coins out there and I want to let as many know as possible so they're found. It is exciting for me.

I actually appreciate the criticism more than the views because I want to do better videos. I am my own editor, producer and "writer" since I do ad-lib most of the video. I want it that way, almost live experience and not too stiff.

However, let the criticism be accurate.

1. I do say "doubled" die in the video but where I came from I run them together a bit. I have a habit of running some words together when I speak. I most certainly know doubled die are doubled dies.

2. The 1983 is a counter clash FS-401 listed in the cherry pickers. I should have pointed out the areas above the date and around LIBERTY that shows clash marks. CCL(T2)-1c-1983-01 : Mad Die Clashes

3. The it is true the cents without a mint mark are struck at the Philadelphia Mint but I was highlighting the fact that there's also a D (Denver Mint) version that is not worth as much, so this is the version without the mint mark. That is just nit-picking. I wasn't misleading people that the no mint mark was the error or variety.

It is not a ploy but an attempt to show people what to look for. In my groups and forum we get all types of minor damage and errors and I source some of my videos to show them what to look for instead of wasting time on minor errors that don't add any value.

I would also like a link to the forum that list my video as misleading information.

Thanks for all the comments.
    Last edited by CoinHELP!; Jan 08, 2019 at 05:35 PM.
    PetesPockets55 likes this.

us
    Apr 2005
    North Carolina
    2265 times
    I wasn't talking about you, it's another member that does this.
    PetesPockets55 likes this.

Wheats..7
    Buffalos..0
    war nickels.0
    Silv Dimes...-0
    Silv Quarters-0/0
    Barbers-0/0
    Walker 0
    Bens- 0
    Kenn. 90%- 0
    Kenn. 40%- 0
    Proof- 0
    Silv. Proof -0
    Commemorative-0/0

us
    Jan 2015
    Washington
    Garrett ACE 150
    141 times
    Enamel is coin god. Iím on Enamelís side with anything coin related.
    2016 CRH Goals

Indian Head Cents (0/2)
    Wheat Cents (17/150)
    V Nickel (0/2)
    Buffalo Nickel (1/3)
    Silver Nickels (4/5)
    Mercs (0/2)
    Silver Rosies (5/10)
    Silver Quarters (2/10)
    Silver Halves both 90 and 40% (11/5)

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, White's TDI SL, Tesoro Tejon
    18371 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    On another youtube channel, apparently not yours, the feigned excitement is nauseating. I watch funny animals on youtube.

us
    Coincrazed

Aug 2013
    150 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NoThisIsPatrick View Post
    Enamel is coin god. I’m on Enamel’s side with anything coin related.
    I agree 100%. Enamel7, while I used to troll him incessantly when I was younger, has been involved with serious Numismatics for years; even more than I have. He is the most knowledgeable person regarding Numismatics that we have on this board. I will say I'm the second most knowledgeable here in regards to Numismatics on this forum, after him. Perhaps I sound cocky, but I have been buying and selling coins for a decade now, and I have an advanced grasp of the field. Niether I nor Enamel feel the need to post videos on YouTube just to hear ourselves talk. Between the two of us, we possess greater depth regarding coins than the average hobbyist roll hunter.
    Last edited by Coincrazed; Jan 08, 2019 at 08:44 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links