Seasonal trends/patterns affecting sorting?

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV (hobby lobby 40% off ;-) )
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey all-
Almost a year into this now, and I've been wondering if any of the more experienced hunters here have noticed any trends or patterns in their finds over the course of the year? I've been noticing rather low wheat totals for the last month or so in the bags I search, but the 2009 totals have remained rather constant, even though the amount of bags available went up (4 a week in the summer to 8+ in winter). Nickels wise, I was finding a LOT more Buffaloes before Thanksgiving than prior, and those have dried up since again... I figured there'd be more coins circulating around X-mas and therefore better odds for finds, but it didn't seem to translate. Foreign finds dipped as well, wondering if thats due to fewer people traveling abroad in winter. I'm in WI, so guessing when the "snowbirds" return, they may have an influx of foreign coins as most are in FL and TX, where I'm guessing there's more available. I also figure being in a relative back-water may affect it as well, as I'm guessing it takes a more time for coins to filter in vs areas with larger populations, and by my simply having removed X wheats from circulation here the finds are going down. Anyone have any insight on this?

Upvote 0

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
You may be the only hunter & therefore drying up your OWN area, of wheats & silver., but I kind of think that's impossible to do. Good luck & continue the way you've progressed over this past year.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trends are hard to pick up on in such a short time span but I do notice a big uptick in my local hunters right at Christmas which means less finds for me. This Christmas has been pretty bad with other hunters scooping me more than i am scooping them. Many hunters here seem to have the advantage of being retired or underemployed with more time to hunt. It also has to do with the courier timing which doesn't play into my favor with changes in my office schedule. i used to be able to buy up the weeks change before it got shipped and now someone else has gotten privy and taken that bank over. Its too far to dump there and I like to keep it as an occasional pickup since they get good stuff but hate to think what I am missing by changing offices.
You can't be everywhere at once and it never ceases to amaze me where the good scores turn up. Its never where I think I'll find them and rarely where I've found them before. That said there are more halves coming out of the woodwork this time of year than in summer.
One trend I am not digging is my pickup banks used to get loose halves. Week after week, month after month they have not gotten more than one or two clad ones for me other than the occasional fellow CRHer dump. There are other crh-ers asking too often for coins to accumulate and the CRHers are poaching right out of my boxes when they can! I see some snipers have become stationed at banks that used to be good for me too. Eventually they'll tip their hand but I hate turning a productive bank into a dump once I know since its hard to reverse that process. I am just working on being as efficient as I can with driving and dumping since fuel and time are valuable commodities. I do like to ramble around so sometimes I just cruise and end up talking to tellers and bank patrons way too long.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh and nickels completely dried up for me about 6 months ago so now I buy $10 or less. I also wrote pennies off. While they are the most interesting in terms of errors and you always find something interesting its too much to carry around, I never feel like dumping them since they are so cheap so they pile up on me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread