Maybe you HALF DOLLAR guys are right, after all.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
For years now (since getting into CRH heavily 2011) I've concentrated mostly in dimes, and just dabble here & there into halves. Was going around most of my branch banks today to stock up dimes for this weekend's hunting. Stopped earlier this week at one branch, she had 2-boxes of halves, I took one, checked it out - SKUNKED. So today, while at that same branch, I decided to take the other half box. Having gathered all day 6-dime boxes, and one half box, I decided to knock out the half box first expecting MAYBE only 1 or 2 40%. Jumped into looking for Enders, but nothing showing. Started rolls, third roll in a 90%, then started thinking, hummmm, could this become a KNOCK OUT box. Checking another roll, a 40, later another 90. After all said & done, we'll let's let the pics speak for themselves.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1547250068.590426.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1547250087.940350.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1547250108.428335.jpg

A total of 6-90%, and 10-40% just from this ONE BOX. This was almost as exciting as the 10-solid halves rolls that I pulled last Oct.2018, from a teller.
At a dime avg of maybe 2-Rosies/box, I would have to find about 50+Rosies (25+ boxes searched) just to equal these 16 halves. You guys that hunt & search solely halves, hit a lot of road kill SKUNKS along the way, but in the long run stack your AG a lot higher than my dimes. I'm SOLD, enjoy the pics. DozerD

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Halves rule!

I dabble in the others when I can't or forget to get boxes of halves. The big thing is the 40%ers, most people don't even know they exist!

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad to have you as a brother half searcher Dozer! I've already posted this on another site, but in the last week I had 2 outstanding boxes of 71 & 75 silvers, respectively. It's hardly ever that good, but when you hit a good box it makes all the effort worthwhile.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How many halfs are in a box? I've thought about doing more and not long ago spotted some behind the teller that was 40% ones I picked up, she only had about 10 but half was silver. HH

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1000 half coins in a box ($500).

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got hooked with the first Walking Lib half. The closest we've gotten to TxAg's recent results was a two box order with 58 on Nov. 1, with my wife finding 37 of those in her box. The skunks have been stinking up the place recently.

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Yup to skunks, I had a good small box the other day, still a $500 box but brown instead of yellow and double layer smaller box. Got 3 more yesterday and first two are skunks.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They weren’t worth much more than face through the 70’s till about 2007. Even the Hunts weren’t interested.

From at least 1969-1974, a 40% half had only about 25 cents worth of silver on average. As recently as the 20 year stretch from about 1985-2004, the lows for the year meant the silver content was below the face value of a 40% half dollar. At a silver price of $3.38, a 40% half (0.1479 ASW) has 50 cents worth of silver. But dealers don't pay full spot, so the price has to be higher if the intention is to sell to the dealers. A 40% half today is worth about 4.3x face value at full spot.

https://www.macrotrends.net/1470/historical-silver-prices-100-year-chart

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep $500 is a lot for me though. HH

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been basically been using the same $1000 for the last year, restocking it when I pull silver out. With the low interest rates it is sort of like having it in the bank.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the dark half side Dozer. You are the one that got me into dimes lol. I used to only hunt for CWR halves and would pick up a box here and there if I got desperate. Now if they don't have half dollars I grab dimes and nickels. I like not leaving empty handed since they learn they can't shake you. I definitely don't find as much with dimes since they are so tiny but there's one thing I love about them. I can pick up a handful of rolls, look through them and dump them anywhere without arousing suspicion or ire.
The hardest part about halves is dumping them. Tellers HATE them. Especially when its to the tune of $500. Unfortunately this is usually the magic number to get them to ship them out. Otherwise with smaller loads someone buys them, moves them and we play pass the halves all over town.
One bank initiated bag service in my area and I have been utilizing it to get rid of bagged coin when I can or a quick parking lot search into the dump bag, in and done. Now that I've gotten comfortable with the bag service they announced they are doing away with it. Ah how things are always changing. I don't think it will help me since I bet they will still do bags to get rid of excess rolled coin. Many banks are trying to ship out rolled coin and give out MWRs. I just go with the flow but i hate getting a handful of MWRs and seeing that they are all 2018 lol. I am amazed how often this happens. I am trying to phase out buying nickels. I used to find war and Buffalo but things dried up about six months ago and its felt masochistic since.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread