Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kennedy Half, help...

This is the first coin Iv seen like this not see sure whats going on with it, it looks like a brushed finish and I noticed that the lines are in every nook and crany, very even, and going same direction on both sides, Im new to messing with coins and found this one roll hunting, whats some of your thoughts...

20190114_180637.jpg 20190114_204720.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If found this one recently and was told it had "planchet striations". Something to do with the clad stock material before the coin is struck.

1981-P Striations.jpg 1981-P Striations Reverse.jpg

Coincrazed

Aug 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Those are "roller marks" from the machines rolling out the planchets to proper thickness before striking. They are not worth a premium. In fact, they destroy eye appeal because it usually means the coin was not struck with enough pressure, since they should have disappeared from the metal as it flowed into the dies upon striking.

OP
OP
Toecutter

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to know, sad but good lol

scottw

Jul 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you calling me a weirdo???
We may all be a little weird, spending all our time looking at a bunch of dirty old clad.
lol

OP
OP
Toecutter

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no i wasnt but you do have a good point lol

Coincrazed

Aug 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Those are not "roller marks" and it's a fully struck coin........simple post mint damage with whatever tool one can imagine....

HH all!

Greg

Wrong. Do your research before spouting off nonsense.

Last edited:

Coincrazed

Aug 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
The Bicentennial looks like it was whizzed

Ben, whizzing is not uniform in appearance, and the micro scratches caused by whizzing will bisect the design elements, not blend in as if it were struck over the lines. You notice most of the marks disappear into the devices, especially on the reverse. These are roller marks.

Last edited:

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ben, whizzing is not uniform in appearance, and the micro scratches caused by whizzing will bisect the design elements, not blend in as if it were struck over the lines. You notice most of the marks disappear into the devices, especially on the reverse. These are roller marks.

I agree they are more likely roller lines. Evenly spaced and parallel lines.
When I enlarge the image and look at the B of LIBERTY and I see what appears to be raised lines in the fields (not incuse from PSD) and the lines are not on the surface of the B, but are "under" it.
(These raised lines make me wonder if it is something with the die as well.)

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Wrong. Do your research before spouting off nonsense.

Wow, I guess I didn't understand that I couldn't have a different opinion than anyone else.....thank you for just saying "wrong" and letting us know that your opinion rules this board and is always correct and mine is in fact, nonsense. Atta boy, show everyone who's boss!....I bet you drive a big truck.

Coincrazed

Aug 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, I guess I didn't understand that I couldn't have a different opinion than anyone else.....thank you for just saying "wrong" and letting us know that your opinion rules this board and is always correct and mine is in fact, nonsense. Atta boy, show everyone who's boss!....I bet you drive a big truck.

This is not a matter of "opinion", 1235CE. In a situation like this when someone asks whether a coin has been cleaned, or what the presence of something is, it either is or it is not. In this case, it is roller marks. There's no debating it. This whole idea that facts are debatable or has anything to do with opinion is how Numismatic Misinformation is just tossed around on the internet, and it's how these uneducated YouTubers are able to disseminate completely false information. "I said a coin was worth $10K when it's not, but oh well, it was my opinion and I'm entitled to it."

"No, you're wrong. That coin is worth about 2 cents."

"UGGH! YOURE A HATER! YOU DONT RESPECT MY OPINION! IF YOU CANT SAY SOMETHING NICE DON'T SAY IT AT ALL!"

"No, this is not about being nice, nor am I being hateful. It's about you being wrong."

"Get off my YouTube channel!"

Now, if you said, "the best way to collect coins is to collect only certified examples", and then I hopped on you and said "wrong. The best way to collect is to only buy raw examples." That would be a matter of opinion.

I'm far from an expert, but I do know more about Numismatics than your average roll hunter, and especially more than the average charlatan on YouTube.

If you catch me making a mistake or a mistatement of facts, by all means correct me. I'm not above being corrected, and I'm not going to get angry or cry that my opinion is not being respected. It is what it is.

Now if you will excuse me, I need to go wash my big truck.

Last edited:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coincrazed, I used to handle lots of silver coins when I started CRH in the 60's and didn't see these roller marks. I resumed CRH last summer and found this to be common on clad halves. Do you believe the hardness of the clad planchets is responsible? Or is there variation in the quality of planchets? Do you ever see roller marks on (softer) silver coins?

Last edited:

Coincrazed

Aug 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Coincrazed, I used to handle lots of silver coins when I started CRH in the 60's and didn't see these roller marks. I resumed CRH last summer and found this to be common on clad halves. Do you believe the hardness of the clad planchets is responsible? Or is there variation in the quality of planchets? Do you ever see roller marks on (softer) silver coins?

Hey Megalodon. Roller marks are often seen on Silver coins, yes. I've seen them on Morgan Dollars, Seated Dimes, Seated Half Dimes, and Barber Halves. It has nothing to do with alloy or planchet hardness, as far as I know. It typically has to do with the spacing of the rollers that roll the strips of metal out, and from what I've heard, it symbolizes that the strips from which the planchets were cut were not softened enough and/or the coins were not struck with enough pressure to get rid of the marks.

Last edited:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Coincrazed! Nice to know "why" a coin is ugly! I see those roller marks fairy often on Kennedy clad halves.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Most coins with Roller Marks go unnoticed until they develop toning which makes the undamaged surfaces of the coin's planchet and the Roller Marks stand out with less or more or different toning.

OP
OP
Toecutter

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With error coins being as popular as they are I would have guessed this to be a little more valuable then a standered bicentennial given that it is less common....
Agin I am a newbe to coin collecting that being said how come this type of mistake is not considered as a error or more valuable?
Thanks for all the help so fare guys!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread