Get & Take halves

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Now that I'm so called hooked on halves just like the rest of you CHR's, and that over the years having established a good rapore with my tellers with all my dime boxes, I asked if I can upgrade my hunting into halves. They all said no problem ordering, so that's OK, and one branch will take ALL my halves providing they are rerolled and in boxes of $500 so they can ship them out right away. Since I have to cut open the roll, then check the rims, and right after reroll (in pre set rewrap rolls done while watching TV at some time), I should be able to move my silver stack to a higher plateau. Starting with a box tonight, hopefully part of the same process batch as with my recent 6-90% & 10-40% last week. Will post results here from this box when finished.
Crossing my fingers for AG sake.

Upvote 0

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suspect the rim checkers are leaving behind plenty of 40% halves. Dimes and quarters, being 90% or nothing, tend to have whiter rims. We find plenty of dark rims among 40% halves, so we check every date, paying more attention to 74-Ds for double dies, and 72-D for no FG.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suspect the rim checkers are leaving behind plenty of 40% halves. . .
Depends on the rim-check policy.

If the rim is clearly copper, no further inspection. If the rim is anything other than clearly copper, that one gets a face check. (If no red, look at the head.)

For me, 25-30% of the rolls are strictly rim check. The remainder of rolls have 1-3 coins per roll that get a face check.

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suspect the rim checkers are leaving behind plenty of 40% halves. Dimes and quarters, being 90% or nothing, tend to have whiter rims. We find plenty of dark rims among 40% halves, so we check every date, paying more attention to 74-Ds for double dies, and 72-D for no FG.

Megalodon, Have you ever figured out a good way to sell the 74d DDO's? I have a ton of them and I'm not a big ebayer. I definitely don't want to sell them one at a time on ebay.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Megalodon, Have you ever figured out a good way to sell the 74d DDO's? I have a ton of them and I'm not a big ebayer. I definitely don't want to sell them one at a time on ebay.

No, I haven't tried to sell the one I've found. If I had a quantity of them, I'd be looking for a wholesale buyer. This APMEX bullion dealer has been advertising them for sale at 39.99. I would think they might/could be buyers.
https://www.apmex.com/product/44194/1974-d-kennedy-half-dollar-bu-double-die-obv

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Results: only 2-40%, I can't expect too much every time. There will be another good box out there waiting for me in the future.

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I go back and forth between Megalodon and LooseChange on how I search half rolls. Guess I’m more rigorous when I’m searching boxes with my wife as she is a perfectionist and looks at every coin trying to find her first 1974-D DDO or “No FG” 1972-D or “No FG” 1982-P. So I keep pace with her so we each end up searching the same number of rolls. One of her goals is to find a MWR roll with at least 6 silvers in it. We were searching a really good box last week and I got a bit ahead of her so she gave me one of her last rolls. It turned out to be a “6 Banger” (my made up term). She was kind of bummed about that, lol!
Dozer - I used to re-roll my halves before I found a bank that had a coin machine for customers. It sure majes dumping easier. But if you have to re-roll your coins, one trick is to use a pocket sized flat head screwdriver to open one end of the roll, and then push the coins out from the other side with your thumb. You can search them and stuff them back into the roll wrapper. I shove 5 at a time which makes it fast and easy to count out 20. I also put a black magic marker stripe along the side of the wrapper, just in case my searched rolls make it to another branch. That has saved me from buying my searched rolls back a couple of times, once from a branch 45 miles away! Anyway, good luck with the CRH and keep us posted!
As for 1974-D DDO Kennedys, I have found around 100. I’d love to sell some of them but I don’t do eBay. Most are VF - XF. The handful of AU I’m keeping for my Grandkids Dansco albums.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hardly look at my halves at all. I do inspect the "enders" first to see if I have a good box. I use my thumb nail to pick the inside edge of the roll end open and unfold/ unroll it. A staple puller works well if you use it gently. I slide them out, drop the coins onto one another and listen. Then I do an edge check with my +12 magnification. If i see those NIFC rims, I pull that coin out and if I am getting a lot of proofs I start to look at the rolls carefully for those 1987s and error collection dumps. Listening works so well i can search halves in the dark. I haven't missed one by ear yet. Then I slide the whole roll back into the paper sleeve and I don't have to mess with rollers etc. Then I smush the paper shut so others can tell these rolls are searched in case they try and foist them off on people. I also talk to my dump banks when possible to make sure they ship them out and don't sit on them hoping people will buy them. Sometimes I shuck them right into the bag if I don't mind the money being tied up for a while. I can blaze through a skunk box in 1/2 hour-1 hr. When I get a decent box I like to savor it. I even have benders and wenders I haven't opened yet lol. I figure if the skunks get too bad I can open one for fun. I hope that helps.

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I thought it would be good to post a find I made today in this thread as it speaks to what could be found while searching halves - A 1982-P “No FG”. This makes the 4th I have found in 2 years, so they are not common but can be found.

C639ACEB-B8B6-4584-824C-19204644CC3D.jpeg AD4DC090-0B95-4B96-8D50-AF98D562610C.jpeg C61C5527-A1E4-49AE-82A7-22CE16B387E5.jpeg

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for posting those pics TxAg. I've found some very faint FGs but close doesn't count. That one shows the no-Fg clearly.

Picked up 2 boxes this afternoon. Only found 1 40%er, one impaired proof and my first 1987-D.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TommyBuckets - Nice observations about the tone difference. You will be at a real advantage during the next power failure. Despite our different methods (I check every date), we spend about the same amount of time per box. I haven't yet found a Barber in a roll, although I found a Barber dime in the trash right after Dozer reported finding a large cent that way. I don't think I have the patience to wait on a Bender or Wender!

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I have found No FG's in 6 different date/mint coins so far, also the 1982 and 1983 P and D are worth more if at least choice AU and if MS then worth selling as the Mint didn't make mint sets those years, they are worth $8 each

If you only check for silver you are giving up the DDO's the rotated dies, the missing F and missing FG's

BUT it slows down the search

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread