Getting skunked in dimes and pennies so far in 2019 - halves good

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
So far this year I have been pretty much skunked in smaller denominations, particularly dimes. Total opposite from last 2-3 months of 2018 when I was hitting pretty well.

in 2019 searched through $50 in pennies, $142 in nickels, $945 in dimes, $76.50 in halves. Probably from 20-30 different banks. Mix of CWR and MWR, and I dont search boxes, and dont include the full rolls of 2017 or 2018 that I got & didn't search. In the lower denominations I have been getting skunked. Halves been good.

Dimes is the big skunk with not one silver dime out of $945. Typically I get about one per $200 or so. I feel like a bunch of dime collectors showed up at every bank I have been to. I think I have gotten MWR that someone has searched and tried to crimp the edges back at more than one bank. Frustrating, but as in the past, I know it will turn around at some point.

While I have gotten 19 wheat cents out of $50 - this is very low as I usually have about a 1% hit rate
In nickels, I have gotten one 1938P (which I guess isn't that bad).

Out of the $76.50 in halves, I got 2 40% and 1 1951 Ben. I haven't searched a box of halves in like 7 years, but my wife ordered a box of halves for me yesterday. I am going to get the box Thursday, so will see how that goes. In searching halves for 22 years, I have only searched 3 boxes, as I do pretty well with CWR and loose around here. Never found anything in a box - except for maybe a 1987P. Just now fretting about how I am going to dump $500 in halves -no coin counters near me. 8-)

Upvote 0

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a mirror image of my 2019. I am burnt out on nickels and dimes. They just dried up and aren't doing anything. i can rarely find halves. The downside of the boxes is you have to get rid of the body and its a big bloated carcass to haul off.
Friday they told me i was the 3rd (3 banks) 4th, (2 banks) and 5th (1 bank) person to ask for halves. I actually just went to that area to deposit a bag of $500 halves while they still offer the bag service. I could have been rude and left rolls everywhere for all those collectors to clean up or saved my time and frustration and not stopped but only one way to relieve your curiosity.
I thought my sector was bad. Damn where are all these crhers coming from? It used to be just a dozen of us in my area now its two dozen and the tellers are getting sick of getting haggled lol. There haven't been this many searchers ever and the price of silver doesn't justify the work. I don't get it. When and if you do find some halves they are good though.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am hoping that 2019 will be a better year for CRH. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
C

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
Got that box of halves. First one in 7+ years. No enders. Will give results when done looking through. My guess is I am going to have to re-roll and dump $500 - probably $80-$100 at a time over 6 banks. We'll see.

Update on the dimes: Now up to $1,200 searched this year and completely skunked. It is really starting to stink around here

Attachments

• 20190124_205107.jpg
    20190124_205107.jpg
    1,004.3 KB · Views: 66
  • 20190124_205127.jpg
    20190124_205127.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 73

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have done well since the first of the year, on bank provided $13.00 in 40% Kennedys, today I got my first box since sometime in 2017 and got 5 40%'ers, 1 Franklin, 3 Walkers and a '64 Kennedy. I didn't do any last year.

OP
OP
C

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
nice!! I was hitting during the last quarter of 2018 in dimes and halves and since then been dry

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like a mirror image of my 2019. I am burnt out on nickels and dimes. They just dried up and aren't doing anything. i can rarely find halves. The downside of the boxes is you have to get rid of the body and its a big bloated carcass to haul off.
Friday they told me i was the 3rd (3 banks) 4th, (2 banks) and 5th (1 bank) person to ask for halves. I actually just went to that area to deposit a bag of $500 halves while they still offer the bag service. I could have been rude and left rolls everywhere for all those collectors to clean up or saved my time and frustration and not stopped but only one way to relieve your curiosity.
I thought my sector was bad. Damn where are all these crhers coming from? It used to be just a dozen of us in my area now its two dozen and the tellers are getting sick of getting haggled lol. There haven't been this many searchers ever and the price of silver doesn't justify the work. I don't get it. When and if you do find some halves they are good though.
I don’t get it either, and have been saying that for the last five years. I don’t believe the hype, even if it’s YouTube’s fault. You have to truly love the hobby, ‘cause the money making incentive is about zilch. Are there really that many collectors out there?

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I just wish I saved everything when I started collecting in the mid-60's, I could retire on it all NOW.

OP
OP
C

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
Went thru 1/2 the box and a skunk. About 4 or 5 of the rolls had one coin in them marked with a green x on the obverse. This box has the pattern of being someone's dump. My guess is odds are that the other half of the box is a skunk - think i may just turn them back in. I dont have access to coin counters. The first box in 7 yrs is also my last. I have historically done fine with CWR and loose - its less volume but the hit rate is higher. Any thoughts on the second half of the box?

At least i got a clean empty box to store my silvers

OP
OP
C

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
Update: I finally got off the schneid in dimes for 2019. After getting skunked searching through $1,335 so far this year, I finally got a silver 1964 dime.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update: I finally got off the schneid in dimes for 2019. After getting skunked searching through $1,335 so far this year, I finally got a silver 1964 dime.

I got my first silver dime of the year, also a 1964, in the Coinstar reject tray on my way out of the grocery store.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread