Really Neat OLD COIN With a HOLE in it!

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter land ranger pro, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
20190118_141823.jpg 20190118_141832.jpg 20190118_141806.jpg 20190118_141756.jpg
What do you think about this dime? It's weird... it's so shiny like tin foil it almost doesn't seem like it could be silver. That's why it's not clear... too much glare. Also why does it have a hole in it?! Right by the hole it looks like the shiny stuff is chipped... could it be siliver plated? Also found this tiny 5 cent coin. What do you know about these coins? Any value to them? Really puzzled by the 10 cent coin.

Upvote 0

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
holed to wear on chain. Seated dime 90% silver may be "S" mint Proof---value over $10 US

KG nickel is 92% silver, value north of $6 US

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it's what it's legend states, George V of England, on a Canadian dime. Nice find. And yes, it was polished.

OP
OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
holed to wear on chain. Seated dime 90% silver may be "S" mint Proof---value over $10 US

KG nickel is 92% silver, value north of $6 US

But are they made with holes in them?

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But are they made with holes in them?

No. The holes were made after the coin was minted so it could be stringed - possibly with other small coins that would have been easy to lose - especially in the cold and wet, in large calloused hands that could barely feel such little coins.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Seated Liberty dime! Like "port ewen ace" said holed for jewelry, perhaps you can wear it!

Good Luck and Happy Hunting

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can see the real silver color and tarnish of the Canadian coin, but the Seated Liberty dime, has been coated with something, to make it look shiny, for jewelry purposes.
Both are nice Finds...!

OP
OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seated Liberty dime! Like "port ewen ace" said holed for jewelry, perhaps you can wear it!

Good Luck and Happy Hunting

Haha... it's actually my sister's. I have been looking through my family's coins. So far I've found the ones above (she won't let me buy em��), a clipped dime, and three silver dimes I bought from them for 1.50. I want to coin roll hunt for dimes... but is it really worth it? Do you know how many rolls you generally have to look though to find any? I'm thinking if I found 3 in my family's modern change and I've found 3 while detecting the neighborhood (one on my own lawn!) then there is a good chance that my area dosnt look for silvers all that often.

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't coin roll hunt, but I do pay the carhops and cashiers at convenience stores where I frequently go hold the old stuff for me.

I agree with these guys, the holes in coins were either to keep from losing them or jewelry.

I found a bracelet awhile back loaded with coins. I guess it came off the woman's wrist somehow and she didn't notice it.. the clasp wasn't broken. Or where it was, it could of been hidden on purpose.

Kace

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Due to the porous looking surfaces of the 1875 Seated Liberty Dime, I would venture to say that it is a reproduction made from a mold to be used as jewelry. The hole could accommodate a small chain to wear the coin as a pendant or to be attached to a bracelet.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It appears you are in Canada, so I assume you would be hunting Canadian coins.

I am not aware of any statistics for hunting in Canada. There are two facts that I can think of that would make hunting Canadian coins different (dimes in particular).

1) Non-silver recent Canadian dimes do not have a clad edge like they do in the US, so you cannot edge search and would have to either detect by looking for non-magnetic dimes or read each date.

2) I could be mistaken, but I think I remember reading that the Canadian Mint was actively removing silver/old coins from circulation. I am not sure of the process or if they are still actively doing it, but if so, it would potentially make finding older coins more difficult.

I would guess that much like in the US that most of the change has been searched, but there are usually some coins that missed and scattered in. The only way to know for sure is to try. If trying, I would try at least a half dozen boxes, ideally from multiple sources, to determine what type of find rate you might have and whether it is worth more effort or not.

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's a pic of the coin bracelet I found. There's Canadian and other Countries Coins On It. From 1944-1959.

Kace

IMG_3558.jpg

OP
OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It appears you are in Canada, so I assume you would be hunting Canadian coins.

I am not aware of any statistics for hunting in Canada. There are two facts that I can think of that would make hunting Canadian coins different (dimes in particular).

1) Non-silver recent Canadian dimes do not have a clad edge like they do in the US, so you cannot edge search and would have to either detect by looking for non-magnetic dimes or read each date.

2) I could be mistaken, but I think I remember reading that the Canadian Mint was actively removing silver/old coins from circulation. I am not sure of the process or if they are still actively doing it, but if so, it would potentially make finding older coins more difficult.

I would guess that much like in the US that most of the change has been searched, but there are usually some coins that missed and scattered in. The only way to know for sure is to try. If trying, I would try at least a half dozen boxes, ideally from multiple sources, to determine what type of find rate you might have and whether it is worth more effort or not.

Interesting. Thanks for taking the time to write! I'll give it a shot. Only going to look though a few rolls at a time. Might take me forever to find anything that way but I don't want to get a huge box of them. Looking through my mom's change that maybe had 5 rolls of dimes I found one silver. Look ing through my sister's dimes which was about 2 rolls I found 2 silvers. ...that doesn't mean I'll find anymore but the statistics don't seems too bad. They both don't hang on to there coins so it's not like they purposely kept them... makes me think that there could be more in the bank! Even if I don't find much it'll be fun hunting. I also found a error dime in my mom's coins worth 4 bucks (which it worth more than a silver!!!) so I can also look for more clipped ones. We will see how it goes.

OP
OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Neat find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread