CU wants to charge for Halves

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV (hobby lobby 40% off ;-) )
Primary Interest:
Other
So, I finally worked up the gumption to ask about Halves at my Credit Union. I was told they do have some and could order, but since the coin machine can't count them, they may do a charge to re-roll... So, I'm torn, as I have something like 80 halves now, but all from the 1970's, so would like to swap some out, but really don't feel like paying extra. Is it worth it? Maybe a one-time only deal but I know myself so that won't happen... Any suggestions on what would be fair rate for their fees on this? Or alternatives? I'd love to not open another account elsewhere, as my town only has 2 banks... Thanks for any info!

Upvote 0

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I finally worked up the gumption to ask about Halves at my Credit Union. I was told they do have some and could order, but since the coin machine can't count them, they may do a charge to re-roll... So, I'm torn, as I have something like 80 halves now, but all from the 1970's, so would like to swap some out, but really don't feel like paying extra. Is it worth it? Maybe a one-time only deal but I know myself so that won't happen... Any suggestions on what would be fair rate for their fees on this? Or alternatives? I'd love to not open another account elsewhere, as my town only has 2 banks... Thanks for any info!

If all you want to do is get rid of 80 halves, that's just 4 rolls. You could roll them yourself in less time than it takes to enter this, and just deposit them to your account.
You should not "swap them out". Buy halves at one bank and dump at a different location. I dump 5000 halves each week at three branches of one bank and three different branches of two different credit unions each where I have accounts and use to dump only. There is no charge because I have accounts. The credit unions have machines but the bank requires coins to be rolled. The branches are about 30 miles apart, so there's a lot of driving - but I try to spread around my dump coins. With such small numbers as 80, you could just spend them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Appreciate the advice, but think I wasn't clear in my post. I have about 80 halves right now, and basically want to search halves to swap out some dates. The majority of my halves are from the 1970's, so would swap those for newer P/D's, and if I'm lucky and older one maybe. Don't see myself searching halves much due to the fees they'd want to charge. And yeah, don't dump at your bank, blah blah blah, well not really an option for me with 2 banks in the area and nothing else for about 50 miles. Think I'll bite the bullet and just get them, then figure a way to spend the rejects for now I guess...

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
80 halves, = $40 bucks, spend them around town for minor purchases etc., should be gone within the week.

OP
OP
R

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Update=
I spoke with one of the managers at the bank today, she said that if I did a whole box she could probably convince the other to waive any fees or anything, since I've been doing this for a while now and are good to them. She was gonna let me know next week when I drop off again. Halves may be in my future (all downhill from there). Pays to be polite and provide chocolate every now and again!

holepuncher

Oct 5, 2014
Amboy Wa.
Detector(s) used
AT Pro. Equinox.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Save them until Christmas time and put them in the bell ringer pot.

Coincrazed

Aug 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Update=
I spoke with one of the managers at the bank today, she said that if I did a whole box she could probably convince the other to waive any fees or anything, since I've been doing this for a while now and are good to them. She was gonna let me know next week when I drop off again. Halves may be in my future (all downhill from there). Pays to be polite and provide chocolate every now and again!

I get no such luck, as polite and as friendly as I am. Out here in the Midwest, the folks love to claim to be "nice" and "down home" and "easy going" but it's all a guise. I asked to order boxes of coins at a local bank I've been a customer at for over a year, and within 3 weeks of ordering they told me they had to charge $5 a box. I had more folks willing to help me out west than the tellers here.

I don't even roll hunt anymore except to ask for halves and large dollars, as I don't want to be bothered with the hoops they make me jump through. I'd rather just buy the damned Silver myself if I wanted it that badly.

Last edited:

foofighters

Nov 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Appreciate the advice, but think I wasn't clear in my post. I have about 80 halves right now, and basically want to search halves to swap out some dates. The majority of my halves are from the 1970's, so would swap those for newer P/D's, and if I'm lucky and older one maybe. Don't see myself searching halves much due to the fees they'd want to charge. And yeah, don't dump at your bank, blah blah blah, well not really an option for me with 2 banks in the area and nothing else for about 50 miles. Think I'll bite the bullet and just get them, then figure a way to spend the rejects for now I guess...

Those of us that live in rural areas have to drive a bit if we really want to do this hobby. My main pickup banks are an hour away and the majority of my dumps go a 100 miles plus. The little town of 200 people I live in has one bank, I don't even try here.

OP
OP
R

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I get no such luck, as polite and as friendly as I am. Out here in the Midwest, the folks love to claim to be "nice" and "down home" and "easy going" but it's all a guise. I asked to order boxes of coins at a local bank I've been a customer at for over a year, and within 3 weeks of ordering they told me they had to charge $5 a box. I had more folks willing to help me out west than the tellers here.

I don't even roll hunt anymore except to ask for halves and large dollars, as I don't want to be bothered with the hoops they make me jump through. I'd rather just buy the damned Silver myself if I wanted it that badly.

I'm in the Midwest too. Have had no issues with bank yet...*knock on wood*

OP
OP
R

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Those of us that live in rural areas have to drive a bit if we really want to do this hobby. My main pickup banks are an hour away and the majority of my dumps go a 100 miles plus. The little town of 200 people I live in has one bank, I don't even try here.

Oh, I'm well aware, I'm in northern wi. Pretty sure I've gone through every cent bag my cu has had in the last 2 months

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't pay a bank fee to dump coins.

Many/most self checkouts take halves. I've bought $140.00 or more of groceries many times with halves.

Coinstar (other than inside of Walmart) will give you an Amazon gift card for no fee. You just have to select that option BEFORE and AFTER dumping the coins. There are some other no-fee options if you are not a fan of Amazon. Yes, Coinstar accepts halves. Walmart does not allow any competitive presence on their property so Coinstars inside of Walmart do not offer certain options (including Amazon).

OP
OP
R

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Many/most self checkouts take halves. I've bought $140.00 or more of groceries many times with halves.

Coinstar (other than inside of Walmart) will give you an Amazon gift card for no fee. You just have to select that option BEFORE and AFTER dumping the coins. There are some other no-fee options if you are not a fan of Amazon. Yes, Coinstar accepts halves. Walmart does not allow any competitive presence on their property so Coinstars inside of Walmart do not offer certain options (including Amazon).

Yeah, I may just see about spending them at my work. Figured I'll bite the bullet and get some, just too damned tempting.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I dump two boxes per week locally and its only about 10 miles round-trip to spread out my dumps. But in the alternate weeks, i dump three boxes along a 130 mile round-trip route that takes half a day and seems much longer when its all skunks.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've not yet found a self-checkout that takes halves. What I do is spend halves that look ok but are rejected by at least two coin machines. I just put those aside and use them for groceries.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread