Read on ONLY if you BELIEVE it HAPPENS

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Early Friday morning started doing my bank rounds getting 6 dime boxes and various rolls of halves where possible from approx 8 banks. At my last bank that I stopped I was able to get two dime boxes, then asked if any of the three tellers working, had any halves. Two said no, but the third at the drive thru said she had several. I asked how many is several? She replys $189 worth but they are all in a plastic bag and not rolled, and that she was about to SEAL THE Coin Lock BAG for pickup later in the afternoon. I'm now thinking, great, I'm going to get someone else's dump. I then said SURE, I'll TAKE THEM ALL. It won't take long to search these few. Paid for the dime boxes & the $189 of halves, then left the bank. I figured that I had enough coins to check for the weekend and proceeded home. Traffic was heavy going home, and at a traffic red light I had thought about reaching into that UNSEALED half bag just to see if it was worth taking it at all. Grabbed a hand full and opened it in front on my lap, "HOLY CRAP". In the handful ( of about 15-20 coins ), I could see about 6 whitish rims. Grabbed another handful, saw about 4 more rims. I'm already thinking, is this going to be BIG OR WHAT? Upon getting home that evening, I couldn't wait much longer to see what else was in the bag. Started to grab handful after handful of coins, each having 4,5,6 silver rims, all of which were 40%'s, no 90% at all. Out of the $189 FV (or 378 coins, 66 were 40%). I've taken 2 pics for you believers, enjoy & drool guys. It already happened this year. I'm going back early this week to ask them to save ALL halves for me.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1548121231.954845.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1548121258.201764.jpg

Total of 9.76 oz., not too shabby for just two hours driving to & from banks. Like I said, reading material only for the BELIEVERS.
Strange though, that there were NO 90% coins. Maybe whoever it was didn't even know about 40% and only took the 90's. Oh well, their loss, MY GAIN.
HH, DozerD

Upvote 0

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow - Congrats Dozer! That's the way to do it - "I'll TAKE THEM ALL". Great write-up!

I started asking for loose halves and have gotten a few but no silver yet. My boxes are standing orders and come on schedule at two different branches. I ask there for loose halves. It seems weird to ask for halves at locations where I just dumped halves. I'm thinking of asking for large dollar coins at those locations. Do you only ask for halves at your pick-up banks?

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dozer, I believe you are hooked on halves now, congratulations! My very first half dollar coin machine bag wasn’t quite as good as yours but held 51 x 40%ers out of $164. I have a picture somewhere, I’ll post it here if I find it. It’s a big thrill when it happens to you, way to go!!!

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow - Congrats Dozer! That's the way to do it - "I'll TAKE THEM ALL". Great write-up!

I started asking for loose halves and have gotten a few but no silver yet. My boxes are standing orders and come on schedule at two different branches. I ask there for loose halves. It seems weird to ask for halves at locations where I just dumped halves. I'm thinking of asking for large dollar coins at those locations. Do you only ask for halves at your pick-up banks?

Megalodon - somebody coined the phrase, "Never eat where you dump". Otherwise, eventually you will be shunned by the tellers or possibly cutoff by the branch manager. I keep my pickup and dump banks separate. I might occasionally dump in a branch of the same bank as my pickup bank but only if it's in another town.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Megalodon - somebody coined the phrase, "Never eat where you dump". Otherwise, eventually you will be shunned by the tellers or possibly cutoff by the branch manager. I keep my pickup and dump banks separate. I might occasionally dump in a branch of the same bank as my pickup bank but only if it's in another town.

Agreed. Keeping separate pickup and dump banks has been my practice since I started. The dumping gets a bit complicated because I spread it around to nine locations. I keep a notebook to remember how much and when I dumped at each location, in an effort to minimize the tellers' need to change bags. For example, my first dump this week will be at a location where I last dumped $461 into a new bag. So I can safely dump 400 into that one, confident that I will not be the one that causes them to drop their work to change a bag. I appear to be the only one dumping halves at these locations and I'm driving 30 miles between branches to avoid being a pest.

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Agreed. Keeping separate pickup and dump banks has been my practice since I started. The dumping gets a bit complicated because I spread it around to nine locations. I keep a notebook to remember how much and when I dumped at each location, in an effort to minimize the tellers' need to change bags. For example, my first dump this week will be at a location where I last dumped $461 into a new bag. So I can safely dump 400 into that one, confident that I will not be the one that causes them to drop their work to change a bag. I appear to be the only one dumping halves at these locations and I'm driving 30 miles between branches to avoid being a pest.

Impressive Megalodon! Your diligence will keep you in good stead with your tellers. I dump at 7 different branches that have coin machines, but they are not self serve so the tellers have to do some weight lifting. I feel guilty about dumping (the worst part about CRH!) and so try to bring them homemade cookies when I can. Tomorrow I'll be bringing cookies to my dump and pickup banks even though I managed to get rid of all my coins last week, lol. Fortunately, the mileage isn't too bad and I multi-task on my drives (going to church then the gym, hitting my pickup banks, running errands). Now that I am retired, the wife (who still works) will ask what I did today and my answers are pretty weak, lol. I got a bit over extended over the holidays and have cut back my volume to a more manageable 3-4 boxes instead of 6 boxes. I was enjoying a nice silver run, but it seems to have slowed down in the last week. One thing I have not been able to find are CWRs, nobody has them or "I should have been there yesterday!"

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our coin machines are self-serve, but there are 3 different models, each with its own apparent selectivity and speed. One model is so slow that I dump the coins into my hand and then slowly feed them onto a belt. Those machines are frequently broken down because they display a message that some users believe - "continue to add coins"; if you feed the coins too quickly, the tiny motor operating the belt is overwhelmed. The display should suggest adding coins slowly. Yes, retired also and I do the same thing with errands like grocery shopping (excuse to see coinstars...), visits, trips to the dump, and scouting metal detecting possibilities around coin pick-ups but mostly dumps. My wife is also newly retired but is away all day babysitting our new grandson, leaving the house at 0515. Fortunately, she is too exhausted when she gets home to ask too many questions about my use of time. Somehow, I think shooting at vultures on the roof with a paintball gun and then reading Tnet sounds more like fun. When the weather is better, I walk the beach up to about 6 miles for fossils and critter rescues after frequent floods. I also have not gotten any CWRs. One of my pickup bank tellers says the occasional loose ones come from her liquor store depositors. We have been doing 4 boxes per week since July, but moving up to 5 boxes later this week.

Last edited:

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work! Yea the tellers or dumpers often pick out any 90% as we all know, but tend to leave the 40% for us. At least there's something left to find.

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Do you know what the strange thing was, I had got about $450 of halves MWR's from several branches, and only ONE 40%, go figure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread