Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now first, I didn't do ANY halves in 2018. None. I got a roll from a teller recently and another one (all 40% 'ers) from that bank's coin machine the same day.

So I ordered a box last week, late, from my regular bank. At least they didn't give me the look of death when I ordered it. I was hoping for something. I looked the ends and saw a 1968 Kennedy and on another roll a Walker.

It didn't take long to do a box, and I also individually looked at all the coins looking for errors.

Here it is:

IMG_1530.jpg

1 1964 Kennedy
1 Panama coin
1 used to be a proof - 1974-S
1 Franklin
3 Walkers
5 40% Kennedys

And to boot, a 1936 Washington quarter out of change. Best box ever. I had a box with 14 40% er's awhile back. I know its not huge, but the best for me from a box. My teller score a few years ago, I doubt I'd ever top.

I still have a bunch of Civil War stuff I haven't posted, nothing earth shattering and some dug rings I thought were junk but might be good. My acid test kit may not be reliable.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, and yeah, smokin' out my ears. I misplace my ring. Had it last night. I constantly "bury" stuff temporarily.

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice.

Also a Proof is always a proof, as it is not a condition but a method of manufacture. When they are circulated or damaged they are called "impaired Proofs"

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Not bad Smokey, nice start to a new year. Nice to see Enders first thing, then you know that something is in the box worthy of the trip.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW I found the ring...right where I left it. On the couch.

Carlitosway2

Apr 11, 2016
Long Island NY
Detector(s) used
(Favorite) CTX 3030
(Back up) whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thatโ€™s awesome! I would really like to try this soon. Questions : do you return coins back to same bank And can you purchase a box threw any bank or just ones you have an account with? :dontknow:

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
Thatโ€™s awesome! I would really like to try this soon. Questions : do you return coins back to same bank And can you purchase a box threw any bank or just ones you have an account with? :dontknow:

NEVER return coins to the same branch that you got them from. In my experience, I have only ordered boxes from a bank that I have an account with.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You never take coins back where you got them! That's why we say don't dump where you eat. Also, you can possibly get coins at any bank, but it's best to use your own bank.

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I am lucky living halfway between Boston and Providence so lots of banks with lots of branches so have 4 different pickup bank/branches and 15+ dump banks with coin counters. If you only have a couple banks then you have a problem since it costs the banks money to get rid of your coins. Even if they tell you it is fine to pickup and dump there, they will get tired of it quickly

Carlitosway2

Apr 11, 2016
Long Island NY
Detector(s) used
(Favorite) CTX 3030
(Back up) whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok I just checked a 25 mile radius and I have about 20 branches. Iโ€™m gonna go tomorrow and let you know how I make out.. fingers crossed.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I order from brand A bank and dump them in a free coin counting machine at my credit union. I ordered another box from the same bank, different branch today. Ben Cartwright SASS, thanks for the info on the proofs, I guess I'd just call them damaged!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It just never ends for you does it Smokey?

You find treasure in everything you do!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff-Gordon, if you would have been with me out in the soybean field today you would have died! Well maybe not really. First came the 9" long oyster shells, then the hand forged nails, then the cow, then the colonial buttons, then the colonial buckle, then the lead colonial shot, then all the various types of ceramics, late 17th to 1st quarter 18th century, then the lock and frizzen to an ancient flintlock rifle, then the numerous long pieces of pipe stems, then the HAMMERED COIN CACHE. I left a HUGE hole in the field, with the owner's permission, he came over and said hi, he was wondering why I was so excited about the first find, a piece of the Venetian glass like I posted on earlier! I recovered the other piece I had spotted. Going back tomorrow with anther tnetter to dig more in that honey hole! My arms hurt! The hole is big enough to get in and hide. Permission is a wonderful thing! It will take days to get it all sorted. Then posted. Westerwald pottery, 2 tone tavern tankards, Venetian glass, redware, early 18th century Delftware, salt glaze stoneware. I am shaking! And in serious trouble as I done forgot the c-a-t food. Then have some dry, they'll make it!

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Smokey, Please post a pic of the Panama Republic coin. I presume the posted side is the reverse. Would love to see the other side! That's a nice welcome back to boxes. Congratz

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all. I took the Panama coin back to the bank, they were ok with it. I did another box last night which was a skunk. You never know.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the real Smokey. I got him when my brother died in 2010. He was semi feral. Now he has claimed me as his territory and is almost domesticated! I call the cat Hisself, as he is really into himself. He is in his usual place of residence, next to my pillow on the bed right now. He'll be (I think) 13 this year.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread