5000 Wheats (and counting)

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV (hobby lobby 40% off ;-) )
Primary Interest:
Other
Didn't really realize it until I updated my spreadsheet, but I've found just over 5,000 Wheats since I started sorting. Only took 943,000 coins! :-p Sadly, this wasn't the 5000th one, but still worth a post here:

S20190124_0004.jpg S20190124_0005.jpg S20190124_0006.jpg
No VDB, but still one hell of a find I think, and in decent shape for 110 years old!

Also found this lamination error too:
S20190124_0003.jpg S20190124_0002.jpg S20190124_0001.jpg

Happy hunting everyone!

Upvote 0

Uncleslick18

Oct 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome! I mainly do cents, a few years ago when I was pretty serious into it I was doing $300+ per week. I love finding the old wheats, IH, and older Canadian stuff. I’m back up to $100 or more a week, so I hope to pick back up where I left off. Nice finds

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Rosco: are these numbers from when you started on TN March 2018, or sometime prior?
Great numbers, any Key or Semi-key dates.

OP
OP
R

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Rosco: are these numbers from when you started on TN March 2018, or sometime prior?
Great numbers, any Key or Semi-key dates.

The same time I started sorting was when I started on here. Was reading on here prior to starting, and when I pulled the IH on my first sort thats when I posted. Also, which wheats are considered "key"?

Ranger Chuck

Apr 6, 2018
Central PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Key dates for wheats include 1909-S VDB, 09-S, 14D, and 31-S. They are all valuable pennies, even in G-4 condition. It would be amazing to find any one of them in circulation. Semi-keys include early teens S mints, 22-D, and 24-D.

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Rosco, nice stats on your Wheaties. But, can’t see the bottom of the reverse because picture is cropped!

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Key dates for wheats include 1909-S VDB, 09-S, 14D, and 31-S. They are all valuable pennies, even in G-4 condition. It would be amazing to find any one of them in circulation. Semi-keys include early teens S mints, 22-D, and 24-D.

so far, through CRH, I have

2 - 1909VDB (no S)
1 - 1912S
1 - 1914S
2 - 1922D
14,817 wheats

LOTS of 1956D, 57D, and 58D. Over 1,000 each, by a little.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I've only poked into CRH a little bit. Got some halves at my bank, paid my barber 20 of them and he scowled at me = but it was $10 solid and I got a haircut. Won't do that to him again for sure. He's still my barber....

rcb187

May 3, 2018
Cornville, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
damn roscoe that is badass. grats. i just started myself. question. do you only look for wheats and IH? what about LMC error and variety. what do you do with the searched pennys? the bank got mad at me today with my order of a box of 500$ halves. lol i have been pondering ideas around this. I saw some guys open a few seperate free bank accounts.

IMO for pennys , the 3$ that coinstar charges is worth it, when it takes me over 2 hours to reroll 2500 pennys lol.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
rcb187: you will find that at $3 a pop, it going to take a lot of key cents to pay for it. Consider it part of the hunt. Suggest, if you bought a box of cents, have your rerolls all prepped and ready to fill, working one roll at a time ( open roll, check, replace # of cents taken out, reroll ), this way you don't have to count out to 50, which takes most of the time. I make my prepped empty rolls while watching TV during the week ahead of time.
I can normally check a BOX of cents & reroll in about 1-hr, uninterrupted.

rcb187

May 3, 2018
Cornville, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow dozer that is impressive time. i am a bit confused to as how you prep the rolls? do you just arrange them in the box open? also how do u get thru a box and repackage in 1 hour dam. i have been taking out 60, 64, 69, 70, 71, 72, 84, 92, 98 , 99, also checking to see if years past 83 up to 90 are struck on copper planchet.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
rcb: my fault in the confusion. That 1-hour time is when I was ONLY looking for Wheaties, not coppers WAM or oddities.

OP
OP
R

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
damn roscoe that is badass. grats. i just started myself. question. do you only look for wheats and IH? what about LMC error and variety. what do you do with the searched pennys? the bank got mad at me today with my order of a box of 500$ halves. lol i have been pondering ideas around this. I saw some guys open a few seperate free bank accounts.

IMO for pennys , the 3$ that coinstar charges is worth it, when it takes me over 2 hours to reroll 2500 pennys lol.

My search tactics have "evolved" as I've searched more. I started out sorting out by date, counting up the coppers, and microscoping each coin. Then I started really only searching the key dates. Gave up counting copper after my first 100,000 cents. Then around Thanksgiving or so I really just gave up on the "key dates" for errors. Started realizing I'm not overly interested in errors. Found like 30 98/2000 wide ams, 4 72 doubled dies, an 1983, and some cuds and clips. Started just flipping through for wheats/IH/foreign/2009's then, and just recently gave up on 2009s as well. Basically I just grab a handful, line them up and flip through, if I see a memorial or date before 58, it goes back. Anything else I keep. I'll still pull a cud or clip if I see it, but I'm in this for old coins and foreign ones, so anything beyond that goes back into the bag.

As for the searched ones, put them back in a bag and take them in. My bank prefers I do that over boxes, saves on rolls and time, though getting the feeling I'm quite fortunate with my bank. I routinely go through 10 bags of coin a week and they don't seem to mind. Helps that I bring candy and make sure to never be in a hurry. Dimes I just rim search, can do a bag in about an hour. Nickels I still date-search, takes about an hour for a bag, and cents takes about 2 hours or so for a bag. Maybe talk to yours about doing bags instead? Bit more pricey, but a LOT easier.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Why did the bank get "mad at you" for a single box of halves? Did you try to return it to the same bank that sold it to you? That is always a bad idea.
I get 3 boxes at a time at my pickup bank and they are happy to do it. After searching them, I take the rejects to different branches of two different credit unions that have coin machines. I dump at 6 branches of those two credit unions in all - and no fees to do so. Two of those 6 branches have coinstars free for credit union members - which is nice because the coinstars require no bag changes. I try to limit my dumps to $400 each, with occasional higher dumps at the free coinstars. Check into credit unions and see if they have free coin machines for members.

rcb187

May 3, 2018
Cornville, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
interesting. thats quite a few wide am haha. do you sell coins on ebay or just stack em? how much money is in a bag? box is 25, bag 100? ill have to ask if they do bags. thanks alot man you gave me some good insight!

OP
OP
R

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
interesting. thats quite a few wide am haha. do you sell coins on ebay or just stack em? how much money is in a bag? box is 25, bag 100? ill have to ask if they do bags. thanks alot man you gave me some good insight!

I haven't sold anything, just stacked them. Thought it was neat finding the WAMs, then found more and realized they really aren't rare. As I searched more realized more and more the ones I got excited about were old ones and the foreign ones. Errors just don't do it for me...

A bag of cents for me is $50, bag of nickels is $100, dimes or quarters are $500, and $500 for halves (though think they're usually 1k for the bag, just happened to be at the branch at the right time). When I started I just told the teller what I was doing and asked what would work best for them on their end. I kinda knew the vault manager, had worked with her relation before, and I'm in a relatively small town. I'm extremely fortunate that all the people at the bank seem quite supportive thus far. Be polite, be understanding, do what you can to help, and candy/treats don't hurt ;-).

rcb187

May 3, 2018
Cornville, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why did the bank get "mad at you" for a single box of halves? Did you try to return it to the same bank that sold it to you? That is always a bad idea.
yes basicly this, i called other banks around town and one said they had a 500 just brought in, so i decided to grab it. finished searching it and called my bank, and asked if i could order one, they said yes. the next day i went to my bank with the 500$ box. she was like where did u get this box, i lied and just said i had it for a while, meanwhile i decided to check up on my order of the next box. shes like well we dont order them for collectors to just go through for a few silver coins. i appologized and said i still wanted the box and would not be returning it to their bank location.

oh yes i am new to this... lol what a *******!

I love the credit union idea. i think there is one in my town and it has a coinstar i will further investigate. not sure if they will let me become a member though due to my main address being a po box in another state. I travel around one location to the next for about six months at a time.

wow roscoe 1,000$ worth of penny in a bag. damn thats intense. might have to upgrade the shocks on my car to transport it home. i will inquire about the bags in lower denominations.

i recently ran into an old man who has six rolls of uncirculated Wheaties with 1940 on the ends. he doesn't know what price he wants for them so I offered 10$ per roll. we are due to meet Wednesday morning to discuss price, since you guys are such bad asses, any good haggling tips for Wednesday =D

thanks again for the tips guys

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rcb,

I think $10/roll might be an overly generous offer on your part - and that many on this forum would sell you rolls for less. But it would be a bargain in the remote chance there was a key date in one.

Even if the credit union does not work out for membership, check the non-member fee for its coin machine. My credit union charges nothing for members and 5% for non-members. I struck up a conversation with a guy feeding $1000 of dimes in the coinstar at the local walmart - charging 12.9% and told him there was another machine nearly across the street charging only 5% and he couldn't be bothered. Using the credit union machine would have saved him about $80 even as a non-member.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread