Well, maybe I should start doing more halves...

DanFromOhio

Tenderfoot
Jan 9, 2019
Buckeye State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, so I am a little taken aback. Last weekend I got probably the best box of halves I will ever get. :headbang:
Back story:
I am usually a cents box hunter, as well as nickels once in a while, and sometimes halves when the mood strikes and I can fit it in my cash flow. But I consider myself more of a collector than a silver stacker or bullion hoarder so don't usually chase silver only.
My first halves hunt was about 2 years ago, found 1 benji and about 4x40% in 6 rolls which was a great start I guess. But since then, been skunked on all halves attempts so kind of stopped bothering.

But the other say I decided to do a full box of halves and see what happened.
First, I had what looked like 5x40% enders. So not a bad start. Then I opened the first roll and there were no less than 4 white edges.....um, interesting. 4x40% silvers in first roll? Next roll, 1 edge. Next 2 more. Next, 1 more. And it just kept going. Talk about a blast. I only had a few rolls in the whole box that DIDN'T have a white edge showing!

Here are the end results:
69 x 1965-1970 (yes 69!) 40%ers
7 x NIFC (including one that looks like it was removed from cello or mint set or whatever with a screwdriver:laughing9:) Honestly, some people...
5-6 x AU/BU coins
another 7-8 toners or coins that I just liked so will keep

But....not a single pre-1964....is that a little weird:icon_scratch:?
So...collection dump? Or just random luck? or what?:dontknow:

In any case, I am going to be ordering more halves boxes for sure...this could get addicting...
See pics below. Ignore the cents/nickels
20190122_220309.jpg
20190122_220316.jpg

Upvote 0

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! Often people know to keep any coins from 64 and before but don't know about the 40% so they get dumped more often.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know the answer to your question, but good job there.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I think the old timers and older tellers sometimes ignore the 40%, because we used to throw them back. Between 2010-2014, my ratio of 40% vs 90% was about 30:1.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread