I'm oFISHally HOOKED!!!

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter land ranger pro, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
20190125_162422.jpg 20190125_162406.jpg
This is my first official coin roll hunt. I looked through my mom's and sisters change and found 5 old coins and one clipped one... 5 were silver. That was quite awhile ago. Today I got ten rolls of dimes and five of the rolls were really old rolls. On my third roll, out popped this nice 1967 silver!!! Also kept the few American dimes I found... if I'm going to be doing this often it might make cents (pun intended) to keep them for the exchange.

Upvote 0

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
EQ800 (Stock Coil), Nokta Legend (LG30/LG24)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Such a nice surprise! I hope you get more pleasant surprises with the coin roll hunting.
You've got my attention. I may have to try this soon.

OP
OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Such a nice surprise! I hope you get more pleasant surprises with the coin roll hunting.
You've got my attention. I may have to try this soon.

It never hurts to try! Hardly anyone coin roll hunts in canada compared to the u.s. so you might not find as many as I did.. but that is just my guess. Also our silver dimes and quarters go up to 1068 and u.s. only goes to 1964. (some 68's are and some are not) Hope you try it and have good luck!

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find. Looks like its nearly uncirculated. Every now and again I have gotten canadian silver dimes in rolls here.

OP
OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find. Looks like its nearly uncirculated. Every now and again I have gotten canadian silver dimes in rolls here.

How many rolls do you do per month? What are your yearly silver finds on average?

OP
OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

What do you think it's worth? Yah it's in pretty good shape.

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV (hobby lobby 40% off ;-) )
Primary Interest:
Other
Great finds, all it took me was 8 rolls of pennies and I was hooked, wish ya the best of luck. The only silver quarter I've found was a Canadian, and pulled 2 silver canadian dimes too.

OP
OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds, all it took me was 8 rolls of pennies and I was hooked, wish ya the best of luck. The only silver quarter I've found was a Canadian, and pulled 2 silver canadian dimes too.

Why do you look for pennies? Do you just like the old coins or are you looking for valuable ones? You can melt copper it's against the law.

Kona Koma

Bronze Member
Nov 13, 2017
On the Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this Canadian quarter about 10” deep behind a Victorian home in California with my Nox 800. It came out just like this picture. Very shinny and in pretty good condition. I was a thrilled.

Kona Koma

1DE25DFC-72A8-4CF1-9505-43A895B3A7B4.jpeg EAC00345-65BE-4618-8044-C910894D6891.jpeg

OP
OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I found this Canadian quarter about 10” deep behind a Victorian home in California with my Nox 800. It came out just like this picture. Very shinny and in pretty good condition. I was a thrilled.

Kona Koma

View attachment 1674767 View attachment 1674770

Nice! I have a 1919 dime but the date is barely visible... it is very very worn. Still a nice find though.

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV (hobby lobby 40% off ;-) )
Primary Interest:
Other
Why do you look for pennies? Do you just like the old coins or are you looking for valuable ones? You can melt copper it's against the law.

Mainly do pennies because they fit in my budget :-p. I think pennies are more fun than dimes, much more difference and more to look for. Definitely like pulling older ones too, and that's easier with pennies it seems. And not hoarding, I don't care about the copper... Also, you may appreciate this one, got it in some change while I was working in Atlantic Canada, never realized it wasn't a dime until I started doing this:
1904 canada nickel.jpg 1904 canada nickel tails.jpg

Last edited:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Dimes are a blast, I really miss hunting them! Congrats on the 1967 silver, it’s either 50 or 80%.
Living in Mich, I used to find thousands of Canadian dimes. So many, that I’d just run a magnet thru ‘em and keep the ones that didn’t stick. I found a couple hundred silver Canadian dimes between about 2010-2014, I sold all the 1967-68 silvers.

OP
OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dimes are a blast, I really miss hunting them! Congrats on the 1967 silver, it’s either 50 or 80%.
Living in Mich, I used to find thousands of Canadian dimes. So many, that I’d just run a magnet thru ‘em and keep the ones that didn’t stick. I found a couple hundred silver Canadian dimes between about 2010-2014, I sold all the 1967-68 silvers.

How much did you get for selling them?

OP
OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mainly do pennies because they fit in my budget :-p. I think pennies are more fun than dimes, much more difference and more to look for. Definitely like pulling older ones too, and that's easier with pennies it seems. And not hoarding, I don't care about the copper... Also, you may appreciate this one, got it in some change while I was working in Atlantic Canada, never realized it wasn't a dime until I started doing this:
View attachment 1675133 View attachment 1675134

Really neat!!! My sister has one but the year is 1919

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
How many rolls do you do per month? What are your yearly silver finds on average?

This is the first year I have counted, and so far in 2019, I have searched $1,375 of dimes. I haven't tallied my yearly finds (2019 will be the first year I do), but I have searched for 20+ years, and over the course of time I have found a lot of silver. Between the cost of gas to drive to banks, time, etc., its not like I have actually made any money doing this - I just think it is neat that I can find silver and/or old pennies and nickels in circulation.

The one benefit we have here in the US vs. Canada is half dollars. While they don't circulate widely, they are available at banks and we can order them in boxes of $500. Because they don't circulate much, and there was a high quantity of silver coins minted before 1970 (the half is the only US coin that retained silver after 1964), you can still find them.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Mygirl,

Congrats on the find! There are two Varieties for the 1867-1967 Commemorative Canadian Ten Cent coins. For the first half of the year, they were struck in 80% Silver and 20% percent Copper, then during the second half of the year, they were struck in 50% Silver and 50% Copper due to the higher prices of Silver during that time period. There is no real or easy way to tell the difference as the planchets used for both, weighed the same.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
How much did you get for selling them?
Like huntsman53 mentioned, the 67’s were either 50 or 80% silver. No way to know really, so they are sold as if they are 65%. Being dirty like 40% halves, I think I received about a buck a piece for them, and even less for the 68’s

OP
OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like huntsman53 mentioned, the 67’s were either 50 or 80% silver. No way to know really, so they are sold as if they are 65%. Being dirty like 40% halves, I think I received about a buck a piece for them, and even less for the 68’s

Ok good to know thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread