Like finding a DIAMOND IN THE ROUGH

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Picked up seven dime boxes today for this weekend from various branches. In the third box, opened up a roll only to see a very bright unusually sharp edged coin. At first I had thought it could be foreign, looked a little wider than a typical Rosie. Pulled it out, and just like finding a DIAMOND in the rough, it turned out to be a 2007-S SILVER Rosie. I feel sorry that someone opened up a silver proof set only to throw away this dime and any other coins just for the qtr or half. What a pity. I double checked the gram weight at 2.5g which is what a 90% silver is. I'm NOT going to stack this baby with all the other junk silver, but put it in a flip where it should be all along. Enjoy the pics:
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1549146316.602996.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1549146338.672115.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1549146360.227002.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1549146384.087365.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1549146407.728841.jpg

Turned out to be the ONLY silver in the box.

Upvote 0

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I must admit to breaking open some proof sets as a kid and spending the coins on candy at the local 7-11. Uuuugh !!! Wish I could go back in time and save those beauties. Congrats....shes a beauty.

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter land ranger pro, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
... WHAT??? How is a 2007 dime silver??? I thought u.s. dimes are only silver after 1965...???

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
... WHAT??? How is a 2007 dime silver??? I thought u.s. dimes are only silver after 1965...???

It was part of a proof set.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a Silver Proof 1976 Half in a roll once that happens to be my oldest Daughters birth year so I gave it to her in a plastic coin case.

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It was part of a proof set.

OK this is gonna sound stupid... but I'm new to the world of coins. What is a proof set? A specially made coin that they sell or something?

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Love when those fat silver proof dimes show up, even the clad proof stick out like a sore thumb.

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
OK this is gonna sound stupid... but I'm new to the world of coins. What is a proof set? A specially made coin that they sell or something?

Proof sets are made specifically for sale to collectors, they have clad sets and 90% silver sets. They have special care taken when making them and are in hard plastic holders and need to be "cracked out". They do show up

Raider19962

Mar 4, 2018
Delaware, The First State
Detector(s) used
White's, Technetics, Fisher M, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Proof sets are better than extremely fine condition, better than uncirculated condition, and better than mint condition. They are basically flawless examples, usually encased in a protective container of some sort, and have the highest value for that example of a given year coin. They rarely end up in circulation, usually because some fool took them out of the protective container so they could spend them at face value. This would almost certainly NOT be the guy who bought it originally, so it was likely stolen and spent.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Additionally, proof coins are manufactured from highly polished planchettes, with specially made, highly polished dies. The combination results in an extremely sharp, mirror like finish. The dies obverse and reverse designs may even differ slightly from those for standard business strikes.

The website for the US Mint should have a better description than a bunch of old farts can cobble together. If you need more information, it might be a good place too look.

Finally time for coffee.

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh ok. That's kinda what I thought. So I guess if you found one it would be worth tons. Thanks

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Additionally, proof coins are manufactured from highly polished planchettes, with specially made, highly polished dies. The combination results in an extremely sharp, mirror like finish. The dies obverse and reverse designs may even differ slightly from those for standard business strikes.

The website for the US Mint should have a better description than a bunch of old farts can cobble together. If you need more information, it might be a good place too look.

Finally time for coffee.

OK. So if I found a coin that was a proof and wasn't silver, I would know it was a proof because of its look. But of course the chances of finding one is next to nothing. Ok thanks! ;)

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Finally time for coffee.

OK. So if I found a coin that was a proof and wasn't silver, I would know it was a proof because of its look. But of course the chances of finding one is next to nothing. Ok thanks! ;) enjoy your coffee ��

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Mvgirl: if you find a proof in the WILD, you will notice the difference right away. No, they will NOT be worth tons of money only because their condition has been man-handled and marked with minor nicks & dings. Suggest you go on line to see a vid " How U S proof coins are made", or on U-Tube. Also, get yourself a current "U S Coins RED BOOK", to answer nearly all your newbi questions, it will greatly help your way into this hobby.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mygirl, Your profile indicates that you are in Winnipeg - is that right? Have you been to the Royal Canadian Mint at Winnipeg? It could be a fun and informative visit.

https://www.mint.ca/store/mint/visit-the-mint/winnipeg-location-8900024#.XF8-mlVKjcc

Also, there are many books about various aspects of Canadian coins at the library that could be checked out. See if you can find a book called "Striking Impressions - The Royal Canadian mint and Canadian Coinage" by James Haxby. I picked up my copy at a used bookstore for a couple of bucks maybe 30 years ago. While good, there should be more up-to-date books now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread