Clip

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV (hobby lobby 40% off ;-) )
Primary Interest:
Other
4 more bags of cents this week and skunked on a quarter one. Did find this one though:
S20190204_0029.jpg S20190204_0030.jpg
4th or 5th clipped cent so far, always kinda neat to find.

And, have to show this one off, love the 100 year olds!
S20190204_0027.jpg S20190204_0028.jpg

Off for some nickels in the AM and some more cents come Wednesday. Happy Hunting Everyone!

Upvote 0

Uncleslick18

Oct 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome. About how many wheats did you come up with? I used to be able to buy bags, which is obviously preferable to banging rolls together to split the paper and emptying them into a bucket

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Rosco: with all the Wheats you've been finding, you should be baking bread soon, and rolling in the dough. (pun on words).
Are all these bags coming from the same bank, if so, that is one very very busy bank.

OP
OP
R

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome. About how many wheats did you come up with? I used to be able to buy bags, which is obviously preferable to banging rolls together to split the paper and emptying them into a bucket

I've been averaging 26 wheats per bag, though the "actual" average is 18 after factoring in the 3 dumps I've found.

OP
OP
R

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Rosco: with all the Wheats you've been finding, you should be baking bread soon, and rolling in the dough. (pun on words).
Are all these bags coming from the same bank, if so, that is one very very busy bank.

I've gotten bags from 4 different banks, but the VAST majority are from the closest one in my town. I've settled into a weekly routine with them, know the dump day so can usually get 5 or so bags of cents a week, and so far they've been amazingly nice to me.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Rosco: do you dump at the same banks that you get bags, if so then you are rechecking your dumped coins. Please explain your process..

OP
OP
R

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, I do dump and take from the same bank and so far I've only had 5 bags that I've gone through the coins from. I'm sure I've re-checked some coins, no doubt, but usually find something in every bag so... I spoke to my CU and know which day they send out their change, so the day before they do I take out cents for the week, when they have the most on hand (usually 4-8 bags). Once I'm done with the cents, I usually try to get nickels 2 days before the CU's exchange day. I then "dump" all the coins the day before the exchange and take out more, so that way the coins I've done are sent out by the bank the next morning. The ladies at my CU are also insanely kind enough to almost keep track of what I've gone through as well, alerting me if they know I took out a certain denomination recently. Dimes and Quarters I may do a bag once a month or so, limiting the chances of re-sorting those. The 5 "sorted" bags I got, 4 were from another branch of the same bank, which I found out gets coins from the main one when they are needed. Another was when I was just starting and didn't know the bank's schedule. Its worked for me great so far, and the CU has been rather supportive as well, which I'm very thankful for. They have said there'd be a charge for half dollars, but the manager has been on vacation so I haven't found out exactly what it will be.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Clipped coins were the most common errors I found for a long time. Once I started looking for internal die chips, they quickly became the most common. Still, I have about 100 die chips in the safe, with Jefferson being dominant. Probably because I prefer nicks when I search.

Time for more coffee.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions