Earn a little CASH with u.s. dimes???

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter land ranger pro, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello there. I live in Canada so was wondering if I had a bunch of u.s. dimes from roll hunting wether I could trade them in at a bank and earn a little since they are worth more than our dimes. Do they do this or should I go somewhere else? Right now a roll of u.s. dimes would be worth about 6 bucks instead of 5.

Please help if you know id appreciate it! ;)

Upvote 0

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Canadian banks only take coin at face value. I have never seen a bank accept American coin and give you the transfer ratio. Bills, sure, but never coin. Take them to the states next time and use a coin star or a bank that will accept them without an account...

Good luck!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i had a bunch of British pounds. I exchanged them however the bank does normally charge a fee.

OP
OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Canadian banks only take coin at face value. I have never seen a bank accept American coin and give you the transfer ratio. Bills, sure, but never coin. Take them to the states next time and use a coin star or a bank that will accept them without an account...

Good luck!

Rats. Ok well I won't collect them then... I have never been and don't think Ill been in the States this year. Besides, bringing a bunch of dimes wouldn't be practical anyway. Thanks for letting me know though.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Back nearly 20 years ago I lived in Metro-Detroit and regularly commuted to Metro-Toronto for a lady friend, accumulated quite a bit of Canadian coins and bills.

I cashed them in at my Detroit bank, and as I recall the bank cashed them for me at the exchange rate. That may have changed by now.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
will gladly trade you my steel Canada dimes for your silver US dimes:laughing9::happysmiley::laughing9:

tanz 82

Mar 16, 2012
N.mass- S.nh
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go to Montreal once a year and bring all my Canadian coins up . After coinstar fee and exchange it wouldn't be worth it for just cashing but it does pay for lunch one day

OP
OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before you just cash the U.S. coins in, you could always try selling them locally via craigslist, facebook marketplace or some other free listing site to someone who either collects them or possibly to someone who is travelling to the U.S. and can take advantage of the conversion rate to make a little for themselves.

You may have to offer a discount on the conversion rate to get someone to buy them, but you should be able to get more than you paid for them if you can find a buyer. Whether it is worth the hassle or not is your call.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say that it is worth asking your bank if they offer currency exchange. They might. Just tell them that it will be US coins for CAD dollars - see what they say.

I know that at least one of my banks will do it (BMO Harris) - but they do charge a fee.

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny story. I have been collecting coins and have been coin roll hunting for years, over the years I amassed around 350$ in dimes, nickels and quarters. I brought them with me to Hawaii when I went for my honeymoon, my wife said I was an idiot but money is money.... I got stopped at ever single check point with a million questions as to why I was bringing so much coin. I told them the story of how it’s taken me years of CRHing and they looked at me like I was an alien. I ended up going to a few banks and they accepted them with a bit of hesitation being I wasn’t a member. One place charged me 10% but that was fine with me. In the end I got somewhere in the neighbourhood of 310$ American to spend. Next time only bringing quarters and dimes. Nickels are too much weight and space for the profit.

OP
OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Before you just cash the U.S. coins in, you could always try selling them locally via craigslist, facebook marketplace or some other free listing site to someone who either collects them or possibly to someone who is travelling to the U.S. and can take advantage of the conversion rate to make a little for themselves.

You may have to offer a discount on the conversion rate to get someone to buy them, but you should be able to get more than you paid for them if you can find a buyer. Whether it is worth the hassle or not is your call.

Interesting idea. I looked on ebay and kijiji and no one has anything like that. Therefore I don't think anyone who was going to the u.s. would think to look for that. Thanks for the creative idea though, it was worth looking into. Maybe if I was doing quarters... but selling u.s. dimes makes it even more unlikely that some one would buy.

OP
OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Funny story. I have been collecting coins and have been coin roll hunting for years, over the years I amassed around 350$ in dimes, nickels and quarters. I brought them with me to Hawaii when I went for my honeymoon, my wife said I was an idiot but money is money.... I got stopped at ever single check point with a million questions as to why I was bringing so much coin. I told them the story of how it’s taken me years of CRHing and they looked at me like I was an alien. I ended up going to a few banks and they accepted them with a bit of hesitation being I wasn’t a member. One place charged me 10% but that was fine with me. In the end I got somewhere in the neighbourhood of 310$ American to spend. Next time only bringing quarters and dimes. Nickels are too much weight and space for the profit.

Haha! Hope you didn't pay your luggage by weight... you'd be in big trouble with all those coins!!!:coins::laughing7:
I just started looking for silver this month and have gone though 30 rolls and found 1 1967 silver. What do you look for? If you do dimes how many rolls does it generally take to find a silver? Is looking through quarters worth it? I wouldn't be able to take as much rolls out at a time as dimes because quarters are more costly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are you talking CDN coins? If US, the only 1967 that has any silver would be a 40% JFK half. 1964 and older dimes are 90%

Yes. I live in canada so I go through canadian dimes. So far I've found only one u.s. silver in my sister's jar... she wouldn't trade for a dime so I bought it for .50 cents lol:notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread