Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree12Likes
  • 2 Post By Mvgirl
  • 2 Post By Bquamb
  • 1 Post By smokeythecat
  • 1 Post By Mvgirl
  • 1 Post By DeepseekerADS
  • 1 Post By port ewen ace
  • 1 Post By tanz 82
  • 2 Post By Bquamb
  • 1 Post By cyberdan

Thread: Earn a little CASH with u.s. dimes???

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    ca
    Semi-precious rock and gem collecter, classic book reader, horse lover, metal detecter gal.

Aug 2018
    Winnipeg MB.
    Bounty Hunter Jr., Garrett Carrot
    498 times
    Metal Detecting

Earn a little CASH with u.s. dimes???

Hello there. I live in Canada so was wondering if I had a bunch of u.s. dimes from roll hunting wether I could trade them in at a bank and earn a little since they are worth more than our dimes. Do they do this or should I go somewhere else? Right now a roll of u.s. dimes would be worth about 6 bucks instead of 5.

Please help if you know id appreciate it!
    Always check rabbit holes when metal detecting... you never know, there might be karats down there.

ca
    Tall-ass coil sweeper

Dec 2014
    Vancouver Island
    CTX 3030
    356 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Canadian banks only take coin at face value. I have never seen a bank accept American coin and give you the transfer ratio. Bills, sure, but never coin. Take them to the states next time and use a coin star or a bank that will accept them without an account...

Good luck!
    Mvgirl and Johncoho like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    17384 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    i had a bunch of British pounds. I exchanged them however the bank does normally charge a fee.
    Mvgirl likes this.

ca
    Semi-precious rock and gem collecter, classic book reader, horse lover, metal detecter gal.

Aug 2018
    Winnipeg MB.
    498 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Bquamb View Post
    Canadian banks only take coin at face value. I have never seen a bank accept American coin and give you the transfer ratio. Bills, sure, but never coin. Take them to the states next time and use a coin star or a bank that will accept them without an account...

Good luck!
    Rats. Ok well I won't collect them then... I have never been and don't think Ill been in the States this year. Besides, bringing a bunch of dimes wouldn't be practical anyway. Thanks for letting me know though.
    Bquamb likes this.
    Always check rabbit holes when metal detecting... you never know, there might be karats down there.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    16075 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    Back nearly 20 years ago I lived in Metro-Detroit and regularly commuted to Metro-Toronto for a lady friend, accumulated quite a bit of Canadian coins and bills.

I cashed them in at my Detroit bank, and as I recall the bank cashed them for me at the exchange rate. That may have changed by now.
    Mvgirl likes this.
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

us
    ebay "ulster-relic"

Dec 2012
    port ewen ny
    AT-PRO
    6205 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    will gladly trade you my steel Canada dimes for your silver US dimes
    Mvgirl likes this.

us
    Mar 2012
    N.mass- S.nh
    942 times
    I go to Montreal once a year and bring all my Canadian coins up . After coinstar fee and exchange it wouldn't be worth it for just cashing but it does pay for lunch one day
    Mvgirl likes this.
    where ever you go their you'll be !

ca

Aug 2018
    Winnipeg MB.
    498 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by port ewen ace View Post
    will gladly trade you my steel Canada dimes for your silver US dimes
    HA! Very funny. NO WAY DUDE!!!

Dec 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    Garrett Ace 250
    108 times
    Before you just cash the U.S. coins in, you could always try selling them locally via craigslist, facebook marketplace or some other free listing site to someone who either collects them or possibly to someone who is travelling to the U.S. and can take advantage of the conversion rate to make a little for themselves.

You may have to offer a discount on the conversion rate to get someone to buy them, but you should be able to get more than you paid for them if you can find a buyer. Whether it is worth the hassle or not is your call.

Sep 2012
    451 times
    I'd say that it is worth asking your bank if they offer currency exchange. They might. Just tell them that it will be US coins for CAD dollars - see what they say.

I know that at least one of my banks will do it (BMO Harris) - but they do charge a fee.

ca
    Tall-ass coil sweeper

Dec 2014
    Vancouver Island
    CTX 3030
    356 times
    Funny story. I have been collecting coins and have been coin roll hunting for years, over the years I amassed around 350$ in dimes, nickels and quarters. I brought them with me to Hawaii when I went for my honeymoon, my wife said I was an idiot but money is money.... I got stopped at ever single check point with a million questions as to why I was bringing so much coin. I told them the story of how it’s taken me years of CRHing and they looked at me like I was an alien. I ended up going to a few banks and they accepted them with a bit of hesitation being I wasn’t a member. One place charged me 10% but that was fine with me. In the end I got somewhere in the neighbourhood of 310$ American to spend. Next time only bringing quarters and dimes. Nickels are too much weight and space for the profit.
    Mvgirl and bertmaster2000 like this.

ca

Aug 2018
    Winnipeg MB.
    498 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by GMan00001 View Post
    Before you just cash the U.S. coins in, you could always try selling them locally via craigslist, facebook marketplace or some other free listing site to someone who either collects them or possibly to someone who is travelling to the U.S. and can take advantage of the conversion rate to make a little for themselves.

You may have to offer a discount on the conversion rate to get someone to buy them, but you should be able to get more than you paid for them if you can find a buyer. Whether it is worth the hassle or not is your call.
    Interesting idea. I looked on ebay and kijiji and no one has anything like that. Therefore I don't think anyone who was going to the u.s. would think to look for that. Thanks for the creative idea though, it was worth looking into. Maybe if I was doing quarters... but selling u.s. dimes makes it even more unlikely that some one would buy.

ca

Aug 2018
    Winnipeg MB.
    498 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Bquamb View Post
    Funny story. I have been collecting coins and have been coin roll hunting for years, over the years I amassed around 350$ in dimes, nickels and quarters. I brought them with me to Hawaii when I went for my honeymoon, my wife said I was an idiot but money is money.... I got stopped at ever single check point with a million questions as to why I was bringing so much coin. I told them the story of how it’s taken me years of CRHing and they looked at me like I was an alien. I ended up going to a few banks and they accepted them with a bit of hesitation being I wasn’t a member. One place charged me 10% but that was fine with me. In the end I got somewhere in the neighbourhood of 310$ American to spend. Next time only bringing quarters and dimes. Nickels are too much weight and space for the profit.
    Haha! Hope you didn't pay your luggage by weight... you'd be in big trouble with all those coins!!!
    I just started looking for silver this month and have gone though 30 rolls and found 1 1967 silver. What do you look for? If you do dimes how many rolls does it generally take to find a silver? Is looking through quarters worth it? I wouldn't be able to take as much rolls out at a time as dimes because quarters are more costly.
    Last edited by Mvgirl; Feb 08, 2019 at 11:51 PM.

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2006
    Left Coast
    XLT & Bigfoot
    1826 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mvgirl View Post
    have gone though 30 rolls and found 1 1967 silver.
    Are you talking CDN coins? If US, the only 1967 that has any silver would be a 40% JFK half. 1964 and older dimes are 90%
    Mvgirl likes this.
    at yard sales I am dollardan

ca

Aug 2018
    Winnipeg MB.
    498 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberdan View Post
    Are you talking CDN coins? If US, the only 1967 that has any silver would be a 40% JFK half. 1964 and older dimes are 90%
    Yes. I live in canada so I go through canadian dimes. So far I've found only one u.s. silver in my sister's jar... she wouldn't trade for a dime so I bought it for .50 cents lol

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links