Major Lamination Error or PMD?

Ranger Chuck

Apr 6, 2018
Central PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this penny roll hunting today. When I first saw it I thought major PMD, but after looking at it closer, I realized large areas of the obverse face appear to be flaking away. I've seen lamination errors before, but never this large and usually with any "flakes" already detached from the surface of the coin (like on the right side of this penny). Did something else cause this or is this a legit lamination error? IMG_20190207_220353700.jpg IMG_20190207_220435656.jpg IMG_20190207_220540112.jpg

Upvote 0

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Looks like a coating. Adhesive or glue of some kind?

Soak in acetone for 48 hours. It should slough right off.

Time for more coffee.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe it is a legitimate major delamination error. Put it in a 2x2 before it falls off!

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
We now have a case that is quite common. A difference of opinion. I suggest you take the coin to a qualified professional for evaluation.

Time for more coffee.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
are the flakes metal or a film like tape, urethane or acrylic? that crescent fold over on right side is rather odd. if real ---- it's a mega find.

Last edited:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That area on the right is where the lamination has already come off.

OP
OP
R

Ranger Chuck

Apr 6, 2018
Central PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to everyone who has weighed in so far! As far as I can tell, there is no foreign substance on the surface of the coin. The raised/cracked area is clearly metallic and appears to be the copper from the coin itself. The bright area under "Liberty" must have raised a bit higher than other areas and been scraped or rubbed during recent processing (this came from a MWR).

The crescent shaped depression on the right side appears to be where the top layer of the coin's surface has already come off some time ago.

I'm leaning heavily towards this being a legitimate major error, but I won't know for sure until I get it checked out. I'll put it in a 2x2 until I can get it to my LCS for examination.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to everyone who has weighed in so far! As far as I can tell, there is no foreign substance on the surface of the coin. The raised/cracked area is clearly metallic and appears to be the copper from the coin itself. The bright area under "Liberty" must have raised a bit higher than other areas and been scraped or rubbed during recent processing (this came from a MWR).

The crescent shaped depression on the right side appears to be where the top layer of the coin's surface has already come off some time ago.

I'm leaning heavily towards this being a legitimate major error, but I won't know for sure until I get it checked out. I'll put it in a 2x2 until I can get it to my LCS for examination.

I gotta believe :icon_thumleft::icon_thumright: not a fan of having it certified--- BUT-- that ugly :censored: cent should be worth a buncha buckolas more than the $3 Redbook--- put it on Ebay and wait til the hounds are let loose in a feeding frenzy of bidders :hello2:

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
It would not be the first time I am wrong. And not the last. I, too, am not a fan of having it certified by one of the big boys. Perhaps if I were going to be at a show where one of the grading services is present, I would change my mind.

Let us know what the LCS tells you.

Time for more coffee.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe it is a legitimate major delamination error. Put it in a 2x2 before it falls off!

Incredible lamination find. :thumbsup:

Definitely agree with Enamel.
Slip that puppy into a 2x2 holder to protect the retained pieces that are still attached.

EDIT: The shiny area below LIBERTY is the most recent area of metal to come off.

Last edited:

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a really cool lamination error. So much to look at on that coin. Nice find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread