Armored Car Coin / Currency Contracts by Bank

blueberra

Oct 15, 2009
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The banks that I have dealt with in the Metrowest Boston area have all, to the best of my knowledge, used Loomis to handle their coin and currency needs.

Three times in the last few weeks, I have seen a Dunbar truck at a large retail complex (no banks, however) near me.

Is there any way I can find out if Dunbar (who I believe merged with Brinks a while back) has any contracts with any banks in my area?

Or, said differently, has anyone tried to put together a database or list of banks and their coin suppliers?

I suspect that most smaller, regional banks will deal with a single provider, but, perhaps larger ones might have contracts that vary by region.

My strategy, of course, is to have accounts with two (or more) banks that have contract with different suppliers and acquire / dump coins (halves, in my case) at different branches of the same banks.

I doubt that there is much of a difference between these armored car services, but if one deals more with big retail stores (like Walmart) and others deal more with banks, then you get a different source of the coins.

Also, there are several CoinStar machines in grocery stores near me. CoinStar takes a piece of the action (9%, I think) to process coins. To the best of my knowledge, their machines reject silver. Does anyone know which company handles the CoinStar accounts or is it big enough that it does its own? These machines get a lot of business and, if my suspicion is correct, no silver.

Upvote 0

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all branches of my CU dumped Loomis and moved to Dunbar. local Wally uses Brinks. C-star rejects silver

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man... You really take CRH to the next level!
I have nothing constructive to say. I don't know.
I do know that quite by accident that a coinstar will absolutely eat your 1909s vdb. :BangHead:

OUCH!
(Please Say it 'aint so. :censored:)

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I get Loomis, Brinks, and occasionally NF String boxes of halves from my 4 source banks. I’ve gotten at least 2 different types of boxes from all 4 banks. At two of the banks, I have gotten all 3 types of boxes. This leads me to believe that all 4 of my banks have multiple contracts with couriers. The good news is that lately (last 1-1/2 months) I have gotten Loomis boxes exclusively. My silver success rate from Loomis boxes is far superior to the others. BTW, the Coinstars in my area do reject silver, and charge 11.9%!

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you are in Massachusetts, one bank that I know of that has branches there (Community Bank) uses Loomis. At least every branch I've been to in western NY uses Loomis and I suspect that the bank as whole does.

As far as Coinstar machines go, a few years back I talked to a Coinstar technician as he was replacing the motor in the machine at the Geneseo, NY Wal-Mart. He told me how the machine worked and also said that they contract with Loomis for sorting and rolling, which means less silver in Loomis rolls in the Rochester, NY area. He did mention that they contract with different vendors in different areas, so I would guess that they look for the best deal.

I also talked to a co-worker who's son works for Dunbar. They are relatively new to the Rochester, NY area (a couple of years now) and only supply businesses here.

Good luck!

Scott

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, Coinstar rejects silver. Haul from one machine last week.

Attachments

• D6BBA98E-CD3E-4BAD-91E2-B7C20A8E6DCA.jpeg
    D6BBA98E-CD3E-4BAD-91E2-B7C20A8E6DCA.jpeg
    501.3 KB · Views: 92

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks, I’ve only found coins in a couple other occasions, the best being about 15 or so Canadian dimes. No silver before this.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread