Penny info

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
The best advice I can give you, if you want to find a few “get rich quick” cents, is to buy a few lottery tickets. The odds are better.

If you want to find coins that you can flip to local collectors for a few bucks over face each time, then you need to learn everything you can about errors. Die cracks, die breaks, cuds, clips, hub doubling, RPMs are just a few of the terms you will be learning if you want to go this route.

Many errors are low value compared to those shown in the links provided by digger27, but the likelihood of finding one in a bag of cents is much higher. I find cuds, cracks, and clips on a fairly regular basis. Most of these get sold to local collectors.

Time for more coffee.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
. . .The last years that the most copper was used for example. . .

The most copper was 1793-1794 (100% copper, almost 13.5 grams).
Next most was 1794-1857 (100% copper, just under 11 grams).
Next most was 1856-1864 (88% copper, 4.7 grams - 4.1 grams acw).

OP
OP
J

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
Google is my friend? And your not. I asked a simple question about modern day pennies not rare ones. Disregard this thread is my best advise given to myself. Thanks to the couple that were courteous with thier response.

Tough crowd.

Uncleslick18

Oct 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Jon, not sure how you plan to go through/sort them, but basically, you’re looking for 1959-1981, these are 95% copper. There are some 1982 cents that are also 95% copper, there is a weight difference, which I couldn’t tell you what it is, I use a reydale sorter to sort mine, which probably takes just about all of the intelligence out of the process, but my motives for hunting pennies may differ from one who hand sorts.
1909-1958 are Lincoln wheat cents, and Indian head cents are dated 1864-1909, these will all have slight variations in composition, but are 95% copper as well. The only caveat here is the 1943 wheat cent, which was made of steal due to WWII efforts to conserve war materials (copper, nickel also, but that is irrelevant in this instance).

Hope this helps

OP
OP
J

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
That's what I was wondering about. To save 1981 and earlier or 1982 and earlier. Thanks for your response.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Enamel7 gives good advice. It is just not complete. There are many websites dedicated to coins. Some good. Most, in my opinion, are marginal to bad. YouTube is a vast wasteland, so be very careful about any information you may glean from there.

I still do not understand your objective. Your original post seemed a bit vague, so I gave you some information that matched the original tenor, hoping you would get a bit more specific.

Just saving copper cents is insufficient. Unless you take the time to learn what collectors and resellers want, you are just stacking bricks, with little return on investment.

Time for more coffee.

Last edited:

Uncleslick18

Oct 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I don’t know that I agree with that... melt on $100fv of copper Lincoln’s is $188.94. Depending on what how you list them, you could very well clear $30-40 per $100 after fees and shipping. A 30-40% return on investment is nearly impossible to match, especially in the short term, this of course does not factor in your time, gas, miles on your car, for both pickup and dumps, etc... I suppose you could argue either way, but if this is a hobby by which you acquire older, collectible cents, or is just something you enjoy doing, the byproduct of the hunt does provide a somewhat decent return

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two big things to look for. Wheat cents, as already stated. You can maybe get 3 cents each for them. Errors is another. The most expensive Lincoln error was the 1955 double die obverse. Chances of finding one are slim to none, however, you can find double dies for 1972, 1984 and 1995. In 1998, 1999 and 2000 there is a variety that on the reverse the "A" and the "M" are separated more than usual. The 1999 is a pricey cent. It can take a lot of study, try A Comprehensive Web Encyclopedia of U.S. Copper Coinage where he has it all laid out in a straightforward manner.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Google is my friend? And your not. I asked a simple question about modern day pennies not rare ones. Disregard this thread is my best advise given to myself. Thanks to the couple that were courteous with thier response.

Tough crowd.

"Guys, I want to get rich quick. Tell me what to do, so I can benefit from all your knowledge without doing research myself."

When I don't know something, I do research myself and then follow up with more specific questions.

"What valuable coins am I looking for" could be:

"Is there a good website with key dates or errors? I know pennies switched from copper to clad in 1982, should I focus on 1981 only, or are 1982s also copper?"

It shows you did some work, and it gives more specific questions to answer.

OP
OP
J

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
WELL Glen I ain't as smart as your I guess. You asked questions in your post that I didn't ask or want answers to.

I guess i don't get the attitude some of you have displayed. i wouldn't hide behind a computer and talk to someone that way. I guess I would try and be as helpful as I could. I don't want anyone secrets on finding rare coins. Uncleslick answered the only question that I had and thanks for that.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You asked for a simple answer and I gave one. What you're asking doesn't have a simple answer. The list of errors, varieties and the dates would take pages. Maybe this will help. Join a coin club. Buy a Redbook. Buy both volumes of the Cherrypicker guide. Wasn't trying to be a smart---. Your question is like asking in a museum how to paint like Rembrandt. Simple as that! Sorry you took offense.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Btw, your questions were very vague. No one was rude to you. You were the only one being rude. You asked what year was the most copper used. That is easy to look up.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WELL Glen I ain't as smart as your I guess. You asked questions in your post that I didn't ask or want answers to.

I guess i don't get the attitude some of you have displayed. i wouldn't hide behind a computer and talk to someone that way. I guess I would try and be as helpful as I could. I don't want anyone secrets on finding rare coins. Uncleslick answered the only question that I had and thanks for that.

At least you recognize your limitations, I guess.

"Would someone take the time to explain what pennies are worth looking for." Then asking about copper, followed by "And maybe some other info."

I don't think it could be more vague. Specific questions get specific answers.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Let’s see if I have this straight. You want to accumulate copper pennies. If that is correct, I, and others here can make a few suggestions, but the rest is up to you.

Time for more coffee.

OP
OP
J

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
read my first post, not looking for info on rare dated pennies but more modern ones likes the last year the most copper was used. That is pretty specific. Answer was given by uncleslick.

My apologies if anyone thought I was rude or asking for their coveted secrets. Not my intent. But this is a tough crowd.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Go over to realcent.org. Look in the section on Copper Penny Bullion Investing for a thread on hoarding standards. This may answer some of your questions.

Time for more coffee.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nobody was tough. So you're saying the only thing you wanted to know is what year they started plating cents? There aren't any "secrets". Matter of fact, go to the sticky at the top titled "beginner's guide to coin roll hunting" to find almost anything you want to know.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread