It's been a while for a GOOD dump to appear

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Picked up only 3 dime boxes on Saturday morning that was part of my $45 CWR's that I picked up ( see my earlier post of "Mercury Rising"). Upon checking the boxes, box 1 & 2 only produced one Rosie each. Opening box three, first roll 1-Rosie, second roll 1-Rosie, third roll 1-Rosie, ( and yet I was grabbing from the middle of the box ) I'm now starting to think hummmm, maybe the makings of a very good box or even a DREAM. Continued into the box, more and more Rosies plus two mercs , but gradually the thought of a dream box just vanished. Final result for the box was: 20-silvers (18-Rosies, 2-mercs). Boxes like this do happen for me once in a while, but far enough apart to forget what the rush feeling is when the numbers are higher than average. My avg per box so far this year is just a little over 1/box. How ironic, but box 2 & 3 were from the same branch and same type of packaging, go figure. Maybe only a small dump had managed to appear just in this box. I hope that some of the other same branches that I go to this week may have some of this dump spill into their boxes. The adrenaline SILVER Rush was nice to have even if it was only for a little while. Enjoy the pic of 20 in 1-BOX.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1551047741.951195.jpg

Upvote 0

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If not for a really good January, I probably would not be CRH for halves as much as I am (4-5 boxes / week). I found 265 silvers which mostly came from a handful of really nice boxes, the best of which held 75, 71, 52, 17, 12, & 9. February is another story with a huge drop off, 44 silvers found along with 11 skunk boxes. CRWs, coin counting machine bags, and loose halves have been hard to find and what few I did held only a handful of silvers. I think the tellers in my area have gotten wise to silver halves. I'll keep doing about 4 boxes / week as long as my dump bank continues to let me fill up their coin counting machine bags,ha ha. Being retired for a year now, coin collecting and researching our family tree have been my two main hobbies. But, I'm getting tired of skunk boxes. And most of my albums of other denominations are now full so there is less incentive to search for those. Luckily, I have a soon to be new hobby - learning to play the banjo! After much research and contemplation (I don't have a musical background, lol), I ordered a banjo which will arrive next Tuesday. I'll keep CRH, but I need something else more rewarding to do. Heck, I would even start metal detecting again if it would ever rain around here and soften up the soil.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same story here Tx, except for the rain. Our heavy rains and flooding continue. Last year was by far the most rain on record for us since records were started in 1880. It rains here so often that it makes metal detecting miserable (freezing rain now) and the flooding has changed my fossil hunting in the Chesapeake Bay along the base of Calvert Cliffs - something I expected to be doing more since I retired a year and a half ago. The tops of the cliffs have have fallen - which does two things: it covers the fossil rich layer, and brings large trees down that I have to climb over or crawl under or swim around. So my fossil hunting is not nearly as good as it used to be and I'm not getting the exercise walking the beaches that I expected to get. In practice, I go now during blowout tides when strong winds from the W-NW blow out the water and then I can walk around the fallen trees. So that leaves CRH. We had a good January too - although it was really 2 boxes - my wife got one with 72 silver halves while I got one with 27 (but more 90%). Despite the skunks, I keep doing it because I have a goal to find a 1970 and a commemorative in a roll.

How can we send some of this rain to you? It would be nice to pass along half of the next storm that dumps over 10" in a few hours.

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Meg - It must be so cool to live along a coastline! I am way too far inland and unfortunately in West a Texas there aren’t very many lakes let alone one with a beach for metal detecting. Yeah, a bit envious about your rain too, but I guess too much of a good thing is bad. My Mom lives in Houston and she has offered to send some of her rain our way as well. They have been getting soaked for weeks and weeks! We haven’t had a drop of rain in two months which is not good for our quail hatch coming up in late spring. Metal detecting here without the benefit of a rain a day or two before just about requires a pickaxe, ha ha. Did you see the movie “The Meg” and did you like it? I haven’t seen it yet.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tx - yes, I saw 'The Meg" just a couple of weeks ago. I missed it when it was in the theaters. It was out only for a couple of weeks and we were pre-occupied with the birth of our first grandson at the time. I got a free code for redbox for my birthday and picked it up. It was ok, but ripped off Jaws somewhat and the characters weren't as interesting as those in Jaws (I was used in a couple of nature documentaries years ago because I was a marine biologist who had some scruffy bearded resemblance to the character played by Richard Dreyfus, so I "looked" the part more than some of my equally qualified biologist colleagues). The character played by Richard Dreyfus was a composite of a couple of actual shark biologists - one of whom was one of my favorite professors in college. Back to "The Meg" - it is worth seeing just to see the size of the animal. But the story about the shark breaking through a sort of thermocline from deep water to the surface to create havoc, is as ridiculous as the personal targeting of humans in the original Jaws. But to shark folks, it is certainly worth watching.

It is pretty cool to pick up a fossil shark tooth that is from an animal about the size of a school bus.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TX, Almost forgot - hope the locals treasure their quail. We used to have them and they are now all gone. I do miss them. All the rainfall here reduces the salinity and affects a lot of the life in the estuary. I always have oysters on my birthday but this was the first year I didn't - because the taste is not as good when the salinity is gone. I finally broke down and bought a pint of shucked oysters on last week's dump run and they were just ok, although my wife had some distress from possibly a bad one.

Did you know that quail like to gobble down ticks?

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Meg - Thanks for the movie review and backdrop to your profession, very interesting! I see now how you and the Mrs. got interested in hunting for Megalodon teeth. Sorry to hear your quail are gone. The Bobwhite quail here in Texas has experienced a similar fate in the eastern part of the state. Fortunately, the blue quail in West Texas are alot tougher and can survive in our semi arid environment. I know that quail are opportunists and will eat insects. I have found all kinds of bugs in their craws (grasshoppers, ants, beetles) but have never seen a tick! We don't really have ticks out here like we did when I lived in East Texas (Houston area). I would spend and hour pulling ticks off my Brittany after every trip to the Piney Woods where we would hunt for Woodcock and the occasional Bobwhite. I hope you dry out soon up there!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread