It's been a while for a GOOD dump to appear

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Picked up only 3 dime boxes on Saturday morning that was part of my $45 CWR's that I picked up ( see my earlier post of "Mercury Rising"). Upon checking the boxes, box 1 & 2 only produced one Rosie each. Opening box three, first roll 1-Rosie, second roll 1-Rosie, third roll 1-Rosie, ( and yet I was grabbing from the middle of the box ) I'm now starting to think hummmm, maybe the makings of a very good box or even a DREAM. Continued into the box, more and more Rosies plus two mercs , but gradually the thought of a dream box just vanished. Final result for the box was: 20-silvers (18-Rosies, 2-mercs). Boxes like this do happen for me once in a while, but far enough apart to forget what the rush feeling is when the numbers are higher than average. My avg per box so far this year is just a little over 1/box. How ironic, but box 2 & 3 were from the same branch and same type of packaging, go figure. Maybe only a small dump had managed to appear just in this box. I hope that some of the other same branches that I go to this week may have some of this dump spill into their boxes. The adrenaline SILVER Rush was nice to have even if it was only for a little while. Enjoy the pic of 20 in 1-BOX.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1551047741.951195.jpg

Upvote 0

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good score, I only CRH occasionally but I think that's a pretty good number, congratulations

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV (hobby lobby 40% off ;-) )
Primary Interest:
Other
Keep it up man! Posts like this make me want to hunt for another Merc, but thinking I'll stick to cents and nickels instead...

Uncleslick18

Oct 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice. I’m basically going to quit hunting halves and am seriously considering doing dimes instead, this leans me a little more towards dimes

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice. I’m basically going to quit hunting halves and am seriously considering doing dimes instead, this leans me a little more towards dimes

After 8 consecutive boxes of halves - every coin an unc 94-P, I thought the same thing. So I tried 2 boxes of dimes - both skunks, so I'm back to halves, at least for now. The halves are still in a run of unc 94-Ps, but at least they are easier for big fingers to handle without dropping all over the place like those dimes... Never thought I'd be looking forward to finding a clad '71 or '76 half.

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

Like I said, big numbers like this come far and In between. My last big dime qty was 11-2-2018 with 18 silvers (18 Rosies, 2-mercs). I don't want to give the impression that it's all glory, but a lot of skunks lately, and my avg/box last year was just under 1.5/box.
Funny that you say that you're thinking of switching to dimes, I'm just the reverse, and have been thinking of jumping into halves. I'm probably going to stick to dimes however, since it is very DIFFICULT to dump halves in my area. My banks have no problem ordering them for me, it's the DUMP problem.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great score, congrats! :icon_thumleft:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like I said, big numbers like this come far and In between. My last big dime qty was 11-2-2018 with 18 silvers (18 Rosies, 2-mercs). I don't want to give the impression that it's all glory, but a lot of skunks lately, and my avg/box last year was just under 1.5/box.
Funny that you say that you're thinking of switching to dimes, I'm just the reverse, and have been thinking of jumping into halves. I'm probably going to stick to dimes however, since it is very DIFFICULT to dump halves in my area. My banks have no problem ordering them for me, it's the DUMP problem.

I belong to two credit unions with coin machines and use 3 to 4 branches of each regularly. The machines only hold one internal bag of halves, so to minimize filling a bag every visit, I try to visit several branches on my dump runs. But this isn't very cost effective when it means driving my truck 80 to 90 miles to dump $1500 of halves and discouraging when they are all unc 94P. The machines I use all have at least two bags devoted to the smaller denominations. I have one pick-up branch at the end of the dump route - just requires a little planning.

Uncleslick18

Oct 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
My main concern is dumping halves, which is a giant pain. The last two times I have dumped halves they have jammed the coin counter I was using. I’m sick of going to dump two boxes of halves, waiting an hour because the machine blows up, and finding nothing in either box. Just really frustrating. I’ve done probably 16 boxes of halves since November and found maybe 10 40% coins...

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My main concern is dumping halves, which is a giant pain. The last two times I have dumped halves they have jammed the coin counter I was using. I’m sick of going to dump two boxes of halves, waiting an hour because the machine blows up, and finding nothing in either box. Just really frustrating. I’ve done probably 16 boxes of halves since November and found maybe 10 40% coins...

I agree that dumping is the major issue with CRH. I had the same experience with jams in a very sensitive machine in which coins are dumped onto a belt that carries them inside to the spinning wheel. The belt is easily overloaded while the display reads "continue to add coins" - which is exactly wrong. The tiny motor driving the belt is easily overcome by the weight and that requires the tellers to call for service. I have learned to add coins very slowly to this model machine but while waiting for repairs, the coins can back up. So i joined another credit union and now split up my dumps among 7 or 8 branches. It takes a bit of planning and ignoring all the miles driven to these branches. It is much more frustrating during skunk streaks - like my current 15 consecutive boxes of unc 94-P halves.

Uncleslick18

Oct 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
That’s a huge pain. All the extra driving. Dumping anything but halves is a breeze up my way. The halves are just a little too big for the machine. Sometimes it’s really not bad, but the last two dumps have just been a joke.

I pick up two more boxes tomorrow. Hope I actually find something this week

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s a huge pain. All the extra driving. Dumping anything but halves is a breeze up my way. The halves are just a little too big for the machine. Sometimes it’s really not bad, but the last two dumps have just been a joke.

I pick up two more boxes tomorrow. Hope I actually find something this week

Good luck! I pick up 2 more also late this afternoon too. I'm hoping to see something dated other than 1994!

I try to combine other things on these dump drives. Usually, its a stop at the dump at the very least, but last week, it included a stop for shucked oysters and a stop at the only gas station that sells ethanol-free gas in my part of the state. I love my Stihl chainsaws and won't use the lousy ethanol fuel in them or any other small engines. I try to plan things around these long dump drives. The next dump tour will include a stop for new shoes, having spilled old motor oil on my shoes when changing my truck's oil on saturday.

Uncleslick18

Oct 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Hah. Nice. I really hate to not attempt to find silver anymore, but when you look at it as finding 2-3 40% coins in a $1000 pickup, you’re looking at like $7.50 in melt value on 2 boxes. I could certainly focus that $1000 on cents and derive more melt value than $7.50. I’m not saying I’m hunting silver purely for monetary gain, but if you look at it like that it begs the question if you are wasting your time or not...

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hah. Nice. I really hate to not attempt to find silver anymore, but when you look at it as finding 2-3 40% coins in a $1000 pickup, you’re looking at like $7.50 in melt value on 2 boxes. I could certainly focus that $1000 on cents and derive more melt value than $7.50. I’m not saying I’m hunting silver purely for monetary gain, but if you look at it like that it begs the question if you are wasting your time or not...

I can search $1000 in halves in 20 minutes. $1000 in pennies is 40 boxes. That would take an entire work week to search. And dumping 40 boxes of pennies vs 2 boxes of halves? From a time standpoint, there’s no comparison which is a bigger waste of time.

Uncleslick18

Oct 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
The halves. Rydale makes pretty quick work of the sorting. Again, most of the half boxes I get are skunks. Just found out I’m getting 4 this week. Hoping my luck turns around

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
The halves. Rydale makes pretty quick work of the sorting. Again, most of the half boxes I get are skunks. Just found out I’m getting 4 this week. Hoping my luck turns around

But, look at the purchase price of a Rydale $250-350. It would take a LOT OF COPPER PENNIES to defray the cost of the unit.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm looking forward to the "old days" of finding 2-3 40% coins per $1000. I picked up 2 boxes this afternoon and they were both skunks - but happy they were normal skunks and not 2000 1994-P coins. Getting 2 more boxes from a distant branch tomorrow. Good luck with your boxes.

Uncleslick18

Oct 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Dozer- understood, mine was bought and cost was recouped years ago.

Don- just finished mine, found 1 1969

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just finished 2 more boxes of halves - both skunks. I think that is 19 in a row now...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread