Dont buy coin wrappers! - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Dont buy coin wrappers!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Sep 2013
    Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
    9774 times
    I had no idea that banks would be so rude.
    How can they refuse to take your currency?
    Like I said, I don't use banks for CRH. All of my rolls come from gas stations and 7/11 and small businesses.
    I ask for their hand rolled coins. They love getting rid of the heavy coins.
    In the course of my day, I drive past at least ten different banks. Stop in and ask. I've not been told no for wrappers.
    Then again, I don't buy boxes and the coins left over, the misses and I take a trip with every year.
    To each their own I guess.
    Name:  dead-horse.gif
Views: 119
Size:  129.0 KB

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    32105 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    They have been doing that for 40 years
    BC1969 likes this.

Approved TreasureNet Stickers

.:: $3.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::. I have 324 left PM me if you would like to buy any Tommy

(Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

us
    Sep 2013
    9774 times
    Quote Originally Posted by A2coins View Post
    They have been doing that for 40 years
    I didn't know it until recently. I'd been buying wrappers for years.
    A2coins likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    32105 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    I remember even as a kid but your right most people dont know this good point Tommy

Approved TreasureNet Stickers

.:: $3.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::. I have 324 left PM me if you would like to buy any Tommy

(Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

us
    Mr.

Jan 2017
    Taxechusetts (It sucks)
    The only two certainties in life are death and taxes.
    61 times
    Not Coin Roll Hunting
    Buying wrappers is for people who don't understand the industry. Re-crimp the bank wrappers and then the bank sends them directly back to the distributer. If you ever get a 100% skunk box, there's a chance it's one of mine.

Charter Member
    us
    WP

Mar 2014
    Dallas,GA
    CZ6A
    6125 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ArkieBassMan View Post
    Banks are not coin stores put there to service the public, contrary to popular belief. They are for-profit businesses. I have once been told by a bank that I could no longer bring in any coins, as have MANY other CRHers over the ~10 years that I have been posting on this forum. I've had banks flat out refuse to sell me coins as well. One branch of a certain bank (at which I had an account), the head teller would not sell me even a single roll of cents stating, "those were for customers."

Banks do NOT have to sell you coins or buy your rolls. Or, they can absolutely charge you a fee for either or both. All I was trying to say is that when I found a bank that was willing to do either for me, I was very appreciative and personally would not ask for "extras" on top of services they were already providing me for free, even though it was not free to them.
    Your right throughout the thread. When I first started CRH you could walk into almost any bank and ask for boxes, they had no problem taking them back...As time went on and more people doing it that changed. It's not the Banks job to put up with our hobby. On the flip side. when I was going through a lot of boxes I was straight forward with the CU in what I was doing and they had no problem giving me the paper rollers. we also ran a small coin shop for a short time and banked with them. So they knew they were supplying the wrappers for our coin business and our hobby of searching rolls. I think it all depends on situation. Open and honest communication with them goes a long way too. I wouldn't feel bad asking at a place where I'm a member and using all the services like loans, insurance,business account,checking, savings etc.. Nothing wrong with it. But to expect it or demand it is a whole different thing.
    Last edited by Nitric; Mar 04, 2019 at 07:30 AM.
    ArkieBassMan likes this.

us
    Jan 2011
    734 times
    Up here in the north banks appreciate our business and are very customer oriented. What some posters don't realized as they make a lot of money on your money with very little return to you. Without out your business the bank would fold that is of course you have accounts in banks that you are dealing with. If you don't have accounts and are just trying to use the business then I can see them telling you to get lost. And then is looks as though some have abused the system to the point that you are not welcome and I can understand the banks stance also.

It doesn't hurt to be nice when you go into your bank.
    BC1969 likes this.

us
    Dec 2006
    Very Northern Left Coast
    XLT & Bigfoot
    2007 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Stewart View Post
    Do you know how much money they make off your money and give you pennies (no pun intended) in return. My bank is glad to hand me coin wrappers.
    You are so right. I just got a letter from one of my banks. They just paid me 25 cents in interest. And that account has a lot of $
    BC1969 and port ewen ace like this.
    When I did yard sales I was dollardan. No yard sales where I am now.

us
    Sep 2013
    9774 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberdan View Post
    You are so right. I just got a letter from one of my banks. They just paid me 25 cents in interest. And that account has a lot of $
    Gee thanks, maybe you can get a ketchup packet..

Charter Member
    us
    Jun 2013
    East Tennessee
    6704 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BC1969 View Post
    I'm sure most of you who CRH already know this tip, but if you don't.
    You don't have to buy coin wrappers.
    Your local banks will give you wrappers for FREE!
    Just ask.
    Attachment 1685882
    Yep and some Health Departments hand out condoms for free! They are better for protection of your' coins and hey, they even lubricate them. Just make sure you get the appropriate sizes for the coins you need to roll and protect.
    BC1969 and PetesPockets55 like this.

us
    Sep 2013
    9774 times
    Could be worse.. We could be like Vancouver.. Their big brother set up government funded doping centers. They even provide nurses who supply the junkies with free needles.
    Free my butt.
    huntsman53 likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links