Don't buy coin wrappers!

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm sure most of you who CRH already know this tip, but if you don't.
You don't have to buy coin wrappers.
Your local banks will give you wrappers for FREE!
Just ask.
20190301_084710.jpg

Upvote 0

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Didn't know that thanks. I ask the bank tellers if today is free samples day and they always say NO.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't been to a bank in the last 10 years that will even accept them.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup. I keep one account with a bank that does not have a coin machine and will not order boxes - but does take rolled halves (and gives the wrappers) just as insurance in case the coin machines at my two credit unions are both down. Banks are offering nice bonuses to open new accounts - anywhere from $100 to 500 depending on the amount of deposit or direct deposit commitment.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For CRH purposes, I personally feel its wrong to ask for free wrappers ON TOP of the bank already accepting my dumped coins for free or ordering boxes for me for free. If they offer them to me willingly, then maybe (still probably wouldn't), but I'd certainly never ask. To me, thats like often giving someone a free meal out of kindness, and then the receiver of the free meal asking if he can have 3 more meals to go. It just seems...rude. Maybe its just me.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For CRH purposes, I personally feel its wrong to ask for free wrappers ON TOP of the bank already accepting my dumped coins for free or ordering boxes for me for free. If they offer them to me willingly, then maybe (still probably wouldn't), but I'd certainly never ask. To me, thats like often giving someone a free meal out of kindness, and then the receiver of the free meal asking if he can have 3 more meals to go. It just seems...rude. Maybe its just me.

I don't ask for the wrappers but they are offered to me and when they are offered, I do take them. From the bank's perspective, some of those wrapped rolls will become deposits and giving out a few cheap paper rolls is a cost-effective method to attract more deposits. And it is far cheaper than maintaining a coin machine in the lobby.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to Just Pull up to the Drive Threw Window and ask for some paper Roles.

Unless I Stated a Type, They would ask what type of Course .

I Never understood Why someone would buy them

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always ask if they have any money on sale........ at buy one --- get one free.

and always ask to get cash back in Hundreds.... for my small dumps of under $100--- gots ta keep 'em off guard and smilin':laughing9::laughing7:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always ask if they have any money on sale........ at buy one --- get one free.

and always ask to get cash back in Hundreds.... for my small dumps of under $100--- gots ta keep 'em off guard and smilin':laughing9::laughing7:

Ya gotta watch Some Banks have no sense of Humor.

Not only was a Good Friend of Mine Let go from a Bank Teller Job,
Because she was too nice to Customers.

I've read already where someone was arrested
for trying to Cash a Million Dollar Bill.

"Got Change of a Million ?" 8-)

000index.jpg

I don't know the Outcome,
I would think if the Joker
wasn't a Moron Who paid a Fine, instead of fighting.
Somewhere , Someone had a sense of Humor
and Dropped the Charges but :dontknow:

Last edited:

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
arkiebassman: I don't understand your complaint. It's a bank and they are in the business to provide money and accept money. Do you know how much money they make off your money and give you pennies (no pun intended) in return. My bank is glad to hand me coin wrappers.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Two of my branches look forward to my bringing in my dime boxes, sometimes twice a week.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
arkiebassman: I don't understand your complaint. It's a bank and they are in the business to provide money and accept money. Do you know how much money they make off your money and give you pennies (no pun intended) in return. My bank is glad to hand me coin wrappers.

There is no complaint. I'm just stating that I feel that any bank that is already willing to eat the expense of either ordering boxes of coins for me at no charge and/or accepting my dumped coins for free shouldn't also have to eat the expense of providing me with coin roll hunting supplies. That's my opinion. Feel free to disagree.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm with ABM all the way on this one. It is generous of banks to tolerate our hobby. Every reason that we give them to regret that generosity is another straw towards breaking the camel's back.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have asked my two pickup banks where I have standing orders if they have additional costs to order boxes for me. Both said they order for customers as part of their weekly coin order and there is no extra cost for them. When I checked banks, some told me they would not order boxes of halves - but not because they incurred extra costs. They had experienced people not picking up the boxes and changed their policies so they would not get "stuck" with a denomination they could not use - like halves in their vaults.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with ABM all the way on this one. It is generous of banks to tolerate our hobby. Every reason that we give them to regret that generosity is another straw towards breaking the camel's back.

I think we should give them reason to tolerate us and reward them with increased business. For example, I occasionally deposit the coins I dump in the coin machine. And I open cd's and tell them it is because they are patient with ordering boxes for me or keeping coin machines in the lobby. My dividend stocks pay higher dividends than my bank cd's and are not taxed as regular income like the cd's - but I buy the cd's specifically to thank the bank.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think we should give them reason to tolerate us and reward them with increased business. For example, I occasionally deposit the coins I dump in the coin machine. And I open cd's and tell them it is because they are patient with ordering boxes for me or keeping coin machines in the lobby. My dividend stocks pay higher dividends than my bank cd's and are not taxed as regular income like the cd's - but I buy the cd's specifically to thank the bank.

I absolutely agree with all of this. Back when I was searching regularly, I moved CDs to banks that tolerated my CRH activities.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have asked my two pickup banks where I have standing orders if they have additional costs to order boxes for me. Both said they order for customers as part of their weekly coin order and there is no extra cost for them. When I checked banks, some told me they would not order boxes of halves - but not because they incurred extra costs. They had experienced people not picking up the boxes and changed their policies so they would not get "stuck" with a denomination they could not use - like halves in their vaults.

There is extra expense involved, even if its just employee hours dealing with your CRH activities.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I keep all my wrappers from CWR’s, store them in boxes of each denomination, and use them when I can’t use the machine or bag deposit.

Added Bonus: when I get a full box of used wrappers (about 500 or so), I can sell them at my local coin club for a few bucks.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is encouraging that others feel free to disagree and that they won't do what they can easily "get away with". While the bank establishes its policies, and it is perfectly legal to establish a credit union account with an initial $25 deposit that allows unlimited access to the coin machine, I personally would feel guilty doing that.

One of my pickup banks is held through a holding company and its stock pays a 3% dividend. So far, I have only bought cd's from that bank and they pay much less. (I'm more offended that the IRS taxes cd interest at my top ordinary income tax rate while my qualifying dividend tax rate is 0%.) But I'm not sure if buying stock in the bank, especially in its holding company, is as much a reward to them as buying a cd. I do point out that I do extra business with them as a way to say "thank you" for helping with a silly hobby.

Last edited:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is extra expense involved, even if its just employee hours dealing with your CRH activities.

This is why i offer to meet the Brinks truck in the parking lot and help unload my boxes right into my pickup truck...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread