Finally had a DECENT week

Uncleslick18

Oct 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I normally do 2 boxes of halves, a couple of weeks a month. I have two different banks that will order boxes for me but I’ve been underwhelmed thus far with my results. Started back in November at this pace, I’ve found maybe 12-14 40%ers in total since then.

I’ve had a couple 3- 40%er weeks, this week has been my best so far, 3-40s and 1-1964

Still not sure whether I’m going to stop hunting halves or not, probably not because I’m like a junkie with them, but it is awfully frustrating getting skunked..

Anyhow, good luck this week everyone!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1551473909.274891.jpg

Upvote 0

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your results are awfully similar to mine. I searched 2-4 boxes of halves weekly for a little over 2 years. 75%+ of my boxes were total skunks. Over 90% of the boxes that contained silver held a lone 40%er. But, I averaged a bit over 1 silver per box over the 300+ boxes as a few times I pulled over 10 silvers from a box, the most being 38 40%ers. That's how it is with halves for most of us. Pretty slim pickin's with the very rare good box.

In the end, it wasn't worth it to me with the hassle of dumping plus the plummeting silver prices. Its cheaper to just have the silver shipped to my door, but certainly not as fun.

OP
OP
U

Uncleslick18

Oct 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
That’s the only reason I still do it. I used to be a big sports card collector. It’s like finding something good in a pack of cards, except you get your money back for the crap you don’t want! Haha. Anyway, it’s exciting finding silver in rolls, that’s what keeps me ordering them. Good luck to you Arkie

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s the only reason I still do it. I used to be a big sports card collector. It’s like finding something good in a pack of cards, except you get your money back for the crap you don’t want! Haha. Anyway, it’s exciting finding silver in rolls, that’s what keeps me ordering them. Good luck to you Arkie

I too was a big baseball card collector in the early 1980's, but was not smart enough to see the big crash in the market coming. I thought I would get a nice little retirement bonus off my collection that I now would have some difficulty giving away. As a kid it was very difficult to not sell for the thousands of dollars my collection would have brought in the mid-to-late 1980's. That was my first lesson in that the value of collectibles does not necessarily continue to go up over time. You would have thought I would have taken that knowledge and sold all of my silver when it got into the high $40's.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too was a big baseball card collector in the early 1980's, but was not smart enough to see the big crash in the market coming. I thought I would get a nice little retirement bonus off my collection that I now would have some difficulty giving away. As a kid it was very difficult to not sell for the thousands of dollars my collection would have brought in the mid-to-late 1980's. That was my first lesson in that the value of collectibles does not necessarily continue to go up over time. You would have thought I would have taken that knowledge and sold all of my silver when it got into the high $40's.

There is some research into the psychology of investment decisions that have shown how people almost never buy in big corrections or sell after big gains. When my son asked my opinion about a mutual fund he was buying, my response was "great fund, but the only reason to buy now at its peak is if you will buy more in the next correction". It dropped significantly in December and it was (to me) an obvious time to load up, but normal behavior is to think every dropping asset will continue to fall and a rising one will continue to rise.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job thats a good haul

OP
OP
U

Uncleslick18

Oct 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Arkie - I was just complaining to the wife this weekend that I wish I had been smart enough 10-15 years ago to spend the money I spent on sports cards on CRH instead

Mega- I remember the time that I bought the most silver was when it was in the high 30’s - my timing always sucks

A2- thanks. Got two more boxes for Friday, hopefully I’ll find some
More

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions