Marking rolls of coins to alert potential holders the rolls are silver free?

Louie D

Nov 16, 2018
The Motor City
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there any accepted practice for identifying rolls of coins you've rolled yourself as already being worked over for silvers? Some discreet marking CRH hunters would recognize at a glance?

I'm busy working to liquidate my 5 gallon water bottle coin jar, and will probably have $1500 in quarters alone when all is said and done. My bank(s) in the area no longer have coin sorting/counting machines and will no longer accept bags of coins from a non-business account, so I'm forced to hand roll my stash. At least they gave me some free coin wrappers.

The forthcoming nickel/dime/quarter rolls may contain some rare modern coins, but no silver, that's for sure.

TIA for any input.

Upvote 0

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was the message correct?

I get the same square boxes, but my skunks, 19 in a row now, are not advertised.

The message was correct, but like I mentioned the box contained customer wrapped rolls, not mint wrapped. There was about $380 if I remember correctly. In my area I've never seen square boxes like this, at it for about 6 years now.

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
First if they are CWR then unless they opened each one and searched it how do they know there are no silver? And that is time consuming for a business to do that.

I get these boxes every so often, around here they come from Guarda and Brinks, Loomis has the rectangular boxes with yellow printing

OP
OP
Louie D

Louie D

Nov 16, 2018
The Motor City
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you live near Detroit. TCF Bank has coin counting machines. This is the only bank I have joined because of Coin Roll Hunting. Also some credit unions have coin counting machines.

Keep on Searching
Dad and Tanner

Thanks for the info, I live a block away from a TCF bank.

Unfortunately, I'm not interested in opening a new bank account for a one time event so I'm stuck going the hand rolled route. On the good side, so far I've discovered a silver nickel, dime and quarter during the sort phase.

Death&Taxes

Jan 2, 2017
Taxechusetts (It sucks)
Detector(s) used
The only two certainties in life are death and taxes.
Primary Interest:
Other
Is there any accepted practice for identifying rolls of coins you've rolled yourself as already being worked over for silvers? Some discreet marking CRH hunters would recognize at a glance?

I'm busy working to liquidate my 5 gallon water bottle coin jar, and will probably have $1500 in quarters alone when all is said and done. My bank(s) in the area no longer have coin sorting/counting machines and will no longer accept bags of coins from a non-business account, so I'm forced to hand roll my stash. At least they gave me some free coin wrappers.

The forthcoming nickel/dime/quarter rolls may contain some rare modern coins, but no silver, that's for sure.

TIA for any input.

Why are you letting the next hunter take your rare modern coins?

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I’m not too fond of NIFC halves, scuffed IH’s, dateless buffalos, 1938 and newer Jefferson nickels, etc, and lately even wheaties. So, I dump them by the hundreds hoping to spur new collectors. That saying - one man’s trash...

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the info, I live a block away from a TCF bank.

Unfortunately, I'm not interested in opening a new bank account for a one time event so I'm stuck going the hand rolled route. On the good side, so far I've discovered a silver nickel, dime and quarter during the sort phase.

I opened 6 accounts at 6 different banks, each only required $10 to have no fee checking

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Ben, how easy is it to juggle six different checking accounts and keep them active?

Not hard at all! you only have to deposit $1 once a year to keep them active, you can then withdraw it if you want. One bank did something interesting, I opened two accounts and put $10 in each then I put an extra $1 in and set up an automatic transfer from one to the other and then back the next day so once a month it puts a dollar in each account and keeps them active without me doing anything. I have all the accounts written down so I know which is which. I also have a card with the numbers in my wallet, sonce there is only $10 in each and no overdraft protection I doni't care if someone drains it, the banks require the account number when using the coin counter

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need the money.

I'm gonna look for Wisconsin quarters and the potential leaf varieties, any thing else I can look for in quarters?

CUDS abound on State Qtrs., '92 to '98 Eagles have vast array of obv/rev die cracks, lots of greasers on eagles & States, O/C's are rare but have value. never found a Wi. leaf ----yet :BangHead:

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang Port Ewen Ace! I'd sell ALL my 40% for that price. Feebay?

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got a box where 80% of the individual coins were marked with a sharpie. It tells me I am downstream from an idiot. What a waste of time to mark each coin lol. I am assuming they looked for errors etc if they have that much free time. It does make it mildly interesting to see how they'll disperse. I opened a few rolls and dumped the box without searching it once I saw the pattern.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got a box where 80% of the individual coins were marked with a sharpie. It tells me I am downstream from an idiot. What a waste of time to mark each coin lol. I am assuming they looked for errors etc if they have that much free time. It does make it mildly interesting to see how they'll disperse. I opened a few rolls and dumped the box without searching it once I saw the pattern.

I wonder how far our coins go. My wife had a skunk box with over 70% marked with a sharpie at the end of December. Of course I dumped them without removing the marks & wonder if you might have gotten them now.

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I wonder how far our coins go. My wife had a skunk box with over 70% marked with a sharpie at the end of December. Of course I dumped them without removing the marks & wonder if you might have gotten them now.

I do the "Where's George" marking dollar bills and people downstream enter them in the computer and you can see where they went and how it took to get there. I have had several go from Boston to California and others to Florida, some get entered a year or more after I marked them.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had several go from Boston to California and others to Florida, some get entered a year or more after I marked them.

That makes sense, I am in California. So those people going from Boston to CA of FL are called snowbirds. See it every winter,they bring their $$ with them. Good for our local economy, I live in a tiny tourist town.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the past a few times I would put an old year (like 1964 or 1950) on the wrapper or the word silver. We all get CWR in old dingy wrappers, they are what I would use. Didn’t do it a lot, just enough to give another Hunter a short thrill when the teller hands him the roll.

OK, now you all don’t jump on me for being mean.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only reason to mark a wrapper is so you don't buy them again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread