Marking rolls of coins to alert potential holders the rolls are silver free?

Louie D

Nov 16, 2018
The Motor City
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there any accepted practice for identifying rolls of coins you've rolled yourself as already being worked over for silvers? Some discreet marking CRH hunters would recognize at a glance?

I'm busy working to liquidate my 5 gallon water bottle coin jar, and will probably have $1500 in quarters alone when all is said and done. My bank(s) in the area no longer have coin sorting/counting machines and will no longer accept bags of coins from a non-business account, so I'm forced to hand roll my stash. At least they gave me some free coin wrappers.

The forthcoming nickel/dime/quarter rolls may contain some rare modern coins, but no silver, that's for sure.

TIA for any input.

Upvote 0

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even if the rolls were marked, any CRHer worth his salt will still search them.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No CRHer here would believe a claim of "no silver in those rolls". Too many stories that have shown otherwise. But thanks for thinking about us!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They would still be searched, even for errors.

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I mark my half dollar rolls with a big black Sharpie stripe. This mostly to ward off the remote chance of buying back my own searched rolls at the one bank that requires coins to be rolled. I have on occasion dumped at this bank in one town, and bought rolls at this bank in a different branch in a different town. I once had to turn down a “box from the Fed” (LOL) at a branch in a town 45 miles away which were actually my own rewrapped & marked rolls I dumped from my home town. I’ve gone so far as to turn down CWRs that were re-used MWR wrappers. So, I think it depends on the denomination. I agree with the previous responders that with nickels/dimes/quarters most CRHers will search the rolls no matter how you mark them. For me, half dollar rolls are a different story.

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I would still search the half dollar rolls, the person searching may not have known about 40%!

I had a teller tell me they didn't have any silver halves when they handed me 3 40% halves

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Johnny5

Feb 19, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelabs CTX 3030, Excalibur and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just searched a box of halves and 75% of them had a marked line from one end to the other end of the coin. What a shame to ruin all those coins as someone might need them to complete their set. Needless to say the box was a skunk.

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone seen this before? I got it at a bank, but filled with cwr halves, not sure if it was placed there by the coin service company or by the hunter....

Attachments

• 1551554376564.jpg
    1551554376564.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 71
  • 1551554395691.jpg
    1551554395691.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 64

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was the message correct?

I get the same square boxes, but my skunks, 19 in a row now, are not advertised.

scottw

Jul 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and that s why I have 500 40's--- just sold a roll for $72:laughing9:

Why would you not sell all 500 at this price???
I have 500 I would let you have at 60$ per roll, which would be profitable for you!!!

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Anyone seen this before? I got it at a bank, but filled with cwr halves, not sure if it was placed there by the coin service company or by the hunter....

I have gotten that before and found silver in them. It is put on by the courier/sorting company. They try to get you to stop forcing them to work by doing their job to deliver them

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would you not sell all 500 at this price???
I have 500 I would let you have at 60$ per roll, which would be profitable for you!!!

I sell solid rolls of all a single year from '66 to '69. no '70's found, only have 6 '65's after selling 1 roll of those for $72. the roll of '64's needs a home but they aint's gonna gets it furr no stinkin' "melt" or "scrap" price. miss the days when I could sell a Forty % for $5 :BangHead:--- that would fetch $100 per roll--- minus the 9% fee

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Geez, you are all too honest. I would mark the rolls. "silver, '64 and earlier, etc." If it slows down or discourages another hunter, then mission accomplished.

gordon and tanner

Dec 10, 2009
South East, MI
Detector(s) used
my eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
My bank(s) in the area no longer have coin sorting/counting machines
TIA for any input.
Looks like you live near Detroit. TCF Bank has coin counting machines. This is the only bank I have joined because of Coin Roll Hunting. Also some credit unions have coin counting machines.

Keep on Searching
Dad and Tanner

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread