bertmaster2000

Dec 19, 2013
Northern US
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think some may find this interesting.

No banks in my area have coin counting machines. The only credit union chain in my area with coin counting machines charges a fee. The counting machines in the credit unions are emptied every three weeks by the local coin courier company. The tellers have no access to the inside of the machines. There are no bags within the machines. Instead there is one plastic bin all the counted coins fall into. The courier then transports the plastic bin to their facility where the coins are machine-sorted. The sorted coins are sent through a coin rolling machine, rolls are packaged in plastic bags, the bags are tied shut with a metal tie, and are ready to be used to fill the next coin order. First in, first out.

Upvote 0

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do they move the plastic bin when it is full? Is it on a pallet? Three weeks is 18 banking days. A conservative estimate for my credit unions is 300 pounds of coins on average per day with saturdays up to 1000 pounds, so 18 days at 300 lbs would be 5400 pounds. Maybe this is a tiny credit union that does little business? Even if it was only 100 pounds per day, that's nearly a ton of coins over 18 days.

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to be collecting those lol

OP
OP
bertmaster2000

bertmaster2000

Dec 19, 2013
Northern US
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The courier driver uses a hand-driven forklift to remove the plastic bin from each machine.

There are roughly 8 branches of this cu in my town of less than half million people. I don’t believe near as much coin goes into the machines as what you experience in your area, Megaladon

Last edited:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is surprising considering your high population. But it is hard to compare areas; on a per-person basis, you may have more coin machines available and closer to population centers. One of my credit unions has branches in two counties - with a combined population under 200K. We have no towns, just place names. But we have a high number of dedicated coin machine users - which are free for account holders. During the fed furloughs in January, there were lines at the credit union coin machines and supermarket coinstars at times. In normal times, I rarely have to wait in line.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread