Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We find holed clad Kennedy halves about once every 2500-3000 coins searched. Nearly always, the holes appear to be neatly drilled at the 12 o'clock position. These are the last two holed coins I found and the first holed silver Kennedy. The 40% silver looks like it was holed with a nail or nail punch. The hole in the second half is squarish and also appears to have been made with some sort of punch. Because it was punched rather than drilled, the reverse side is deformed and protrudes. Do other CRHers find such holed coins?

IMG_0998.jpg IMG_0999.jpg

Upvote 0
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very interesting find! :icon_thumleft:

I never found a modern coin with a hole, but lots of my found coins in the 1800's had holes.

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have yet to find any holed coin in 40 plus years of detecting.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found plenty of modern holed halves % qtrs. a ritual performed by citizens of the colony of ID------- or... commonly known as idiots:BangHead:

OP
OP
Megalodon

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found plenty of modern holed halves % qtrs. a ritual performed by citizens of the colony of ID------- or... commonly known as idiots:BangHead:

LOL. Perhaps some in the colony do not have access to the community drill press and so, use nails and punches...

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Nostalgic pieces following Kennedy's death perhaps.
There were(and still are) keychains using halves. Some with half dollars mounted in a bezel , for those who could afford them. I have one an Aunt gave me long ago.
Others are simply holed halves and a split or other type jump ring installed through the hole.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup I find them. I save the 40 and 90 percent and throw the rest back.

OP
OP
Megalodon

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup I find them. I save the 40 and 90 percent and throw the rest back.

Yep - catch & release. I've thrown back about two dozen since july '18. The coins with the neatly drilled holes are accepted by the coin machines - but this square punch example is so deformed that it will need to be filed before dumping. Let me know if you get it...

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a thread a while back where someone explained how people did that with silver coins something to do with laundry? Hole or not Id take it

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've found quite a few Kennedys with holes drilled above his head and probably worn as a necklace. Only one was a silver (40%). Occasionally, I find one with a hole drilled in his head by some sicko, making it look like the head shot that killed him. Rarely, I find one that looks like it was shot with a small caliber weapon with protrusion out the other side. Probably trying to emulate the assassination to an even worse level. Never found one with a square hole.

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
We find holed clad Kennedy halves about once every 2500-3000 coins searched. Nearly always, the holes appear to be neatly drilled at the 12 o'clock position. These are the last two holed coins I found and the first holed silver Kennedy. The 40% silver looks like it was holed with a nail or nail punch. The hole in the second half is squarish and also appears to have been made with some sort of punch. Because it was punched rather than drilled, the reverse side is deformed and protrudes. Do other CRHers find such holed coins?

View attachment 1686727 View attachment 1686728

Yes.

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never put up pics of my holed coins since I thought they were ultra common. Now I see some have never found one and that's staggering.

I've found dozens over the years, ranging from 1919 to 2004, and cents thru Ike dollars. After awhile I started filling an album with holed nickels by date. Halves easily dominated in numbers, but I eventually cashed those in and kept around 30 or so examples. Some were crude, others neatly done. One nickel hole is so precise I'd swear it's struck on a foreign coin planchet. Four holes in one coin is the record, but I've seen two and three also.

Love holey coins!

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to admit I drilled a hole in one JFK half and one IKE dollar. I then put a jump ring in each and then both went on my keychain. That way when I went into banks I could pull out my keys and ask if they had any halves or big dollars and show them the coins. Some tellers still pulled out those ugly gold dollars the size of quarters. Shows they don't look or listen. I don’t do it anymore both coins somehow came off the keychain and I didn’t notice.

OP
OP
Megalodon

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never put up pics of my holed coins since I thought they were ultra common. Now I see some have never found one and that's staggering.

I've found dozens over the years, ranging from 1919 to 2004, and cents thru Ike dollars. After awhile I started filling an album with holed nickels by date. Halves easily dominated in numbers, but I eventually cashed those in and kept around 30 or so examples. Some were crude, others neatly done. One nickel hole is so precise I'd swear it's struck on a foreign coin planchet. Four holes in one coin is the record, but I've seen two and three also.

Love holey coins!

LOL. I agree. I hesitated to post the pics because they are so common. It is surprising how something becomes more worthy of posting the longer a person is stuck inside during interminable rain. My neighbors are completing an ark and starting to round up some pairs of animals...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread