Slim pickings so far this year

mrbks22

Sep 13, 2016
Texas
Detector(s) used
Shadow X2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I search bags of nickels, dimes, quarters and halves when I can get them from my bank. I also search between 6-10 boxes of halves per week. To say the finds have been few and far between this year is an understatement.

Aside from one quarter bag in January that had 10 silver Washingtons, the rest has been super slow.

My silver results through January-February over the last 3 years are:

2017 - 32 ounces (51K searched)
2018 - 36 ounces (47K searched)
2019 - 9 ounces (55K searched)

I hope you are all doing better than me!

I'll keep plugging away. I'm on my way to pick up six boxes of halves after I post this.

Happy hunting!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHUDDABOUT pennies:laughing9: they always have gobs of errors, and gluten loaded Wheat:happysmiley:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! That's a lot of boxes! I have done two with one more coming from the bank, they sort of forgot to order it.

rcs

Mar 15, 2017
Western Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still think it's all just hit or miss. I have searched six boxes per week this year except with two weeks missed and am at 17.5 oz so far which is higher than last year for me. It will pick back up! Keep chugging.

OP
OP
M

mrbks22

Sep 13, 2016
Texas
Detector(s) used
Shadow X2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do bags of pennies too...I just don't track it as well. The very first bag of coins I ever bought from this bank had exactly 500 wheaties in it. I haven't hit that many since, but a few Indians along the way.

OP
OP
M

mrbks22

Sep 13, 2016
Texas
Detector(s) used
Shadow X2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've hunted two of the 6 boxes so far. Skunk on box one and 10 40's and 1 64 in the 2nd so that's a big plus!

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've hunted two of the 6 boxes so far. Skunk on box one and 10 40's and 1 64 in the 2nd so that's a big plus!

After 21 consecutive skunk boxes of halves, I would be thrilled with that. Picking up two more boxes today so hope springs eternal. I don't even care if the skunks force me to give up - because that will get me back in the field more with a metal detector.

Uncleslick18

Oct 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice second box, send some of those up my way. My two boxes this week both were skunks

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just finished two more skunk boxes of halves - that's 23 consecutive. But I did find my first 87-D half, to go with the 87-P half found in August.

If it ever stops raining this year, I'll be out looking for silver the old-fashioned way - with a metal detector.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
After 21 consecutive skunk boxes of halves, I would be thrilled with that. Picking up two more boxes today so hope springs eternal. I don't even care if the skunks force me to give up - because that will get me back in the field more with a metal detector.

My finds lately have been similarly bad.

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This past week I searched 5 Loomis boxes. There still is silver out there, but it comes in batches:
1) 1 x 90%er
2) 9 x 90%ers & 11 x 40%ers
3) 2 x 90%ers & 4 x 40%ers (box 2 & 3 were companion boxes from the same branch)
4) 0 silver
5) 0 silver
I did find 3 more 1974-D DDO.
I will pick up 4-5 more boxes this week!

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea the dry spell has me weaned down to 1 box a week. I love it. Lees worrying about dumping coins and my mind is peaceful. I still have the starving choking feeling that I am not finding silver but that should pass lol. 1 90% , 4 40% last week. Second best box of the year.

OP
OP
M

mrbks22

Sep 13, 2016
Texas
Detector(s) used
Shadow X2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other 4 boxes from last week were skunky. Hoping for better luck with my 6 boxes tomorrow!

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sneaking out of Skunktown? After 24 consecutive skunk boxes, we (ok, my wife...) found a 1966 and 1967 half in her box. Hoping to put Skunktown in the rear-view mirror.

OP
OP
M

mrbks22

Sep 13, 2016
Texas
Detector(s) used
Shadow X2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked up my 6 boxes this morning. First box was loaded with BU 1993s, but one looked jusssst a little different than the rest.
half roll.jpg

It was the only one in the first box, but I'm happy to see it.
1964.jpg

5 boxes left to do then it's on to the 2 bags of quarters and 1 bag of dimes. Here's hoping for a shiny weekend!

Happy hunting all!

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sneaking out of Skunktown? After 24 consecutive skunk boxes, we (ok, my wife...) found a 1966 and 1967 half in her box. Hoping to put Skunktown in the rear-view mirror.
Phew! That’s some tenacity keeping the search up after 24 skunk boxes! Hope your new good luck streak continues Meg!

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Phew! That’s some tenacity keeping the search up after 24 skunk boxes! Hope your new good luck streak continues Meg!

Dumping all these skunks is taking time better spent swinging a detector - so we'll be cutting way back on the skunk box hunting. Cancelling my standing orders and will just do the occasional orders - and really just to check in with tellers and ask for loose halves. Will look forward to seeing your positive results!

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea the dry spell has me weaned down to 1 box a week. I love it. Lees worrying about dumping coins and my mind is peaceful. I still have the starving choking feeling that I am not finding silver but that should pass lol. 1 90% , 4 40% last week. Second best box of the year.

We had one good haul of two boxes this year - on jan. 12 when those two boxes gave up 99 silver halves. then something changed and we started getting solid boxes of all new rolls, short rolls, rolls with British pennies and 2-pence coppers, high percentage marked etc. It also appears that we are getting re-wrapped and taped edge hunted rolls in boxes and MWRs of coins from edge hunters - since the very few silvers other than the one big day, all have dark or coppery edges and would be missed by the edge hunters.

I'm cancelling my standing orders and will go to occasional box orders mainly just to maintain contact with and check my tellers for loose halves.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread