Hamilton Half Dollars (pics)! 18 Ounces!

CTRollHunter

Mar 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the story of my first Hamilton half dollars...

I was travelling for business and stopped at 4 banks. Not much until the last one offered me 7 rolls. 4 held nothing, but the wrappers of the other three were promising:

2019-03-07e.jpg
2019-03-07d.jpg

Hamilton halves! Well, that's news to me. I kinda figured this was some other crh's joke, so I was hoping (but not expecting much) when I spilled the rolls:

2019-03-07c.jpg
2019-03-07a.jpg
2019-03-07b.jpg

Wow! My first "Hamilton" halves! 48 ninety percent silvers total. Another 9 forty percenters. Some of the Hamiltons are BU! About 18 ounces total! The teller was so glad to get rid of the doors she let out a cheer as I left...

Upvote 0

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have gone back and asked for dime and quarter rolls who ever turned those in may have turned in more than halves Well done

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey , I wouldn't care if they were called bugs bunny halves on the wrappers , as long as what poured out was full rolls of 90% silver half dollars.

Wouldn't that be something, a full roll of the 1955 die clash (aka the "Bugs Bunny") halves!

Attachments

• 220px-1955-Franklin-Half-Dollar-Bugs-Bunny-Variety-Close-Up.jpg
    220px-1955-Franklin-Half-Dollar-Bugs-Bunny-Variety-Close-Up.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 177

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have gone back and asked for dime and quarter rolls who ever turned those in may have turned in more than halves Well done

Perhaps there were some rolls of Pierce dimes and vanBuren quarters.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah only a person able to turn silver into the bank would be level in the head enough to write Hamilton haha. Makes perfect sense now! Our future as a species is quite bleak I'm afraid.

OP
OP
C

CTRollHunter

Mar 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah only a person able to turn silver into the bank would be level in the head enough to write Hamilton haha. Makes perfect sense now! Our future as a species is quite bleak I'm afraid.

I usually feel at least a little bit bad when I make a fund like this. I imagine someone making a nice collection over years only to have the whole collection turned in at face value when they die. Somehow I feel less bad about getting this collection of "Hamilton" halves because even the original collector seemed not to know what he or she had....

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually feel at least a little bit bad when I make a fund like this. I imagine someone making a nice collection over years only to have the whole collection turned in at face value when they die. Somehow I feel less bad about getting this collection of "Hamilton" halves because even the original collector seemed not to know what he or she had....

must have been a college stoooonnt:laughing9::tard::laughing3: with a participation degree

scottw

Jul 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would go back to that bank and ask for Burr halfs.
Those should be the winners.

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And after all the jokes it turns out Hamilton was the persons last name that turned the coins in [emoji12]

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And after all the jokes it turns out Hamilton was the persons last name that turned the coins in [emoji12]

Or the name of the town where he found the silver?

OP
OP
C

CTRollHunter

Mar 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe the person got them at their Bank and paid with a Hamilton.

Actually,there was a third roll wrapper I did not photo. It said "Walking Liberty." So I think Hamilton really did mean Franklin.

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
This is one of the best silver finds I have seen on here in a while. Congrats!!!

OP
OP
C

CTRollHunter

Mar 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you!

This is one of the best silver finds I have seen on here in a while. Congrats!!!

I worked hard for it...but in the end it is just perserverance and luck!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread