When sharpies arent enough to mark halves
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: When sharpies arent enough to mark halves

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #1
    us
    May 2018
    A state of Resistance
    White's MXT Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
    1,989
    3177 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    When sharpies aren't enough to mark halves

    On an epic 23 box skunk streak with only discouraging things to show. Why would anyone go to the effort to punch M19 deeply onto these halves (all dated 1972-73)?

    Did somebody run out of sharpies?

    Name:  IMG_1004.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  38.6 KB
    jeff of pa and SD51 like this.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

  2. #2
    Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, Full sized shovel and a backhoe
    15,143
    27179 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    'Cause they're stupid.

  3. #3

    Feb 2006
    1,379
    1404 times
    Agreed.

    Time for more coffee.
    Megalodon and SD51 like this.

  4. #4
    us
    ebay "ulster-relic"

    Dec 2012
    port ewen ny
    AT-PRO
    3,701
    7240 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    REAL STOOOPID
    Megalodon and SD51 like this.

  5. #5

    Dec 2003
    Western Schuylkill County Tower City
    2 MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO's .......3 Garrett Pro Pointers…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro ....... 2 Sovereign GT's
    70,193
    36097 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    On an epic 23 box skunk streak with only discouraging things to show. Why would anyone go to the effort to punch M19 deeply onto these halves (all dated 1972-73)?

    Did somebody run out of sharpies?

    Name:  IMG_1004.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  38.6 KB
    LOL Cool !

    I wonder if they didn't Know Better Or if they Did.

    They just made them into Future Collectables to Counter-stamp Collectors.

    250 years from now when all the Posts here at TreasureNet
    are Toooo Deep in the Archives to be easily Found,
    Someone Coin Roll Hunting or Detecting will Post one in "What is It"
    & the Thread will be 10 Pages or more Long Before someone Posts
    That Back in 2019 Someone Figured it was a Coin Hunters Mark.

    At that point a Counter-stamp Collector will offer $200.000.00 for it,
    even though the Red Book and Coin Dealers will Still List it as Worthless due to Date,
    Metal Content & Condition of the Coin.

    Last edited by jeff of pa; Mar 09, 2019 at 07:38 AM.

  6. #6
    us
    Oct 2011
    449
    414 times
    Coin Roll Hunting
    That’s rough man. Just had another 2 skunks yesterday myself. Keep at it I guess, good luck don
    Megalodon likes this.

  7. #7

    Dec 2003
    Western Schuylkill County Tower City
    2 MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO's .......3 Garrett Pro Pointers…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro ....... 2 Sovereign GT's
    70,193
    36097 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    btw keep at least 1 of those haves

    no ! I'm not Joking

    if the rest get Melted down at the Whim of the Mint,
    It will become even More Rare !
    Last edited by jeff of pa; Mar 09, 2019 at 12:38 PM.
    Megalodon likes this.

  8. #8
    us
    Lord ringpull

    Oct 2015
    Kannapolis nc
    Fisher f2, Tesoro vaquero, Nokta Simplex
    321
    363 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Be sure to mark those m19......ok
    Megalodon likes this.

  9. #9
    us
    May 2018
    A state of Resistance
    White's MXT Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
    1,989
    3177 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff of pa View Post
    btw keep at least 1 of those haves

    no ! I'm not Joking

    if the rest get Melted down at the Whim of the Mint,
    It will become even More Rare !
    I might feel guilty keeping such gems all to myself. Would it be more generous or altruistic to share these beauties for others to appreciate? Perhaps I could release them during national coin week.
    Last edited by Megalodon; Mar 09, 2019 at 02:42 PM.
    jeff of pa likes this.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

  10. #10
    us
    May 2018
    A state of Resistance
    White's MXT Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
    1,989
    3177 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowtaknow View Post
    Be sure to mark those m19......ok
    Betting the genius behind this particular coin marking scheme has marked more than the 3 coins I have been so fortunate to find.
    jeff of pa likes this.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

  11. #11

    Dec 2003
    Western Schuylkill County Tower City
    2 MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO's .......3 Garrett Pro Pointers…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro ....... 2 Sovereign GT's
    70,193
    36097 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    I might feel guilty keeping such gems all to myself. Would it be more generous or altruistic to share these beauties for others to appreciate? Perhaps I could release them during national coin week.
    Great Idea
    Megalodon likes this.

  12. #12

    Dec 2003
    Western Schuylkill County Tower City
    2 MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO's .......3 Garrett Pro Pointers…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro ....... 2 Sovereign GT's
    70,193
    36097 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    Betting the genius behind this particular coin marking scheme has marked more than the 3 coins I have been so fortunate to find.
    maybe Someone Will Eventually Produce a Collection Book to Store Them in By Date
    Megalodon and Toecutter like this.

  13. #13
    Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2008
    St. Augustine, FL
    4,162
    1704 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff of pa View Post
    LOL Cool !

    I wonder if they didn't Know Better Or if they Did.

    They just made them into Future Collectables to Counter-stamp Collectors.

    250 years from now when all the Posts here at TreasureNet
    are Toooo Deep in the Archives to be easily Found,
    Someone Coin Roll Hunting or Detecting will Post one in "What is It"
    & the Thread will be 10 Pages or more Long Before someone Posts
    That Back in 2019 Someone Figured it was a Coin Hunters Mark.

    At that point a Counter-stamp Collector will offer $200.000.00 for it,
    even though the Red Book and Coin Dealers will Still List it as Worthless due to Date,
    Metal Content & Condition of the Coin.

    Sadly, with the current trend of inflation and the value of our dollar, your $200K buy price is equivalent to $2.00 in today's money.
    jeff of pa likes this.

  14. #14
    Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, Full sized shovel and a backhoe
    15,143
    27179 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Jeff, could they have been tokens in a MD contest? One club makes copper cents into a cup sized shape so people with computers on a stick, like I have won't have any advantage at an organized dig. Just a thought. 250 years from now I doubt I'll be on the site.
    jeff of pa likes this.

  15. #15

    Dec 2003
    Western Schuylkill County Tower City
    2 MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO's .......3 Garrett Pro Pointers…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro ....... 2 Sovereign GT's
    70,193
    36097 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeythecat View Post
    Jeff, could they have been tokens in a MD contest? One club makes copper cents into a cup sized shape so people with computers on a stick, like I have won't have any advantage at an organized dig. Just a thought. 250 years from now I doubt I'll be on the site.
    Yep the Club hunts I attended Mark Clad.
    I Don't Join in the Hunts So Not sure how they all Do.
    One uses Paint, I Do Know That.

    But Yes, I Wouldn't Rule out Stamps for prizes

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. S mint mark Halves
    By weighit in forum Coin Roll Hunting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Jul 12, 2016, 04:23 AM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: Apr 03, 2013, 04:32 PM
  3. Do you mark your halves?
    By Fropa in forum Coin Roll Hunting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Apr 18, 2007, 02:27 PM
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0