Its been a PEACEful weekend with a Buffalo.

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
While this year has been tough, this week has been extremely good for me. Seems like the January/early February skunk streak that I was on is thawing with the weather.

First came the solid roll of silver dimes (prior post). YTD: $4,320 searched, $6.60 silver (incl the solid roll) and one 1987S impaired proof. Took searching $1,335 before I got my first silver dime this year.

On Friday, I got this 1926 buffalo nickel in a $10 purchase of nickel rolls.

1926 buff.jpg

searched $448 of nickels so far this year: found 2 buffaloes and no war silver

Also on Friday, got 2 solid rolls of halves - no silver. All 2002 P&D. Someone must have bought a mint bag back then. I know this has been asked on this forum before, but should I keep or spend them in the wild? I was thinking of keeping a few and then spending the rest. I usually keep NIFC that I don't have, but I have some 2002 already.

2002 halves.jpg

At a bank on Saturday, when I was getting pennies, nickels, and dimes, I asked for halves as I usually do, and they had 2 coins (both clad) and then said they had $11 in large dollars. I took them, and one of the 11 was this 1924 peace dollar.

peace.jpg

Upvote 0
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the nice finds! :occasion14:

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
That's why when getting my dime boxes, I always try to ask for half dollars AND any BIG DOLLAR COINS. Sometimes tellers couldn't care less about a Peace or Morgan dollar coin, they just wish to get rid of them. Congrats on your findings.

Uncleslick18

Oct 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
That is awesome! I was in a Bank of America back in November and they had $100 fv worth of Ike rolls (only time I’ve come across this) I believe they were $10 rolls if my memory serves me. I promptly purchased them and salivated the entire way home, no silver in them, and I don’t really know anything about them so I didn’t check for errors either, I just cashed them back in. I thought about trying to resell them at a premium, but I just brought
Them back to a different bank, they are very fun to hunt when you can find them. Awesome score there!

OP
OP
C

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
CORRECTION: I noticed yesterday that the peace dollar I got (pictured above) was not in coin alignment. This caused me to investigate. Today I compared it to another Peace dollar that I have, and the one I found clearly doesnt have the complete silver ring to it when it is dropped on a table. I cant find any cuts or openings on the edge to see if it is some sort of magicians coin, but it may be made well enough to the extent that I can't tell. Anyway, it does not appear to be a genuine silver dollar, or it was doctored in some way. A neat piece nonetheless, and for a buck I will keep it.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CORRECTION: I noticed yesterday that the peace dollar I got (pictured above) was not in coin alignment. This caused me to investigate. Today I compared it to another Peace dollar that I have, and the one I found clearly doesnt have the complete silver ring to it when it is dropped on a table. I cant find any cuts or openings on the edge to see if it is some sort of magicians coin, but it may be made well enough to the extent that I can't tell. Anyway, it does not appear to be a genuine silver dollar, or it was doctored in some way. A neat piece nonetheless, and for a buck I will keep it.

I was about to say that finding a real silver dollar is a dream for any CRHer and then I kept reading until this post. Have you looked at the rim with strong magnification? Have you weighed the coin and compared it to specs? I still remember finding a light '64 half over 50 years ago and it did not sound "right" at all when dropped. Back then, we did not have these nice little convenient digital scales. A coin dealer showed me that a tiny hole had been made between high points of the reeding and somehow, silver had been scooped out through that tiny hole. At the time, "China" was blamed for the silver theft. But if your coin is misaligned, that sounds like it might have been cut in half and glued back together.

OP
OP
C

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
I was about to say that finding a real silver dollar is a dream for any CRHer and then I kept reading until this post. Have you looked at the rim with strong magnification? Have you weighed the coin and compared it to specs? I still remember finding a light '64 half over 50 years ago and it did not sound "right" at all when dropped. Back then, we did not have these nice little convenient digital scales. A coin dealer showed me that a tiny hole had been made between high points of the reeding and somehow, silver had been scooped out through that tiny hole. At the time, "China" was blamed for the silver theft. But if your coin is misaligned, that sounds like it might have been cut in half and glued back together.

I am sure it is lighter when I checked it against a genuine one last night, but I don't have a scale. Next time I go to a coin show I will bring it with me and have a dealer take a look to see if they can find the tiny hole. I guess the reasoning for doing this is that someone sucks out the silver and then still gets the to spend the coin as a buck. Actually, I have found silver dollars in my area - in 2018, one bank had 2 morgans, and in another where the teller saves coins for me, I got $10 in a mix of peace and morgans (in that case, I bet the original owner of the coins passed away and someone turned them in) - I then "tipped" the teller a starbucks gift card at christmas for that one. I posted about that in a reply to a chat earlier this year that asked what was your best finds in 2018.

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How do you “suck” solid silver out of a coin?

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After looking at your pic it's obvious it's a casted coin. Sorry about that but a lesson learned.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions