SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got $100 for My BDay and went to a bank and got $100 worth of halves. Not a Silver in the mix.
It’s actually a challenge to find that many halves. I was wondering if I’d have better luck at Quarters, or if there’s another direction I should go to look for Silvers in coin roll hunting??
Any help will be Much Appreciated!! Happy Hunting!!

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might have more luck with dimes. My banks never have halves. I order a few boxes a year, although the bank seemingly hates ordering them.

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree. You would have better luck with dimes. I do not recommend quarters.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
You would have better odds getting struck by lightening than finding a silver quarter in the wild, (unless you are MD). Searching halves like most guys, the payoff is good to great, but the series of EMPTY BOXES or "Skunks" is very high. That's why I mostly do dimes, either MWR or CWR, and Bags preferred. A 40% half is equal to 2-Rosies, a 90% equal to 5-Rosies, so when a find 2-Rosies per box I just think of it as 1-40%half. Just last Friday out of 5-boxes, I found 1,1,2,5,6. But in my area, it's very difficult to DUMP halves.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Halves are my favorite. If I had $100 to "spend", and I was only after silver, I'd always get halves if available - followed by dimes and then quarters. You're already at the bank, might as well get the whole $100 worth.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I wonder if the common use of quarters in car washes, vending machines, laundry mats, etc, have caused a faster pulling of quarters from the system. The guys that own those businesses probably know about silver. Ive only ever found one quarter in the wild.

SilverLunker

Nov 4, 2013
New England
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The silver quarters are still out there!! My previous job was maintaining the claw machines @Walmart's and I came across plenty of silver quarters!! Miss that job

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
From my limited experience, customer rolled dime coin rolls are best, unfortunately, these are few and far between. :dontknow:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The silver quarters are still out there!! My previous job was maintaining the claw machines @Walmart's and I came across plenty of silver quarters!! Miss that job

A couple of local homeless camp out in the vestibule in front of the local Walmart's Coinstar and keep close watch of it. They recover the silver from the reject tray and immediately take it inside to spend.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You would have better odds getting struck by lightening than finding a silver quarter in the wild, (unless you are MD). Searching halves like most guys, the payoff is good to great, but the series of EMPTY BOXES or "Skunks" is very high. That's why I mostly do dimes, either MWR or CWR, and Bags preferred. A 40% half is equal to 2-Rosies, a 90% equal to 5-Rosies, so when a find 2-Rosies per box I just think of it as 1-40%half. Just last Friday out of 5-boxes, I found 1,1,2,5,6. But in my area, it's very difficult to DUMP halves.

Agreed. Coinstar reject trays can be good for silver quarters. I found three in January at a Coinstar just walking out of my local Safeway.

Halves in my area have dried up. We went through 24 consecutive skunk boxes - that's 24,000 coins searched without a silver.

Last edited:

SilverLunker

Nov 4, 2013
New England
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple of local homeless camp out in the vestibule in front of the local Walmart's Coinstar and keep close watch of it. They recover the silver from the reject tray and immediately take it inside to spend.

What I was referring to were the stuffed animal claw machines..they generate alot of money! I doubt the homeless are spending their change on those claw machines. But I would always check the coinstar myself and found quite a bit of silver (mostly dimes)..I would even use a tool I made to "sweep" underneath the entire coinstar machine!! Found a few silvers that way and about $60 in clad(over a few weeks and many machines)

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
From my limited experience, customer rolled dime coin rolls are best, unfortunately, these are few and far between. :dontknow:
Is it because of banks going cashless? When I quit hunting about 5 years ago, I had at least $2k-$3k in cwr dimes lined up between 4 banks, per month. Are dimes that hard to find now?

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I was referring to were the stuffed animal claw machines..they generate alot of money! I doubt the homeless are spending their change on those claw machines. But I would always check the coinstar myself and found quite a bit of silver (mostly dimes)..I would even use a tool I made to "sweep" underneath the entire coinstar machine!! Found a few silvers that way and about $60 in clad(over a few weeks and many machines)

I understood your post. Due to the spending of silver from the Coinstar reject trays, IMO there is slightly better chance of getting silver in change at a Walmart than at places where there are not homeless on benches focused on the reject tray 2 feet in front of them and on the other vending machines.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread