ALWAYS ask!!!

Uncleslick18

Oct 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
So, long story, I was dumping a bunch of halves a month or so ago and jammed up the machine at one of the CUs in my area. The lady came over and helped unjam it, she lifted up the top and exposed the internal reject receptacle which was LOADED!! Of course I didn’t ask because there was someone behind me waiting to use the machine and I didn’t want to hold up the line. This scenario ate at me all month because all I could think of was all of the silver that was probably sitting in there...

So today, I dumped $98.11 worth of pennies there (this machine has 6 bags for pennies, which is pretty awesome). I filled the last bag and the dude came over to change a couple out. While he was doing it I asked him, I told him I go through them with my kids and I’m trying to get them into something other than baseball cards or something else that will be stupid and worthless in 10 years... blah blah. I offered to pay for them, but he said no you can just have them, we just dump them in the trash when we empty it out anyway.

No silver of course :( but there was about $8.50 fv in us, $13 fv in. cAd and some other various foreign stuff, a 1927 wheat and a steelie, along with some other random stuff. Bummer on the no silver but I’m definitely happy I asked, I’ll make sure I keep my eye on that when I dump there in the future!

Good luck this week everyone ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1553033611.932114.jpg

Upvote 0

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Uncle: you'd be amazed at what shows up in reject bins. Found these two men's rings several years ago, same bank, same machine, about 6-8 months apart, both are gold but not sure about the stones. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1553039936.020504.jpg ,
also one time found a live round 22.cal bullet.

OP
OP
U

Uncleslick18

Oct 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Haha. I think I saw your post, I’ve def seen that picture before. I was just thrilled that the guy actually let me take what was in there

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A couple of nice rings! :occasion14:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice haul from the internal reject bin. My best find in one was an Ike dollar. Some machines also have small magnets and those often have a coin stuck to it.

OP
OP
U

Uncleslick18

Oct 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh I always clear the magnet by reaching in with my finger and sweeping off whatever is stuck. I’ve found about $20 worth of CAD quarters dimes and nickels this way over the past 4 months.

Grizz12

Dec 22, 2018
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should ask him which days they dump the coins and make sure you are there at that time

OP
OP
U

Uncleslick18

Oct 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I need to make nice with him so that I can buy bags there, haven’t found a branch willing to sell them yet

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I need to make nice with him so that I can buy bags there, haven’t found a branch willing to sell them yet

In my case I go to several branches of the same BANK, but only two branches are willing to sell me bags off the machine. Don't know the reasoning.

OP
OP
U

Uncleslick18

Oct 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
It has to be laziness. Or the fear that you will go back and try to say “hey the bag was short.” Either way, very aggravating

Poor Mans Gold

Feb 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been going through half dollar boxes since 2010. I've been collecting coins since 1962. I still have everything I've ever found. While starting on the halves, another bank offered to sell me boxes of cents, nickels and dimes. I took the offer. I opened an account with another bank to use their coin machine. I was bringing close to $3,000 a week to the machine. When they see me pull up to the bank, one of the tellers would go to the coin machine and open it up. I always looked in the reject tube. Once it was clogged. I unclogged it and all the coin came down. Looking at them, there was an 1820 Large Cent in good condition.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Of course I still lurk here, but after seven years straight, my roll hunting career ended in 2015. Haven’t stepped inside a bank since. Ahhhhh, you can’t believe the relief! Yes, I still think about hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread