Checked off a 2019 goal

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of my goals for 2019 was to find a silver commemorative half dollar. Today I found two!!!! From a teller tray nonetheless!

1925 California diamond jubilee
1936 San Francisco Oakland bay bridge

These were found at CU with a coin machine i use frequently. When I cash in my ticket i ask for halves that get turned in. The machine rejects silver and many times a bank customer will bring up their ticket with their rejected coin and cash those in too. The tellers are great about holding halves for me since they just have to eventually dump them in the machine themselves. I consider this the one exception to the rule to buying where you dump.

There was $15.50 in her tray. These two and another six 40%ers.

Attachments

• 1553659876999.jpg
    1553659876999.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 131
  • 1553659899094.jpg
    1553659899094.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 104
Upvote 0

silveraddict

Jan 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
One of my goals for 2019 was to find a silver commemorative half dollar. Today I found two!!!! From a teller tray nonetheless!

1925 California diamond jubilee
1936 San Francisco Oakland bay bridge

These were found at CU with a coin machine i use frequently. When I cash in my ticket i ask for halves that get turned in. The machine rejects silver and many times a bank customer will bring up their ticket with their rejected coin and cash those in too. The tellers are great about holding halves for me since they just have to eventually dump them in the machine themselves. I consider this the one exception to the rule to buying where you dump.

There was $15.50 in her tray. These two and another six 40%ers.
Very nice Congratulations

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Are these comm 40% or 90% silver? Nice catch at the teller window, good tellers to have around also.

OP
OP
Zomotion

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Zomotion

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone!

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. Congrats on the great save. Its a goal of mine too.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best thing about seeing your post and the pics of those two coins from what I consider to be the golden age of commemoratives, is that it gives us hope of someday finding something similar.
At this point in CRHing, the boxes have become so unproductive for me that they seem to be just an excuse to visit tellers and inquire about possible loose halves in the tray. If not for the possibility my tellers might have something for me, I would not bother with the boxes. Nearly my entire year total came from two boxes in January.

It is also interesting that both of your commemoratives are from CA and depict bears. Perhaps the collector lived in CA, collected CA themed coins or those with bears. In any case, it is a fantastic find and thanks for posting it!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zomotion

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best thing about seeing your post and the pics of those two coins from what I consider to be the golden age of commemoratives, is that it gives us hope of someday finding something similar.
At this point in CRHing, the boxes have become so unproductive for me that they seem to be just an excuse to visit tellers and inquire about possible loose halves in the tray. If not for the possibility my tellers might have something for me, I would not bother with the boxes. Nearly my entire year total came from two boxes in January.

It is also interesting that both of your commemoratives are from CA and depict bears. Perhaps the collector lived in CA, collected CA themed coins or those with bears. In any case, it is a fantastic find and thanks for posting it!

Thanks Megalodon! It was posts like these when I first started that gave me the hope that I'd run into a silver commem some day. Definitely one of my favorite finds now 6 years into this hobby. I wondered the same thing about the person who owned these... whether a collector of things Californian or bears? Whatever the reason, I'm glad to have them in my collection

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread