1.5 MB · Views: 152
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Wonderful pull of silver, but I don't think you could get credit as a Dream Box. Three years ago I had 98-silvers I one box (65-mercs, 33-Rosies), but the rest of the TN guys claimed it has to be 100. I considered it as my Dream box, still recall the event to this day. You'll never forget yours either.

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Wonderful pull of silver, but I don't think you could get credit as a Dream Box. Three years ago I had 98-silvers I one box (65-mercs, 33-Rosies), but the rest of the TN guys claimed it has to be 100. I considered it as my Dream box, still recall the event to this day. You'll never forget yours either.

I know halves are 100; never got a dime box like this!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me, what you got would qualify as a dream box.

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with smokeythecat. That would a dream box for me.

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
No question in my mind that this is a dream box. Consider that you probably average 1 or maybe 2 silvers per box, and you got 22, including a Barber.

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV (hobby lobby 40% off ;-) )
Primary Interest:
Other
I consider any bag with more than one silver good, so yeah, that's definitely dreamy...

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For BANK/Currier rolled dimes, this should qualify as a dream box. You simply don't find 20+ dimes in a box. I've done hundreds of dime boxes and my best was 7, I believe. In comparison, I've had probably 15 half boxes with 20 plus silvers, including 2 boxes with over 200 keepers.

Dozer, your box was a dream box....period. I may not have had that perspective at one point but you can't compare dimes to halves.

I haven't looked but I bet you'd find very few posts on this forum that claim to have found a 20+ silver dime box in the last 10 years.

Last edited:
OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
For BANK/Currier rolled dimes, this should qualify as a dream box. You simply don't find 20+ dimes in a box. I've done hundreds or dime boxes and my best was 7, I believe. In comparison, I've had probably 15 half boxes with 20 plus silvers, including 2 boxes with over 200 keepers.

Dozer, your box was a dream box....period. I may not have had that perspective at one point but you can't compare dimes to halves.

I haven't looked but I bet you'd find very few posts on this forum that claim to have found a 20+ silver dime box in the last 10 years.
U
Theoretically, there should be several more boxes like it in our market.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dream of a box like that

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the great box. I gave up on dimes after 2 skunk boxes of those little things. But the halves have been just about as bad - except for 2 boxes in January that produced nearly all my silver for the year. Finding about half what I found last year.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For halves, 100 silvers in a box has been the standard (10% of the box), but when I first started watching this forum, those happened with surprising frequency compared to now.

Dimes have been much more heavily searched historically due to the difference in how much they circulate. A true apple to apples dream box of 10% of the box would be 250 silver dimes in a box for dimes. That seems a bit high to me.

These are just my opinion on standards based on my own observations of how frequently finds of this magnitude show up, but here goes:

* dollars - 1+ silver dollar of any variety -- not aware of boxes or bags being found anywhere and most have already been pulled from circulation. I have only found 4 ever and all were found in one bank stop.
* halves - 100+ silvers in a box (10%)
* quarters - 20+ silvers in a box (1%)
* dimes - 50+ silvers in a box (2%)
* nickels - 50+ war nickels and pre-Jefferson nickels combined (2.5%)
* cents - 250+ wheat cents, IH cents, and flying eagle cents combined (10%)

I thought about posting this as its own thread as it would probably spur more discussion, but decided to just leave it here. If someone else wants to start another thread for discussion, feel free.

Regardless of the definition of a "dream" box, it was still a really nice box. Congrats!

The one thing I think we can all agree on is the "nightmare" box... a skunk that is also short coins. I don't think we need to define how many coins short are required as one is too many. The shorter it is, the worse the nightmare.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
GMan: it's those Nightmare boxes that causes people to jump ship out of the hobby.

If 50-dimes make up a Dream Box, then over the course of the past 4-years I've found 2 Dream boxes, 71 & 98 silvers. I'm still dreaming about the 98. Keep hunting.

Last edited:

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My idea of a dream box is "possible, but very infrequent".

Although I generally did bags and not boxes, over the course of the millions of coins/year I sorted through when I was CRH'ing heavy a few years back I think I ended up finding:
* one or two dream bags of dimes and even then they might have fallen just short as I think they $500 bags, so the ratio may have been too low to qualify
* found 4 silver dollars in one stop
* one dream partial box of nickels
* a couple dream bags of cents
* and one or two dream bags/partial bags of halves

Never got one with quarters as the closest I came was either 10 or 12 silver quarters in a bag and it was at least a $500 bag so definitely well short of the criteria.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
GMan: if you got 10-12 qtrs from a bag, I wonder what else was in the dime & half dollar bags, probably all came in from the same person.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread