Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any suggestions on getting just new quarter rolls Ive bought 200 dollars worth found 1 2019 p quarter. Im sure its just a crap shoot but Im firng. lol I need all 5 and will get them slabbed by pcgs. I save things like that for my kids for 30 40 years from now... Tommy I also saw at the bank 5 silver halves in the tellers tray and asked to buy them she said you can have all the halves accept my silver ones rrrhhhh BRAT lol

Upvote 0

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV (hobby lobby 40% off ;-) )
Primary Interest:
Other
Since hearing about the W's I've sorted through 8 bags and have only pulled 2 2019's (luckily a P&D). To put it into perspective, I've found more Silvers in that span thus far :-p

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
Since hearing about the W's I've sorted through 8 bags and have only pulled 2 2019's (luckily a P&D). To put it into perspective, I've found more Silvers in that span thus far :-p

I just started to search quarters for them. I usually dont search quarters at all. My sense is that at this point in the year, a W is more likely to come from a MWR from coins that were distributed by the mint compared with a CWR or a bag from a coin counter. Just my opinion.

OP
OP
A2coins

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advice I would love to find a whole roll of em

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have now done $5,000 in quarters, boxes from banks, and have a whopping four 2019 W's. I need a solid box of 2019's.

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have now done $5,000 in quarters, boxes from banks, and have a whopping four 2019 W's. I need a solid box of 2019's.

Smokey, It's hard to read emotion from a post. Are you saying you're pleasantly surprised to have found 4 2019 W's or are you disappointed? I'd say 4 out of 20,000 quarters seems just a bit low but probably isn't. Now, if you got a solid box, I'd say your odds go up exponentially.

Regardless, Congrats on the 4 W's. What's the condition of the quarters? Are you submitting them for grading?

OO

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Smokey: don't even expect to ever find a solid roll of W quarters, thats not the way the mint was going to distribute them. They were going to be inter-mixed at Philly & Denver mints into there millions & millions commerce production runs.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Disappointed. I would expect 1 per box at least. I would not expect to find more than a couple in a roll, but please.....blasted things are heavy. I sent all four for slabbing. Since it was in the first week of issue they appeared overall clean and I will be surprised when I get the grading back.

It would be less work buying a few on Ebay.

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Smokey - Do you live in a large city? The reason I ask is because our local coin dealer thinks the larger cities will receive the W quarters, and my mid-size city won’t get them except by cross-pollenization later on.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same problem here in Mid state NC. Not sure if the mint could really have a fair distribution system but when they announce something like the W quarter, you would think they would try and get the quarters more evenly distributed outside of the big city's. As it is, us mid and small towns will have to settle for the crumbs left behind.

One of the things i have done is put the word out to all the retail people i know to keep an eye out and save the new quarters for me. I go to Mcdonalds and Target and places like that almost every day so maybe one of them will come thru. I did not mention the W mint mark to them. Instead, i tell them i am looking for different variations of the quarters to fill my collection.

BTW...I saw a person on ebay selling 40 of the quarters for around a grand. Looks like a very lopsided distribution system.

Last edited:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I'm near Jacksonville, FL which has a Fed Branch so my area gets the new coins fairly readily. I don't normally hunt Qtrs as I have been doing this for 35+ years and my eyes aren't as good as they used to be. But with the West Point Qtr news, I am giving it a go even if my eyes will bleed. I'm not going to do large volume, but rather a box here and there beside my normal order of halves. First box, 2 silver qtrs but the newest was a 2018 Cumberland Island. Picked up another box and it so far, the newest is the 2018 Cumberland Island. Hopefully, they order and get some new qtrs in the next shipment.

OP
OP
A2coins

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought 2 on ebay and plan to get them slabbed dont know why the 2nd release quarter goes for 175 and the Lowell mass for about 40 any reason

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like I read that the guy that was one of the first to submit found 4 (or 7) in a single box of new quarters. I think the key if you're going to roll search is to go bank to bank asking for a box of new quarters. It would probably be worth your time.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I’m gonna offer my regular bank a box of donuts for every new quarter box they can get me.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw someone on YouTube pull like 17 Ws from a box the other day.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
^ and they were the Mariana Island type not Lowells, which are going for $70+ right now on eBay

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not going to sacrifice the time searching for these. I have holes to dig. Winter is coming!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 2nd and 3rd issues are now out. That being said, I'm up to $7,000 in quarters and now have 8 of them. All Lowells. Two have been slabbed and graded MS-64. If you wait 6 months you won't get a BU out of a roll on the Lowell quarters. They will have been machine sorted a few times by them. I have a full roll of the Marianas quarters but nothing good in the batch. I'm just going to buy rolls off Ebay or a box or something. It's getting old horseing them around. They weigh a lot.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Baddbluff, give it 10 days and you'll get them for $30 or so. That happened with the Lowells and now I've seen the Lowells with some as low as $16.95.

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
Darn it, I wish I'd have read about this sooner. I went to my bank and they said they stopped selling change.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread