Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree13Likes
  • 6 Post By 7up2000
  • 1 Post By Uncleslick18
  • 1 Post By 7up2000
  • 2 Post By FormerTeller
  • 1 Post By A2coins
  • 1 Post By Megalodon
  • 1 Post By FormerTeller

Thread: CRH halves: 1 year totals

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jul 2014
    Tucson, Arizona
    Fisher F2, Garrett AT Pro
    746 times
    Metal Detecting

CRH halves: 1 year totals

After finding a bank that would reliably order 2 boxes of halves every week....I decided to bite the bullet and hunt the halves for one year. Last week was the one year anniversary and here are the results:

100 Total boxes searched

66 Total silver found

Breakdown:
    48-40%'ers
    16-90%'ers
    2-80%'ers

--the above included 1 Walking Liberty, 3 Benji's, and my personal white whale: the 1970(ironically enough I found this in the very last box searched). In MS 63 condition it is worth $18. Mine is in very nice condition so it probably came out of somebody's coin collection.

--most of the silver was found in the first 4-5 months. The last 6-7 months was pretty COLD. I no longer do the halves--switched over to doing nickels

HH to the group

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0362.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	913.5 KB 
ID:	1706342

us
    Oct 2011
    204 times
    Coin Roll Hunting
    Nice on the 70. Those are rough averages, I think mine are about the same or maybe worse than yours... Iíve never found anything older than 1964 in bank boxes, and Iíve only found 1 90% coin, so youíre def better off, Iíve also only done about 30-40 boxes since Nov, I kind of stopped just because I got sick of all the running around for nothing.
    I just picked up 4 boxes of dimes and had some decent results, so maybe thatíll be the new thing.
    A2coins likes this.

us
    Jul 2014
    Tucson, Arizona
    Fisher F2, Garrett AT Pro
    746 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncleslick18 View Post
    Nice on the 70. Those are rough averages, I think mine are about the same or maybe worse than yours... I’ve never found anything older than 1964 in bank boxes, and I’ve only found 1 90% coin, so you’re def better off, I’ve also only done about 30-40 boxes since Nov, I kind of stopped just because I got sick of all the running around for nothing.
    I just picked up 4 boxes of dimes and had some decent results, so maybe that’ll be the new thing.
    Thanks for the interesting feedback. And good luck with the dimes.
    A2coins likes this.

us
    Apr 2011
    1204 times

CRH halves: 1 year totals

Up till a couple months ago I was searching 6 boxes per week for the last several years. Your average is about the same as mine was when I threw in the towel; five years ago my average was three times as many. I understand that five years before that it was two or three times higher again.

Unfortunately this only illustrates (to me at least) that finds continue to decline on average. The cause may be up for debate (I place a large portion of the blame on videos...), but statistically the results look pretty cut and dried.

Sorry to be such a downer. You do have some nice finds.
    A2coins and 7up2000 like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    23990 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Thats sounds like a great year. Keep at it this will be a good year
    7up2000 likes this.
    Still Available ​Approved TreasureNet Stickers
    .:: $3.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::.
    .:: $2.25 for 1" x 4" Detector Sticker ::.
    (Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

us
    May 2018
    Maryland
    White's MXT Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
    1084 times
    That 1970 is very nice! Congrats on finding a coin that is much more scarce in practice than its mintage and pricing suggests. I'm hoping to find one too.

Interesting perspectives on the declines with halves. If not for one box this year with 75 and another with 24 on the same day, my numbers would be very low.

Thinking about trying dimes again. My one foray into them was not successful and I gave up not because they were skunks but because handling such tiny coins with large hands and fingers was so tedious and clumsy. Halves are the perfect fit for me but over 2/3 of my boxes are skunks.
    7up2000 likes this.

Always do right; this will gratify some and astonish the rest.
    - Mark Twain

Running 2019 CRH: Boxes of halves searched: 69; dimes: 10
    Total skunk boxes: 49 halves (71%), 9 dimes (90%)
    90% halves from boxes: 30
    40% halves from boxes: 112
    Silver dimes from boxes: 1
    Silver halves from teller trays: 16 - 40% halves
    Coinstar silver: 3 quarters, 1 dime

us
    Apr 2011
    vegas
    1322 times
    Your half boxes are pretty rough. I averaged about 1.8 silvers a box from 2012 to 2018. I pretty much gave up on them now though cuz my averages now are much lower & I havenít found a really solid find in a couple years.

us
    May 2018
    Maryland
    1084 times
    I don't believe that averages are that useful statistically - at least for halves, because they are not normally distributed. When you find 75 in one box and then the next 25 boxes are all skunks, the use of an average can be misleading, or at least, not useful for predictive use.

- Mark Twain

us
    Apr 2011
    1204 times
    Meg, youíre partly right. When I throw out my boxes with high numbers, the percentages are far more bleaker. However, 6 boxes a week means 300,000 halves searched per year. Iíd like to think thatís a big enough sample size to give a reasonable estimate.
    Megalodon likes this.

us
    May 2018
    Maryland
    1084 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FormerTeller View Post
    Meg, you’re partly right. When I throw out my boxes with high numbers, the percentages are far more bleaker. However, 6 boxes a week means 300,000 halves searched per year. I’d like to think that’s a big enough sample size to give a reasonable estimate.
    I agree that you have an excellent sample size - and that does increase the usefulness of the mean. But I think if we include a measure of the dispersal about the mean for non-normal distributions, that would better explain the mean. Or, at least include the median. My mean for this year is down to 2.4/box - and that doesn't look too bad. But the median is 0 - showing that skunk boxes are more common than boxes with any silver. Maybe we should include the median along with the mean. What do you think?

- Mark Twain

us
    Apr 2011
    1204 times
    Itís been a while since my last statistics class, so Iíll take your word for it. All I know is that in 2019 I was finding 0.3 silvers per box, and Iíd had enough, for now at least.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2014
    Massachusetts
    Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II & X-terra 705; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i & DFX
    23327 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Nice job!

us
    Mar 2015
    Bodymore, Metalland
    Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
    1230 times
    Wow thats an epic amount of work. I was doing 2-3 boxes a week but it does seem like the finds have really tapered off in the last year for all the posters here anyway. I am down to less than a box a week. Its just too much work for nothing. Its too frustrating that my teller will hand me a walker, a ben and a few silver Kennedys and then I excitedly plow through the box and theres nothing in it. My tellers and I have found more halves in the past few weeks than schlepping these boxes all over town for a year. I think I need to start recording my CWR numbers. I can tell you they look like this
    Skunk, skunk, 1 %40, skunk, skunk, 2 40%, skunk skunk, skunk, skunk, 1 90%... I think if i wrote it down I'd be too depressed to go on lol. Last year running my calculations I found $2-2.50 worth of silver (roughly 1 40%, 2 dimes, or one 90% half in 2 hrs) per hour driving/ searching including picking up and dumping. Those were decent numbers to me. Boxes were yielding 1.8 40% per box and 1 90 per 2.4 boxes (if memory serves) . About 3/5 my boxes were skunks 3 years ago. Now my boxes have changed consistency dramatically. They are full of NIFC and marked worn out trash. I was thinking someone started dumping into my pickup stream or the machines are set to keep the silver but it may seem we are taking them out of circulation much faster than we did in the past. Its funny how many people are moving to dimes. To me they are just too small to really add up. Looking at my stash before I put it in the bank for last year it looked like I had 3 and a half rolls of dimes from metal detecting and CRHing and I do 300-400 cwr/ mwr a week if I can find them. This year dimes have dried up dramatically for me. Sorry to be depressing but I guess I am trying to say " I feel your pain" .

us
    May 2018
    Maryland
    1084 times
    I agree that tellers are a better source of silver halves than are boxes. The only reason why I continue with a box order at all is to see my tellers on a regular weekly basis. I'd give up on boxes altogether but it just seems weird to me to pop into the bank for no other reason than to ask for loose halves or CWRs. At least if I pick up a box, that appears to be a valid reason to be there and then ask if they have any loose halves or large dollars. But they may be happy not to lug those boxes out of the vault. I do feel guilty that one tiny teller carries two boxes of halves at a time for me.

- Mark Twain

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links