4 boxes of dime. Pretty decent results

Uncleslick18

Oct 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
After coming to grips with the fact that halves are pretty hit or miss in my area, and in the long run pretty poor odds, I decided to grab an order of dimes.

I did pick up two boxes of dimes back in January and found one Rosie and one merc, so I figured what the heck. After all, dumping dimes is WAY easier than dumping halves, the trade off is they are also way more difficult to see, especially when you have poor eyesight like I do.

Anyway, four boxes yielded 5 Rosie’s 1 Mercury and a 1966 CAD, as well as a couple of foreign coins and a handful of CAD dimes. Overall I really can’t complain, and ordered 4 more to pick up Friday, haven’t really hunted dime boxes at all, I used to have a couple places that would sell bags, but have never really bought the boxes until this year. Who knows, maybe these will work out better..

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1556152364.956079.jpg

Upvote 0

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Dumping dimes is a lot easier, banks are very reluctant to order or take back halves. I have one branch that wants my dimes, and sometimes calls me if I have any to spare.

OP
OP
U

Uncleslick18

Oct 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Haha. Nice, yeah I dumped $1000 worth of dimes in 4 minutes this week, the machine takes them right down. It seems that probably 80% of the time I dump halves, the machine jams up, sometimes multiple times, and the employees are over helping and trying to fix the machine, and it just causes a huge ruckus. Dimes are way easier, I think the payoff is probably less though

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I look at it this way, a 40% half is equal to just a little over 2-Rosies, and the 90% halves are exactly 5-times a Rosie. My avg box numbers this month are a little better than normal, but at least I don't have tons of skunks like many half hunters get. Yea, but when they score, they sometimes score BIG TIME. Two 90's in a box, I would have to find ten Rosies.
But, I still like dimes. Just last night I found a 1917-P merc in poor condition, but it still counts on the stack.

OP
OP
U

Uncleslick18

Oct 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice. I typically do two boxes of halves at a time. The best two box haul I have had is 1 1964, and 3 40%ers. I need to do some more dimes to get a better idea of what the typical hunt will be. You’re spot on though, when you hit big with the halves, it’s definitely big.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
s for sure Well doneGood saves takes patience that

OP
OP
U

Uncleslick18

Oct 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Got 4 more today. I’d be happy with similar results

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Uncle: keep going while you're HOT. Good to hear & Congrats.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You talked me into it. I stopped at one of my banks this morning to let them know that I was back in town after my Mom's funeral in MA. I asked them to add one box of dimes to my two box order of halves. I love the Mercury dime design - along with the S.L. quarter and walker half.

OP
OP
U

Uncleslick18

Oct 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Same here. I picked up 4 more yesterday, not nearly as good. One merc one Rosie, a dime from Bermuda, and 5-6 CAD dimes. I mean it certainly could have been worse, they are just so tedious to look at, but at least I found something!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1556405401.413304.jpg

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread