Halves : NIFC (Not Intended for Circulation) Dump

blueberra

Oct 15, 2009
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My most recent box (6th consecutive skunk box, by the way) was unusual in a couple of ways.

Not only were there at least 200 NIFC halves, but I believe that all dates / mint marks were included, probably 2 or 3 times over.

It's as if someone dumped 2 or 3 complete folders of just 2002 thru 2018 halves and then dumped a bunch more of NIFC halves.

I don't think I saw more than 8 or so of a given date/mm. I never saw more than 2 of the same date/mm in a single roll.

I've seen NIFC dumps before but there were only a few dates/mms represented which I figured were solid date roll dumps.

Upvote 0

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never understood why anybody would save non- silver nifc's ( with the possible exception of really nice impared proofs).

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Blue: was this a MWR box, how unusual to get soooo many.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found some quarters recently, a lot of them all uncirculated in boxes. I think all this is part of the great American coin hunt promo going on.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats my thought as well

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never understood why anybody would save non- silver nifc's ( with the possible exception of really nice impared proofs).

I sold a nice set of nifc halves I put together over a couple months- 2002-2018. 34 coins. Sold for $40 + 8 shipping on eBay. Not a ton of money but I netted about $17. A little something to add to the silvers I found.
I pulled those by looking for nice UNC edges. Didn’t have to search by date really, so it wasn’t that time consuming.
I don’t save every nifc that comes along. Just put together a set here and there.

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other

Thank you Argentium. I thought about what you said and I just went through my post-2001 NIFC halves and started spending them. I think you are right in that these will never be really worth much of a premium, particularly in anything less than BU condition. I now keep one P&D of each year and any that are in BU or near BU condition. I do keep non-silver impaired proofs unless they are worn. I don't know why - other than I don't have that many of them (maybe $22 in total). The only NIFC year I keep in multiple quantities in halves is 1987.

scottw

Jul 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All my NIFC gets passed along to the next lucky hunter.
I save all impaired proofs, gold plated coins, and all coins with the vinyl stickers on them that I find over the course of the year.
In January I take the face value and get a Morgan silver dollar or 2, in the nicest condition I can afford.
I don't get over face for the clad, and not much of a discount on the cartwheels.
It is just a Christmas Club sort of thing I do for myself.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep NIFC to spend - as tips or at the fast food counter.
I imagine that it will make someone happy to get them and they will be removed from circulation (by going into someone's "treasure" box).

Same thing for common IKE dollars.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All my NIFC gets passed along to the next lucky hunter.
I save all impaired proofs, gold plated coins, and all coins with the vinyl stickers on them that I find over the course of the year.
In January I take the face value and get a Morgan silver dollar or 2, in the nicest condition I can afford.
I don't get over face for the clad, and not much of a discount on the cartwheels.
It is just a Christmas Club sort of thing I do for myself.

I like the idea of buying the Morgan with the face value. I don't save the gold plated halves, and have found some that were burned in foolish attempts to recover the plating. Among clad halves, I also save nicer impaired proofs only because I can't bring myself to dump them into the coin machines. I also save 1987 and have only found one in 127 boxes. Same with 1974 double die. I find more magician's coins lately than either date.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions