YEEESSS!!!!!!

Uncleslick18

Oct 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Finally, after 5 months of searching, I finally found a branch of a CU with a coin machine that is willing to sell me bags from the machine!! In fact, instead of the guy helping me treating me like I just had escaped from the local insane asylum, he was actually happy to do it (after I repeatedly assured him I wouldn’t be bringing them back to his branch!)

I just took a couple bags of cents today, but obviously will be making this stop on my weekly rounds, and looking for cents dimes and halves.

He also gave me everything in the internal reject cup again, again contained no silver. The machine is a new model, so my guess is that it’s pretty accurate and just rejects out silver into the normal reject tray, but I intend to fully test that theory.. I’m sure the bags will contain something.

I’m stoked about opening 4 less boxes of cents!!

Happy hunting this week everyone ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1556663950.529422.jpg

Upvote 0

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV (hobby lobby 40% off ;-) )
Primary Interest:
Other
Best of luck man, hope ya pull something good!

OP
OP
U

Uncleslick18

Oct 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Meeee too!!! I’m waiting for next week, hoping to pick up some dimes, could get up to doing 2-3k per week

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's great! Hope you find something special in there. Do you have an account with that CU?

Pssstt - i thought our CRH forum here was our own kind of insane asylum.

OP
OP
U

Uncleslick18

Oct 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Haha. Very true. Yes I do have an acct there so it’s free.

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on getting your foot in the door. There's a bank near me with a counting machine and they let me buy bags for a short time, then stopped. I don't directly have an account there, but I'm the treasurer for the local Boy Scout troop and their account is there. That's why they let me buy the bags initially. Then they said I couldn't buy them anymore because their auditor told them that only people with personal accounts could buy the bags and they weren't allowed to take cash over the counter for them, the money had to be taken out of the account so there's an audit trail. What a pain.

Scott

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just be aware that bags are more likely to be off count than boxes. Sometimes high and sometimes low. If you notice that the count is significantly off and you buy most of the bags off their coin machine, you'll have to inform them yourself as they would otherwise have no way of knowing that it needs adjusting/cleaning. Especially if you notice that they are consistently off in the same direction by more than a few coins.

My suggestion is if off significantly in your favor ($2+ in dimes for example), offer to pay back the extra. If short, I would inform them, but don't demand to have them pay for the shortage as all they have is your word. As far as they knew the bag was accurate. Making an issue of being short/over is one of the main things that stops banks from selling bags, at least in my opinion.

OP
OP
U

Uncleslick18

Oct 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Which is exactly why I intend to keep my mouth shut.
The machine seems pretty accurate, for example, yesterday I dumped 1000 in dimes there, that I had removed 7 coins from (2 silver and 5 CAD) and then put back three coins (3 dimes found in penny rolls I was going through) the net result of my dump should have been 999.60, I turned in 999.50. This is if my memory serves me correctly, I may have removed one leas or put in one more which would make the dump spot on but I can’t remember. In any event, the amount of time and effort buying bags saves versus buying boxes is worth far more than A 1/1000 machine error/difference in what I think I have versus what the machine thinks I have. Pennies would be impossible to tell because I use a reydale to sort and don’t do them by hand. I get what your saying and appreciate your feedback, I just don’t think that the margin of error is enough to worry about.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Do a pre-test of a known, say $5. or even $10 in cents that YOU PHYSICALLY COUNTED, run it in the machine, and see for yourself the accuracy. If they say anything, your just testing the accuracy count of the machine.

OP
OP
U

Uncleslick18

Oct 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I’ve basically been doing this every time I dump halves or dimes, I’ve found more often than not I wind up coming out a couple of coins higher rather than lower.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats and best of luck:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
U

Uncleslick18

Oct 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
This is the type of machine in case anyone was wondering/has more insight ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1556741910.080680.jpg

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of my credit unions has that type of machine and it is much faster than the machines where you put the coins on a belt that drops them onto the spinning disc. It also seems less prone to reject coins.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve basically been doing this every time I dump halves or dimes, I’ve found more often than not I wind up coming out a couple of coins higher rather than lower.

Same here. I think sometimes there are a few coins left in the machine when I start. If I dump a known $400 in halves into the coin machine, the readout should at least read to a 0.50 increment. When the screen shows 400.33, for example, then I know the previous user left some lower denomination coins behind.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow thats some good news thats alot of fun going through those bags Good luck

OP
OP
U

Uncleslick18

Oct 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Mega- I’ve noticed the same, definitely prefer this machine. I think it has 6 penny bags, 3-4 dime bags, I’m not sure about the others but I know it has more bags on it.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I used to CRH a lot, I was buying most bags except quarters from one branch for a few years and although the machine was typically accurate, it did occasionally drift. When I would mention it to the lead teller that I usually dealt with, she would just say it was time to have it "cleaned" or call maintenance. For dimes I didn't mention anything off unless it was over $2 off either way and of the common bags, dimes seemed to be the most likely to be off. For cents, it usually had to be at least 50 cents off or more, and rarely happened. Nickels and quarters seemed to be wrong only very infrequently (if ever).

Half dollars seemed to be the most likely to be wrong, probably because of rarely the bag filled up so it had more time to get a coin incorrectly sorted into the bag. The main problem I found with halves was not the overall count but just the wrong coin type was sorted in and as the coins found were always smaller denomination, the value was lower.

Just because a coin machine is accurate today, doesn't mean it will be accurate tomorrow. Things get dirty and break. It's just a warning to keep an ongoing watch over the counts. Some machines are better than others too and I am not familiar with the machine type pictured, so maybe it'll be more stable than the ones I was buying from. Personally, I always liked bags over boxes due the additional randomness of things found (mostly foreign or older non-standard sized US coins) that would never make it into a roll.

Either way, good luck!

OP
OP
U

Uncleslick18

Oct 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Appreciate the input. I hear what you’re saying. I used to buy bags from a bank that had an older style coin machine, the type that was in the back and that tellers operated, the machine did not reject ANYTHING. I bought 2 bags of quarters, one of them having about $150 worth of washers in it. That was a tough pill to swallow, but I didn’t say anything because I didn’t want to burn a bridge and get cut off. This is the same location that I picked up 2 bags of dimes containing over $20fv in silver from. I guess it just depends, I feel like the newer machines aren’t as likely to be that far off, I def get what you’re saying, I just think that for me the ability to purchase bags is more valuable than whatever the immaterial amount of inaccuracy is in either direction

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with your reasoning. I also always thought that in theory at least I was saving the bank money in paying to ship out their coins. Whether I truly was or it was a fixed cost regardless of whether they had coins to ship out, I am not sure.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mega- I’ve noticed the same, definitely prefer this machine. I think it has 6 penny bags, 3-4 dime bags, I’m not sure about the others but I know it has more bags on it.

Sadly though, only 1 bag for halves in this machine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread