By-Product of Edge Hunting

blueberra

Oct 15, 2009
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like a lot of people on this forum, I get halves by the box and unwrap them and look at the edge to see if anything noteworthy stands out.

I do, however, examine every coin for impaired proofs, errors, etc.

Yesterday, I didn't notice anything unusual with my edge exam. Individually, there was a surprise.

I have attached 3 images -- one with the suspect coin in the middle of 4 clad halves, one of the suspect coin edge, and one with the coin itself.

Attachments

• edge in context.jpeg
    edge in context.jpeg
    681.7 KB · Views: 158
  • edge individually.jpeg
    edge individually.jpeg
    500.8 KB · Views: 112
  • obverse individually.jpeg
    obverse individually.jpeg
    1,004.1 KB · Views: 111
Upvote 0

Uncleslick18

Oct 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
When I hunt halves I do it by edge and then by sound. I kind of drop them one at a time from one hand to the other kind of like you would do playing with a stack of poker chips. If one of the coins is silver. It makes a very clear different sound than when the halves are all clad. It’s easier to watch tv this way while doing it. Nice save there!

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Same thing happened to me earlier this week, a very dirty 40%er. I caught because I look at every date. Good catch!

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Earlier this year I posted my disappointment with a box in which every roll was sliced along the side and then taped back - apparently by an edge hunter. Other CRHers here told me to still check every coin and sure enough, I found one very dirty 40% half missed by the edge hunter.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I search for the non-silver clad edges. Those I pull, and reject. Anything with a white (silver) or unusual edge, I keep.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Even when I do dime rim checks, if it looks unusually dirty or dark I date check. Good catch.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even when I do dime rim checks, if it looks unusually dirty or dark I date check. Good catch.

Dozer, have you found any 1996-W dimes? Without date checking everything, I wonder if we might be missing these. Do you find late date S-mint silver proofs?

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before I even read your comment, I knew it was the middle one. Looking at the pic, the other 4 had the dual colored clad edge and the middle one didn't, it was just one solid color. Dirty/toned, but not two toned. The trickier ones are the dirty/toned 40% ones.

I also always did an edge check and then a sound check for dimes, quarters, and halves where I would scan the edge and then drop them vertically and listen for the silver tone. Caught a few I missed that way, but not too many. Once in awhile you'll also find a magicians coin that is hollowed out as it will make a different sound as well. I did date search halves as I would check certain years for the known double dies and picked up a few of those along the way as well.

Anything with a super sharp edge I would check as a possible proof as those can usually be caught via edge check as well unless they have been heavily circulated, at least for halves. Tougher with dimes due to size. I didn't find enough proof quarters to really have an opinion on those, but I suspect the proofs could probably be spotted via an edge check only as they are big enough.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Mega: no, have not found any 96-W dimes, but recently have found two silver proof dimes in MWR boxes. So they do exist, just that they are very very far apart.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dozer, have you found any 1996-W dimes? Without date checking everything, I wonder if we might be missing these. Do you find late date S-mint silver proofs?

I found one 1996-W a number of years ago when I was still date checking dimes. You will miss those without doing a date check as they don't stand out from the edge and they are made from the standard clad so no sound difference.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread