Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. Great box. That is twice as much silver as we have found in all of our last 51 boxes. The commemorative, IMO, makes this a dream box. The possibility of finding a commem is the only reason why I haven't completely quit halves, although now get only 1 box per week, down from 4/week.

Congrats on a rare find. If we had a banner for CRH, that commem would get my vote!

Last edited:

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Wonderful catch all out of one box, FANTASTIC. Great job.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice box. It's been slow here.

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Nice find there. How about a couple close-ups of the California.

Maine_Jim

OP
OP
A

Alani

Tenderfoot
May 12, 2019
NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had given up on halves for years but decided to restart in 2019 just to do something different. The first few boxes in January were good and skeptically I have gotten about one per week. Out of 17 boxes this year there have only been 3 skunks. There have been a few Franklin's, lots of Proofs and the count for 1964-1969's is now pushing 150. I have no idea why the finds keep coming but it sure has made them fun after not looking through them for so many years.

OP
OP
A

Alani

Tenderfoot
May 12, 2019
NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Zoomed in

Here are two closer shots

Attachments

• IMG_2238.jpg
    IMG_2238.jpg
    829.6 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_2239.jpg
    IMG_2239.jpg
    854.4 KB · Views: 82

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for posting a close-up. The coin looks even better up close.

Uncleslick18

Oct 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Very cool coin. You also have some pretty solid results. I was doing 2 boxes a week a couple of times a month. Hit a couple skunk boxes and switched to doing dimes (4 boxes a week). Had some fairly decent results the first week, 2nd and 3rd week were pretty bad (2 silvers and then 1 silver) so I switched back to halves, picked up 2 half boxes this past Friday and found 3 40% and a 1981s clad proof, which I was pretty happy with. There really is no rhyme or reason to it in my opinion, the equalizer it seems is the volume that you do. The more you search obviously the more you’ll find. I don’t really see any value in keeping an average per box find or whatever because it kind of give you a false sense of “well I should be finding 2 coins per box” or maybe that’s just how my mind works.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool coin. You also have some pretty solid results. I was doing 2 boxes a week a couple of times a month. Hit a couple skunk boxes and switched to doing dimes (4 boxes a week). Had some fairly decent results the first week, 2nd and 3rd week were pretty bad (2 silvers and then 1 silver) so I switched back to halves, picked up 2 half boxes this past Friday and found 3 40% and a 1981s clad proof, which I was pretty happy with. There really is no rhyme or reason to it in my opinion, the equalizer it seems is the volume that you do. The more you search obviously the more you’ll find. I don’t really see any value in keeping an average per box find or whatever because it kind of give you a false sense of “well I should be finding 2 coins per box” or maybe that’s just how my mind works.

I agree that the mean, or average, is useless for halves at least. In early January, we got two boxes in one day that totaled 99 silver halves. The next 25 boxes were all skunks. An average per box would not be meaningful.

Uncleslick18

Oct 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Lol. You found more halves in one box than I have in my entire time CRHing. That’s pretty awesome!

scottw

Jul 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There will always be a few 40%ers show up, even a Franklin now and then. Perhaps a Walker on rare occasion.
The possibility that a coin like your commerative can show up at any time is the reason I keep plugging away.
Well done!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread