5th Steel!

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV (hobby lobby 40% off ;-) )
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, been in a bit of a dry spell. Working on the road Mon-Friday last 3 weeks now, lucky enough to get through my bank Friday before close to get a couple bags for the weekends. Last bag only had 10 wheats, though 3 were pre-1940. About 1/4 of the way through my current bag and spied this beauty:
S20190519_0001.jpg S20190519_0002.jpg

Only my 5th one in 1.3 million cents now, and best conditioned! Definitely makes up for the dry spell, but sad to think of all the ones that got away since I haven't been able to do any volume. Happy Hunting everyone!

Upvote 0

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Rosco: to find a steelie in a bank bag is Extremely RARE, only because of the magnet on the spinning wheel or lid that the "steelie" was to have been stuck to. In your case, your steel cent was pushed down quickly by other cents causing it to bypass the magnet. It has happened to me a few times off of machines, likely a better chance to find them in CWR's. Congrats, I would grade it as VF-ExtFine (discarding the darkened steel toning).
I would ask the tellers to save you any coins that ARE STUCK TO THE MAGNET, then I would bet that you would find more steelies.

Uncleslick18

Oct 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I’ve searched a LOT of cents and can honestly say that I don’t think I’ve ever found a steel wheat. I am pretty sure that all of the ones that I have I have purchased. Very cool find!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I’m also surprised the steel made it past the magnet.

My biggest steel haul was two solid rolls. I have to give my wife credit for that, she’s the one that nabbed ‘em on her teller line. She also one time brought home 58 solid rolls of wheats in one catch. It pays to marry a teller.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions