My first Morgan

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at one of my dump banks today. As usual, $200 in a bag ready to run through the machine. I started her up and could hear something stuck and spinning in the machine... but very typical at this credit union. I constantly see this counter down for maintenance due to the crap that gets put in it.

However I always peek inside to see what might be in there. You can look into the machine and generally see what's stuck. Well there she was, just waiting for me to save her!

I called a teller over and just said some of my coins were stuck and she opened the machine. I grabbed it and said thank you!

This is my first silver dollar and another bucket lister checked off the list! 1897 p. It's in a silver bezel and you can see where a loop was soldered on at one point for a necklace.

Attachments

• 1558671990243.jpg
    1558671990243.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 118
  • 1558672006551.jpg
    1558672006551.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 99
Upvote 0

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some folks have all the luck.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! And quick thinking to claim it was one of your dumped coins. I'm usually quick to disclaim stuck items because they are often trash or live ammunition.

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've dug up three over the years, but nothing to match that story! Great save and well played! :occasion14:

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The very first thing I put on my bucket list was a Silver Dollar, and here I am nearly 4 years later still searching.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice! Can you get the bezel off without damaging the coin?

OP
OP
Zomotion

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The very first thing I put on my bucket list was a Silver Dollar, and here I am nearly 4 years later still searching.

Took me 6 +. You still got time :laughing7:

OP
OP
Zomotion

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! Can you get the bezel off without damaging the coin?

Yeah i think I can... But it's pretty sweet the way I found it, think I'll just keep as is :icon_thumright:

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Doesn't the machine have a series of holes on top to filter coins through, allowing no coin bigger than a half dollar. Nice find, and quick thinking, thank goodness for the bezel.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found 20 plus Morgans and peace Dollars. It was all at the same time. It was like a slot machine.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't the machine have a series of holes on top to filter coins through, allowing no coin bigger than a half dollar. Nice find, and quick thinking, thank goodness for the bezel.

I've seen variation in coin machine design. Of the 7 machines that I use for dumping, only 2 now have the design you describe - and they seem more prone to jams. At one credit union, every branch has a different design; at another credit union, every machine is the exact same design.

OP
OP
Zomotion

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey Dozer, most machines in my area are as you describe. I think the brand is Allison. The one at this CU is an older type. It has a basket on top you dump your coins into, then lift the basket which dumps the coins into the machine. You can see right into that sucker.

About 3 years ago these machines were all over my area, but now almost all have been replaced by the Allison machines. These older machine do not reject silver. Man I wish I could by the bags off this machine. This CU does not allow it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread