Large Wheat Dump

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
Went to a number of banks today. At one of them, I asked for $70 in dimes, $30 in quarters (looking for the 2019 W), and $5 in cents.
Dimes were a skunk and quarters gave up nothing. I have maybe seen 1 2019 quarter thus far.

The cent rolls were old school looking, so when I went to my car, I opened one, and it was solid wheat, so I went back in and got more. All in got $10 in cents

Of those got $6.64 in wheats - mostly from late 1930s-1950s, but the lot included a 1909 (not VDB) in XF, a 1943S (zinc coating worn off - in pic), 1916, 1918, 1919, 1920, 1926, 27, 28, and 29. 4 are BU with mint lustre (1946, 1951, 1956, 1957D). Now for the year, I have searched $685.50 in cents, and have gotten 1,027 wheats and 2 IH, for a hit rate of 1.50%. Before today, the hit rate was 0.54% for the year.

wheats5 5-24.jpg wheats4 5-24.jpg

wheats1 5-24.jpg wheats2 5-24.jpg wheats3 5-24.jpg

Also, last weekend got my second IH of the year in a roll, an 1883

IH 5-18.jpg

Upvote 0

Ranger Chuck

Apr 6, 2018
Central PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet find. I love finding wheat penny dumps like this. Seeing those old wrappers sure gets your heart pumping! Congrats on this haul!

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would take everyone of them for you if your collection is getting to big.. I am a wheat junkie or is it a wheat germ?

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That 1943 caught my eye. There wasn't a zinc coating on the 1943's, they were solid steel. That being said, if that one is copper, you have some serious money there. There was some fakery going on with copper plating the steel pennies, but if that is real you are in the bucks. Have an expert look at it and a quick test would be if a magnet sticks to it, it is a fake. Another way they faked them would be with a doctored 1948 penny. Good luck.

Last edited:

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
There was no zinc coating on the 1943. It was steel, from top to bottom. Yours does not look like steel. So either it is fake, or it is a WAY valuable copper 1943.

Check it with a magnet. See if it sticks. I don't know if you said all that as a joke, or don't know that it should be steel in color, but what ypou hvae there is not a normal penny. Either valuable or doctored. Find out which, and let us know.

OP
OP
C

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
There was no zinc coating on the 1943. It was steel, from top to bottom. Yours does not look like steel. So either it is fake, or it is a WAY valuable copper 1943.

Check it with a magnet. See if it sticks. I don't know if you said all that as a joke, or don't know that it should be steel in color, but what ypou hvae there is not a normal penny. Either valuable or doctored. Find out which, and let us know.

If you look in the red book, they term 1943 cents as steel coated with zinc. Although i am not a chemist, my sense is that it is probably fairly easy to dip the coin in something and remove the zinc coating.
What i found is a standard steel coin i tested with a magnet.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe you have a fake copper 1943 there. Very neat find.

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you look in the red book, they term 1943 cents as steel coated with zinc. Although i am not a chemist, my sense is that it is probably fairly easy to dip the coin in something and remove the zinc coating.
What i found is a standard steel coin i tested with a magnet.

I guess the point we were trying to make is in your photo the 1943 looks like it is copper. We were trying to help you make lots of money if is indeed copper. Your welcome.

OP
OP
C

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
I guess the point we were trying to make is in your photo the 1943 looks like it is copper. We were trying to help you make lots of money if is indeed copper. Your welcome.

I apologize if my response came off as rude. Yeah, it did look like it was copper. I tested it with a magnet and it stuck, so it is steel. I think that someone either removed the zinc coating or maybe someone plated it with either copper or something that resembles copper.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice group of OLD Wheaties, for sure a collection dump. Congrats again.

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV (hobby lobby 40% off ;-) )
Primary Interest:
Other
Great wheats, but love the Indian Head there, congrats and keep it up man!

OP
OP
C

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
Sweet find. I love finding wheat penny dumps like this. Seeing those old wrappers sure gets your heart pumping! Congrats on this haul!

Thanks. Funny that you mention the wrappers. There have been times when I get handed the old style wrappers (either in pennies, nickels, dimes, or halves) and I think I am about to hit the jackpot and when I go to open them it turns out to be recent coins - skunks. I hate it when that happens.

Ranger Chuck

Apr 6, 2018
Central PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate it when that happens too. I just recently picked up about $20 of pennies in similar red wrappers. Before I opened them, I was thinking it might be a collection dump full of wheats. It turned out to be someone's copper dump. 85% we're copper memorial cents with a few 80's vintage zincs thrown in. I did manage to pull one wheat penny from the lot - a 1957d. I don't usually save copper, so I cherry picked a few red BU coins and dumped the rest.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the cents! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread