Trip to a local Coin Show.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Went this morning to a coin show 15-miles away. Turn out to be very disappointing, vendors were already packing up with still 3-hrs of show remaining. I was trying to "FLIP" some of my old foreign, old US, and US currency. They appeared to be NOT INTERESTED in buying, only selling. I hope I don't have to go the route of selling my junk silver, or the rest of my big collection to any fly by night.

Upvote 0

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is so frustrating. Sundays are the worst since only a few dealers hang around for even part of the day. I don't know why they even advertise Sunday hours.

Went to a big semi-annual show last month hoping to meet one of my favorite dealers who specializes in coins of the 18th century and earlier. Changed my work schedule (swapped days with a co-worker) and got there at noon Saturday...only to see him packing up. Turns out he had made a big sale and was closing up shop for the remainder of the weekend. :BangHead:

I was pretty upset. Here was a guy with whom I've spent 100's of dollars on multiple visits and he couldn't be bothered to hang around another few hours in an absolutely packed bourse. Best he could manage was to slide me a box of foreigns to look thru that were way out of my price range...as he was switching off and disconnecting his lamps.

Not sure if the dealer contracts have provisions about how long they have to stay, but they damn well should. >:(

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Dozer,

Please don’t sell your junk silver to the fly by night types. I’ve only sold “junk” silver once. It was 40% halves, mixed years, back when silver was making its run up to $48/oz. I sold some at a little under $30/oz. and got 94% of melt value at the time from APMEX. They were very easy to deal with. If it’s actual “junk” silver (i.e. broken jewelry, silverware, other sterling stuff), you might look into Midwest Refineries. It seems that I read here on TNet that they’re pretty fair, price-wise, and easy to deal with. I’m sure that some folks here have dealt with them and can provide more information.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Early departures or no-shows by dealers on the last day of a coin show is something that has been going on for at least the past 40 years. Some coin show organizers know it is a problem and some make at least some attempt to warn/threaten/cajole/penalize or otherwise try to pressure dealers to stay. Dealers leaving the night before the last day save a night's hotel and might get a cheaper flight out. There's no excuse for locals. It wouldn't hurt to send a brief email to the coin show organizer to complain.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread