Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently quit searching dimes when the boxes changed to all new 2018's. I'd love to buy bags of dimes - and I assume this requires buying where there is a coin machine. But my banks and the credit unions won't sell bags. Also, it doesn't seem to make sense to buy where I dump in a coin machine, so I'm wondering if you bag buyers have found a branch where you don't dump that will sell you bags?

All advice appreciated! Thanks.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Megalodon

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
If the bank you are dumping can sell the bags off the machine, by all means find a different dump bank, even if you have to reroll the coins., just to be able to BUY FULL BAGS is preferred.

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if this still works, but many moons ago I knew a company that had soda and candy machines in many locations. I would make a trip to their main office on a Friday and buy bags of unsearched dimes that they collected from the machines. I did pretty well back then, but that was in the mid 1970's.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
You'll have to dig in the archives but I've recommended in the past to find new branches of banks that have opened in the recent past. Not much logic to it, but apparently corporate decides how much to initially stock new branches. I came across this bit of info when I was actively searching dimes. The vault manager was so thankful that I asked for a box as their business customers only asked for $50-$100 in dimes at a time. They were initially stocked with so many boxes of dimes that they had them stacked against the wall in the vault out in the open. I was welcome to get as many boxes as I wanted as I worked through their inventory.

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV (hobby lobby 40% off ;-) )
Primary Interest:
Other
If I'm you, try speaking with a vault manager at whichever branches you go to that has coin machines. State what you're doing, and that you'd like to purchase bags. Ask if they can say when they transfer coins as well. My CU prefers I do bags to rolls to save on waste paper and time on both ends. I pick up and dump at the same bank, haven't really had any issues, as they were nice enough to tell me their schedule. I exchange coins the day before the trucks take them away each week. I basically get all the cent bags they have on that day, then over the course of the week work through whatever else I want. If I get dimes one day, I know I can only get them again when I dump, otherwise the well is poisoned, so to speak, for the rest of the week. After a week, I just repeat the process. Now, mind you, I work in mainly cents, so this is quite do-able, having bags of cents laying around for a week is a LOT less expensive than dimes. Guess that depends on volume and whatnot. Maybe you could start off at a bag a week, then work your way up if it works well on both sides or something. But thats all I did and its worked for a year so far.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
You don’t need a machine to buy dimes.
My five banks kept their dimes turned in by businesses/civilian to the tune of about $1k per month.
$500/1,000 worth in rolls per bank.
Very few banks here (dozens) have coin counters.
They didn’t mind my buying and maybe I saved them money.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My one bank has a coin counter and absolutely will not sell a bag. It's getting to be a rare thing a bank will sell a bag these days.

OP
OP
Megalodon

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My one bank has a coin counter and absolutely will not sell a bag. It's getting to be a rare thing a bank will sell a bag these days.

I think we are both in the same boat.

OP
OP
Megalodon

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spoke to my credit unions yesterday about buying bags off their machines. No and No. One just left it at "policy" but the other office manager provided details. Seems like they used to sell bags and she had no issues with it. But some CRHers complained about bags being short a few coins, usually just a couple of pennies slipped into dime bags. When the complaints reached HQ, they forbid their branches from selling bags. I really can't blame them. I'll ask for CWRs instead.

Thanks to all who took the time to post helpful responses.

Uncleslick18

Oct 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I really think it depends on the employees. For example, the Cu I get bags from here has several branches in the area, all branches tell me no, citing policy much as you have described above, but the one branch that sells to me, the guy is more than happy to sell them to me, he even helps me carry them to my car (which I feel bad about). The point being is I feel like this issue is really situational. I think it 99% boils down to they just don’t want to deal with someone like one of us who wants to buy bags of change from their CU. I’m not really sure what difference it makes, I think you just need to be persistent. I assured the guy that he’d
Never see another cent being dumped there by me, and I haven’t kept to close of an eye, but i think the most I’ve
Ever been ‘shorted’ on a bag of dimes is $.50, which I am happy to keep quiet about, since opening a bag is about two hours less time consuming than opening 4 boxes worth of rolls, and almost always more fruitful when it comes to finding silver.

Bottom line I think you need to just keep looking until you find somewhere that will sell to you

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
I think we are both in the same boat.

"Those were the days my friend
We thought they'd never end..."

It is either a box of pre-rolled coins, then put them back into rolls, or nothing.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of good info try different banks for sure

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no "magic" formula that always works and even when it does work, it is subject to change at any time.

1) Some will say no because it truly is the bank's policy. What used to be my main bank to buy bags at was bought out by another bank. Although it is the same coin machine and same employees, they can no longer sell coins from the coin machine.

Also note that this same bank sold to me while telling almost everyone else that they wouldn't sell bags off the machine prior to being sold because I had been doing it for so long. Part of it is that I never brought them back and I never complained about the count being off. I would politely tell the lead teller when the counts drifted too far either way (my personal rule was +/-$2 in dimes), but I never asked for a refund when low and offered to repay them when it was in my favor. She never took any repayment.

2) I've had other banks where the policy was a "branch" policy and not a "bank" policy. In that case, someone complained about a miscount and as a result myself and a few other CRHers got shut out and could no longer buy bags from that bank. At the same time I could still buy bags from other branches even though I was told it was a "bank" policy not allow it.

3) From there it just comes down to whether the teller is willing to do so and knows how to fill out the necessary paperwork on their end to do it.

My advice would be to ask around and you may need to talk to the lead teller, many of the junior tellers might just say "no" because they aren't sure if they are allowed to sell them.

Also, I have heard stories from tellers where a customer demands the bags of coins off the machine. Please don't do that, just be friendly and ask politely. Also don't be discouraged if you are told "no" as most banks probably won't sell them to you.

If in an area with very few banks or very few banks with coin machines, you may just be out of luck.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Megalodon, If there were bags around here I'd most likely know about them but kudos for keeping the search alive. I found those dunbar 1/2 rolls. Most likely the rolls that were taken when the guy took only part of the box or yours if you reroll into the dunbar rolls. They were on Joppa Rd. Here in the city I get offered dime bags on every corner every day now that they decriminalized them. But thats not the type we're after lol. I should PM you where I dump and vice versa so we stop buying each others dumps. It'd save us wasted effort and we'd be able to dump more effectively. Just saying.

OP
OP
Megalodon

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Tommybuckets,
I don't re-roll my halves, even when they would be easy to re-roll, which the Dunbar rolls are not (I use a small wire cutter to snip the tight crimp). I'm sure that we are not buying each other's dumps directly but we may be fishing in the same pond if the sorting center is the same. There are several sorting centers in the area and of course, we can't know which one is sorting & rolling the coins we each buy.

I suggest we (you, me, smokeycat) formalize the division of the CRH Empire in this state into regional kingdoms. When we meet, we should approve the secret CRH handshake that appropriately copies a skunk digging for a juicy grub.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
The only way I’ve been able to buy bags is after spending a loooong time building a relationship with the tellers and manager, and even then having to assure them multiple times that I wouldn’t raise a stink no matter how short the bag was. Even so, it was only that branch that would sell me bags; other branches of the same bank refused to do so. As with most things CRH related, you get the best results by building good relationships.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why us old timers didn't like people spreading the news about crhing. We kept a low profile. Others marched into the banks and either demanded boxes or complained about bags being short!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread